• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

And calling Kuemper a significant invesment is a stretch.

He was making $4.5 for 1yr and only had ever played more than 29gms once prior in his career.

Kuemper cost a 1st, a 3rd and a recent 32nd overall pick.

Significant investment

Binnington and Murray were not elite prospects. That's a lie.

Fucking nonsense.

Binnington D+1: .932 (OHL - 50gp)
Binngton D+2: .916 (AHL - 47gp)

He was then a very good to elite AHL goalie for the next few seasons until St Louis finally gave him a shot at 25.

If we had a 3rd round pick do that in his first two seasons, you would be wearing pijamas with his face on it.

Murray put up a .940 in the AHL at 20, and then .931 as a 21 yr old before the call up. If that's not an elite goalie prospect, they don't exist.

It’s not that common. Niemi, Binnington, Murray, Hill. It happens for sure but most cups have been won by teams investing in goalies.

Since the lockout 7 cups were won with goalies drafted in the 1st or acquired for a 1st (Ward, Vasilevskiey x 2, Fleury x 3, Kuemper). Crawford was a second round pick that was cheap for one cup and expensive for another. Same with Quick. Holtby, Thomas, Giguere (Bob?) were big money goalies.

Osgood/Hasek won in 08 and they were cheap, but names.

Not to mention that all the expensive goalies that you supposedly can’t win with made long runs to the finals. lundqvist, Luongo, Rinne, Price etc.

And this is consistent with Doms research that shows the average cup winner has a top 10 goalie.

The issue is paying/paying for goalies that aren’t high end because there isn’t a huge difference between the 10-15th ish best goalie and the 40th ish best goalie. So it’s a mistake to pay guys in that range like we have done (or worse than that which we have also done).

But the data just doesn’t bear that it is impossible to evaluate goaltending and you should never invest in goalies.

If a team has a chance to acquire a top goalie, for example Ullmark or Sarros, it would be a good move and the majority of cup winners have had a goalie like that.

Not to mention that all the expensive goalies that you supposedly can’t win with made long runs to the finals. lundqvist, Luongo, Rinne, Price etc.
Which helps pay for themselves. What would round two and three put in MLSE pockets? Way more than paying a goalie.

The obvious takeaway is that your goalie draft and develop should be fueled by crystal meth and mexican athletic supplements. If you want value goalies, that's the way.

Draft goalies every year and in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I want to play a quick game of: What if we just took the next fucking goalie on the board? All goalie alternatives were the 1st or 2nd goalie taken after these picks. So we're not talking about needing some stroke of drafting genius here. Just prioritizing taking goalies in higher rounds to secure a top ~5 goalie prospect in that particular draft, more or less every draft.

2010:
Brad Ross: Cal Pickard
McKegg/Olden: Scott Wedgewood

2011:
Josh Leivo: Jordan Binnington

2012:
Matt Finn: Anthony Stolarz

2013:
Carter Verhaege: Juuse Saros

2014:
Rinat Valiev: Elvis Merzlikins
JJ Piccinich: Kaapo Kahkonen

2015:
Dermott: Mackenzie Blackwood
Bracco/Nielsen/Dzierkals: Dan Vladar

We took goalies in 2016 & 2017 in this range (Ian Scott and Woll).

2018:
Durzi: Annunen
SDA/Stotts: Dostal

After this we start drafting goalies more often, but also more draft picks in general. It's hard to prioritize any position when you've got 3 picks to work with.

Which helps pay for themselves. What would round two and three put in MLSE pockets? Way more than paying a goalie.

But if we paid a goalie we might not have enough cap space to keep bringing in dogshit veterans that block us from playing our kids and that just wouldn't be Leaf hockey.

well there's that

Not winning the cup sucks, not winning a round? I can't imagine and that's not a dig. I just can't.

So deep runs do help the fan spirit, of that I can testify. You should try it. Just pick the right guy

well there's that

Not winning the cup sucks, not winning a round? I can't imagine and that's not a dig. I just can't.

So deep runs do help the fan spirit, of that I can testify. You should try it. Just pick the right guy
How dare you? We won a round.

Back