• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

For Greentree: I think there's upside and assuming he can fix his skating, might be a top-6 forward. If not, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't at least a third line winger in the NHL.

Boisvert: Undervalued because of the league he plays in. I get the feeling he'd be ranked higher if he was in the Q. Like with Greentree, I wish his skating was better.

Mews: Good (not great) offensive instincts, completely lost in his own end. Him improving his defense enough isn't a bet I'd be comfortable taking.

Chicago will be all over it

They have 18 plus a lot more. I can see them overpaying to jump to 10.

But does NJD want draft picks? They clearly need a goalie and sandpaper.

Chicago has a 🦭-ton of picks, but what do they have for a team that was supposed to make the playoffs this year?

For Greentree: I think there's upside and assuming he can fix his skating, might be a top-6 forward. If not, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't at least a third line winger in the NHL.

Boisvert: Undervalued because of the league he plays in. I get the feeling he'd be ranked higher if he was in the Q. Like with Greentree, I wish his skating was better.

Mews: Good (not great) offensive instincts, completely lost in his own end. Him improving his defense enough isn't a bet I'd be comfortable taking.
Scouting reports from Elite Prospects:

#15 Greentree:
There aren’t many players in all this draft who did more with less than Liam Greentree this past season.

Stuck on a rebuilding Windsor Spitfires team that couldn’t keep the puck out of their net and finished second-last in the OHL standings with 44 points, the Oshawa-born right winger thrived to the tune of 90 points in 64 games, 24 clear of his next highest-scoring teammate.

It’s a fitting outcome, given the way Greentree plays. There’s no keeping him down, and lord knows, the opposition tried. Pay close enough attention during a Spitfires game and you’re likely to see two, sometimes three skaters converging on the bruising winger anytime the puck is on his stick.

How does Greentree respond? By playing through that contact and weaponizing it against his opponents. You’re going to hear him called a power forward in the weeks leading up to the draft, and there’s an element of truth to it, but we think of him as more of a power playmaker, specifically. Someone who invites pressure, buries the shoulder as it arrives, and then reaches around his opponents to connect with his linemates in open ice.

With that hard skill comes the intelligence and cunning that make him one of the most effective distributors in his class. Greentree navigates his way around opponents with a series of look-offs, give-and-goes, and a sophisticated delay game that allows him to problem-solve his way around numbers off the rush. He’s constantly scanning, registering his options and the obstacles that would keep him from getting them the puck.

Playmaking is the marquee dimension in Greentree’s game, but he’s still a legitimate dual-threat scorer, mainly owing to his handling ability. Whether it’s driving the net and dangling his way to the scoresheet or manoeuvring around opponents to improve the condition of his shot – he’s had no problems finishing plays in his time in the OHL.

So, yeah, Greentree has the muscle of a bygone era, but with the elegance of a modern twist; like a contemporary rerelease of a muscle car from the 60s.

And were he only a step or two faster, there’s a good chance you’d have read about him several pages earlier. That’s the catch with Greentree. For all his skill, sense, and robust physical play, he’s just a step too slow at the moment. His mechanics are awkward, and the result is a lack of agility and explosiveness that may limit his effectiveness as he makes his way to the NHL.

Then again, Greentree would hardly be the first player to add a step or two between his draft year and his eventual NHL debut, and if he does, there isn’t any reason he can’t be a highly effective top-six playmaking winger.

#26 Boisvert:

Sacha Boisvert can do everything: Score from distance, score in tight, set up chances, throw thunderous hits, and shut down the opposition. It’s that well-roundedness that kept himself inside our top-25 nearly the entire draft cycle.

Inside the offensive zone, Boisvert is a goalscorer. A deceptive wrister and powerful one-timer make him a threat from distance, while his net-front skills and off-puck timing drive his in-tight finishing.

A dual-threat scorer, Boisvert also makes just about every pass in the book, easily navigating layers of sticks with slip and saucer passes, even off the backhand. The passing skills appear mostly off the rush, finding cross-ice targets for high-value entries and faking the shot to prepare the cross-slot lane.

In his best games, Boisvert’s puck control and manipulation skills take centre stage. He knocks tricky passes out of his mid-air and pulls them through his body. Along the boards, he pulls pucks off the wall and attacks the inside in one smooth motion. Instead of passing instantly, he shifts the defence toward him before passing to the middle-lane driver.

In just about every game down the stretch, Boisvert’s power forward game and attention to detail were constants. He’s a physical, hard-hitting player who opens games with intensity and eliminates his check. He blends his physicality with his shot on drives and passing to make escape the boards.

There is lots of room for Boisvert to improve. Our team was divided on Boisvert’s vision. He left a lot of value on the table some nights by not scanning before throwing the puck into a closed lane. However, there was no debate about Boisvert’s skating. He lacks lower body flexion; his stride is lumbering and he lacks suddenness and explosiveness to separate from him his edges. Many of his best plays go incomplete as a result. His skill set means that he won’t need to be an NHL average skater to play, but he will have to get a lot closer.

For Boisvert, development comes first. Starting next season, he’ll hone his craft with the North Dakota Fighting Hawks. If he keeps improving his skating, he should become a middle-six, perhaps second-line, power forward.

#53 Mews:

We thought Henry Mews had a good chance to be a first-round prospect coming into the season. And, for a time, that’s where he seemed destined to finish the year.

There’s a lot to like in Mews’ offensive game. Every time his teammates turn to look for a passing outlet, he’s right there in a pocket of space. He walks the line and skates all over the opposing zone in search of passing plays and shooting lanes. And he’s got enough deception and shiftiness to beat defenders 1-on-1, veil his plays, and complete them at a high rate.

At the 2024 U18 World Hockey Championship, he developed an undeniable chemistry with some of the team’s top talents. And the same could happen at the NHL level. On a power play and even at 5-on-5, he initiated high cycle and give-and-goes and kept the puck in possession of his team.

“Tons of activations for Mews,” wrote Elite Prospects OHL scout Lauren Kelly in a March game report. “Slip passes under pressure, walking into space and funneling pucks to the backdoor, always hunting pockets of space. He walked the line and thread the puck through traffic for the first goal, and he got even more space to work with in overtime, which is how he had all the time in the world to end the game.”

His smooth skating style also fuels his defensive game. He backtracks, keeps a neutral positioning, and pushes players to the outside.

But Mews’ game lacks pace. The puck stays on his stick too long, lanes close in front of him, and he commits turnovers. He puts himself in positions where he either has to force a play or lose the puck. And he lacks stopping power in the defensive zone.

“He’s continuing to rack up points, but it feels like his game lacks a bit of dynamic offence and higher-end skill,” wrote Kelly in a January report. “He’s at his most dangerous on the rush, working give-and-gos and moving the puck up the ice quickly to expose slower skating defenders.”

Mews struggles to immobilize players and box them out. He’s not winning back, retrieving, and moving pucks at a high enough rate at the junior level. And these defensive zone issues could be magnified at the professional level.

There’s a risk that Mews ends up a Quad-A type of player, stuck between the AHL and the NHL, without the ability to win a long-term role with the franchise that takes him in this year’s draft.

That said, the defenceman’s all-around projectable tools, offensive inclination, and playmaking talent does give him significant upside, too. With some work on his defensive zone play and risk management, Mews could become a number four, two-way force, and an enabler of his team’s offence.

Having the 5th and 10th picks would be interesting. If the top forward they want is not available at 5, they can take Dickinson then take one of Sennecke/Eiserman or Iginla at 10. Or Catton if he is still available.

Back