• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

25 years old put up 70+ pts 2 seasons ago and 50+ this past year. Is he awful at all other aspects of the game or demanding $10MM a season?

1st + appears like a reasonable cost.

Another case of a guy given every opportunity to become a big point producer by a good team who couldn't hang on to the big minute role. His jump in points in 22/23 were entirely due to PP assists.

He's been a 1.8-1.9 P/60 guy at 5v5 for most of his career. Which is fine, but again just fine. Knies was 1.97 as a rookie last year, Robbie 2.36. You can't go throwing a bag at a guy who is really only a ~50 point type guy without PP1 minutes.

Also, we should get Skinner...
If Skinner wants to do a 1 year reset and boost his stats with some elite players Toronto is the perfect fit, well, one of them.

If he still wants a bag there are some bad teams probably looking for a top 6, or in some cases top 3 W that probably has no problem giving him a 2-3 year deal at 6-7M

At minimum Skinner on a Marc Savard run PP, is very interesting.

He's actually been a pretty prolific even strength point producer until last year when he was just pretty good.

If we were ranking him among Leafs the previous seasons in ES points:

21-22
Matthews - 77
Marner - 68
Bunting - 58
Skinner - 52
Tavares - 50
Willy - 49

22-23
Skinner - 63
Willy - 59
Marner - 58
Matthews - 57
Tavares - 41
Bunting - 39

even last year he wasn't bad, he just had his minutes cut substantially, which hurt his raw totals. Also, he doesn't get to play with an Auston, Willy or Mitch.

23-24
Matthews - 77
Willy - 59
Marner - 57
Tavares - 44
Bert - 38
Skinner - 34

Skinner-Auston-Mitch
Robbie-Tavares-Willy
Knies-Domi/Duchene-McMann
Holmberg-Kampf-XXXXXX

Necas could be someone who breaks out a la Hyman. He's still young too. I don't know if you want to give up a high pick AND give him a big contract, but I could see doing one or the other.

Necas could be someone who breaks out a la Hyman.

That's a really bad game to play though. Late career breakouts are incredibly rare and for every "he might be Hyman" there are going to be 50 guys who stay more or less the same player they were at 25 for the rest of their prime.

Fwiw, Necas was a very well scouted 1st round pick who is a perimeter skill monkey. Hyman has been an outlier his entire career. If you're looking for the "next Hyman" a soft 50-60 point winger taken 12th overall and given tons of opportunity is probably the wrong place to be looking.

That's bang on AFP's market value projection, but probably a bit cheap considering taxation (They had 3.44 listed as his market value to a worse 5 tax rate club)

That Joshua deal isnt bad for Canucks standards.

If you told me they were going to re-sign him i would have it expected it to be a deal they needed to trade a 2029 2nd to move 2 years from now

Alvin, might be really good fwiw

Back