• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

It defnitely feels like the skill level is getting better each year.

Also goalie equipment. They've reined it in and they need to continue to keep tabs on it and enforce it. If you want your most talented shooters to shine, you better actually give them some corners to pick.

Wasn't there some old Mogilny quote about "One in the roof is worth two on the ice" or something like that. That's definitely true for the fans. Skilled plays and goals over crease scrambles and deflections makes for better hockey. Keep the goalies in check.

Leivo has been real solid for the Canucks. Possession monster and playing at a 40 point pace. The exact bottom sixer you want on an NHL roster.

Oh and he's got nice size and is great on the cycle... The exact thing that people bitch about the leafs not having enough of (including Babs).

Last edited:
I’m happy he appears to have come around on Justin Holl, at least.

But Leivo still stings a little bit. Could never fathom why Babcock had no use for him.

Take the L on the Leivo argument already.

At 925k he is exactly what you want in your bottom 6

Take the L on the Leivo argument already.

At 925k he is exactly what you want in your bottom 6

When has LOF ever changed his mind or admitted being wrong on one of the players he's randomly decided to hate?

Even Babcock is more flexible in that respect, as Holl is demonstrating so far this season.

Except he's making $1.5

That's a fair point.

Due to his salary, Leivo would have already outlived his usefulness to the team by this point. So the loss to the Leafs is mainly that he could have been cheap, useful depth from around 2015 through to the end of last season, and then actually traded for something of value when we couldn't afford him anymore, instead of traded for a "C" prospect that we contract dumped to the Sens as part of the Brown/Zaitsev/Ceci deal.

When has LOF ever changed his mind or admitted being wrong on one of the players he's randomly decided to hate?

Even Babcock is more flexible in that respect, as Holl is demonstrating so far this season.

That's a fair point.

Due to his salary, Leivo would have already outlived his usefulness to the team by this point. So the loss to the Leafs is mainly that he could have been cheap, useful depth from around 2015 through to the end of last season, and then actually traded for something of value when we couldn't afford him anymore, instead of traded for a "C" prospect that we contract dumped to the Sens as part of the Brown/Zaitsev/Ceci deal.

I mean, come on already. Everyone thought he was some awesome top six player being held back by Babs. He’s just not. If he were here, most of you would’ve turned on him by now and would want him out the door. He’s not a top six player on Vancouver either. There’s nothing for me to admit to being wrong about. He’s a one dimensional player who doesn’t even excel at that one dimension.

I mean, come on already. Everyone thought he was some awesome top six player being held back by Babs. He’s just not. If he were here, most of you would’ve turned on him by now and would want him out the door. He’s not a top six player on Vancouver either. There’s nothing for me to admit to being wrong about. He’s a one dimensional player who doesn’t even excel at that one dimension.

It's weird that you have to make up straw-men to blow over, instead of just discussing this honestly.

Contrary to your assertions, I think I’m a pretty honest guy. I changed my mind about bringing back JVR for instance. It would’ve been a mistake and Kappy/Johnsson have proven themselves capable. But there’s no straw man here. Leivo is an overpaid and underperforming bottom line player.

if we want to be honest, let’s put our hands up if anyone said Leivo was going to be a slam dunk high producing top 6 player on any other team if we dealt him

Leivo is an overpaid and underperforming bottom line player.

Are we really doing this again?

2.51 points per 60 this season. That would be 4th on the Leafs. 53% possession.

It's not a lucky streak either. 6.5% shooting percentage, 10.1% on ice shooting%

He is what he is. A good middle 6 winger who has some offensive ability, great at managing puck possession, can compliment high skill players well. Fuck out of here with "overpaid and underperforming". If you can't admit you're wrong here, then no, you're not capable of it.

Contrary to your assertions, I think I’m a pretty honest guy. I changed my mind about bringing back JVR for instance. It would’ve been a mistake and Kappy/Johnsson have proven themselves capable. But there’s no straw man here. Leivo is an overpaid and underperforming bottom line player.

if we want to be honest, let’s put our hands up if anyone said Leivo was going to be a slam dunk high producing top 6 player on any other team if we dealt him

Who ever said he was a top 6 player. Pretty sure everyone was saying he was just a solid cheap bottom 6 guy, which is what he was then and still is now.

Who ever said he was a top 6 player. Pretty sure everyone was saying he was just a solid cheap bottom 6 guy, which is what he was then and still is now.

I'm as bullish on Leivo as pretty much anyone here, and I've always referred to him as a middle 6 winger. It's semantics, but "top 6" to me is a guy who can realistically play on your top line and compliment your best players well. Johnsson/Kappy are probably good examples of "top 6" wingers.

Leivo isn't that. But he's way too good to play on your 4th line either (as he's proven every time he's been given an opportunity now, in Toronto and Vancouver). But he's not good enough to play on your 1st line in anything but an emergency situation. Can competently play on your 2nd line (with better players) and can legitimately help drive the bus on a 3rd line.

He’s lucky he plays in this era where crap players are millionaires or he would be driving a bus once his career comes to a close.

Back