• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

just caught the habs-flyers OT and i actually chose to cheer for the habs.

holy shit are they terrible.
That was a putrid game. Really terrible.

I think it's telling it took the shootout to beat them though. Flyers are pretenders.

We'll take Draisaitl then thanks
If you got him, that would be a massive coup and could actually change the future outlook, whereas I don't see anything major happening there without any elite players, no top picks coming up since you're not going to finish at the bottom, and the usual lack of interest from UFAs.

Flubbing pretty much all the high 1sts you had, or trading the one really good one (Sergachev), or losing one for picks (Kotkaniemi) sort of killed the rebuild imo. Getting someone like Drai and then finding a way to pull a top talent or two out of middle 1sts is the only way to turn things around. But I told Frenemy that I think you're going to go from one rebuild straight into another most likely, when this doesn't pan out in 3-4 more years of trying.

If you got him, that would be a massive coup and could actually change the future outlook, whereas I don't see anything major happening there without any elite players, no top picks coming up since you're not going to finish at the bottom, and the usual lack of interest from UFAs.

Flubbing pretty much all the high 1sts you had, or trading the one really good one (Sergachev), or losing one for picks (Kotkaniemi) sort of killed the rebuild imo. Getting someone like Drai and then finding a way to pull a top talent or two out of middle 1sts is the only way to turn things around. But I told Frenemy that I think you're going to go from one rebuild straight into another most likely, when this doesn't pan out in 3-4 more years of trying.
1705004557844.gif

So since this is the around the league thread let's think about this for a moment. In the last ten years or so:

The Bruins have been the picture of consistency for several years now. No cups.

The Leafs have a handful of extremely dynamic forwards. No cups.

Edmonton has had two of the top 5 players in the league for years. No cups.

It's fun and all to throw mud but there still isn't a proven way to win. Not at all. It usually boils down to health and goalies. Every year. Even last year, Vegas got very lucky goaltending.

So while opining is fun, it remains just that, you're opinion. And the fact you still watch intently even after the NHL has shown it's a serious bush league means you're no smarter than the rest of us idiots that keep watching.

Happy New Year!

I don't think I ever claimed anything I said to be anything more than just my opinion.

And I wasn't throwing mud either. I actually said I thought something positive could happen if you did land a huge talent like Drai and got lucky with one or two of the later picks, like the Bruins did with Pasta.

So since this is the around the league thread let's think about this for a moment. In the last ten years or so:

The Bruins have been the picture of consistency for several years now. No cups.

The Leafs have a handful of extremely dynamic forwards. No cups.

Edmonton has had two of the top 5 players in the league for years. No cups.

It's fun and all to throw mud but there still isn't a proven way to win. Not at all. It usually boils down to health and goalies. Every year. Even last year, Vegas got very lucky goaltending.

So while opining is fun, it remains just that, you're opinion. And the fact you still watch intently even after the NHL has shown it's a serious bush league means you're no smarter than the rest of us idiots that keep watching.

Happy New Year!

Boston really is a funny case.

For all the love their core group gets for being so good for so long…if it wasn’t for a random midget Euro-league/minor-pro vet goalie suddenly becoming good in his 30’s, then even more randomly putting in an all-time great playoff goaltending performance at 37–Chara, Bergeron, Marchand & the rest would all go down in history as all-time playoff underachievers and chokers.

Yeah he leaves the Edmonton media for the French Montreal one.

If ever there was a stud thats going to sign somewhere weird where he gets left the fuck alone its Leon. I'd be stunned if he signed in Canada.

Considering Drai often looks even more dead inside than McDavid, you have to figure he’ll be headed to whichever sunny, warm, non-hockey market with a half-decent team that’ll give him the biggest truckload of money.

The difference between an all time great team and just a cup winner is slim.

Hawks were 3/3
Pens 3/4
Kings 2/2
Tampa 2/4
Bruins were 1/3
Vegas 1/2
Wings 1/2

They had their chances.

Back