• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

It’s unfair how good that Bruins top line is. It’s unbelievable. Not sure if they’re beatable this year.

It’s unfair how good that Bruins top line is. It’s unbelievable. Not sure if they’re beatable this year.
Love how they move around and don’t just stay in position like on the power play. They literally create their own space.

Boston seem to be generating much more in "home plate" while the Leafs are focusing more volume on the right circle (Matthews wheel house)

Leafs 19/20 PP Shot Locations

Opp - 48
SF - 69
SA- 15
GF - 9
GA- 1

1572964447117.png

Bruins 19/20 PP Shot Locations

Opp - 49
SF - 76
SA - 25
GF - 15
GA - 0

1572964535202.png

Boston seem to be generating much more in "home plate" while the Leafs are focusing more volume on the right circle (Matthews wheel house)

Leafs 19/20 PP Shot Locations

Opp - 48
SF - 69
SA- 15
GF - 9
GA- 1

View attachment 5112

Bruins 19/20 PP Shot Locations

Opp - 49
SF - 76
SA - 25
GF - 15
GA - 0

View attachment 5113

What's even better is that so many of their home plate chances come with guys wide open in front against a moving goalie.

I posted the breakdowns coming into the season and said that I found the Bruins much scarier than the bolts, so I'm not surprised at their start......that being said, they're still just the same team as last year, and no scarier than they were then.

I mean the Bruins got crushed last night by an undermanned pens team. But when you're hot you're hot.

That's the thing though. Everyone always talks about them being a one line team, but that one line can pretty much score at will.

I haven't watched any of their games other than the ones against us, but in the past week, I've seen all their highlights and they are literally videogame moves. I can't recall players being as dazzling and unstoppable as Pastrnak and Marchand for so many games in a row. When I saw they had another multipoint game last night, at first I thought I was looking at old news, but then saw the highlights and saw they did it again. Those two guys are unbelievable. They're so good they make Bergeron an afterthought. And make me jealous that we're not seeing our big 3 look like that, when I think we all expected they were even more talented than those guys.

to be fair, our guys would look a lot better if all you watched were their scoring highlights.

but the bruins are still the same bruins. those guys aren't actually better than they were last year, they're just scorching hot. their top guys are on pace for 170pts, and Rask has a .949sv%. they're awesome, but not this awesome.

The Bruins top line is a good example of familiarity helping out as well. All those guys know exactly where to go and they seem to have many different plays that they execute so as to not get figured out quite as easy. Extremely evident on the PP where I feel they must be basically calling plays out there because once someone rotates into another position, everyone reacts and changes spots.

One thing I hate that the Leafs do is the same zone entry play on the PP, why not mix it up and not have to have everything go perfectly to get zone time? Like the Bruins, the leafs top PP should be moving around as well to generate space and open looks. We certainly have the talent for that.

Reactions: BG

There's a few teams that seem to be closer to the goal than us, but if you don't take the media-driven narrative that for some reason we have to win this year, you can relax and enjoy the process.

I can anyways.
I figure maybe we get our act together this year, but between the Bruins looking great again, Tampa probably on a mission this post-season...not to mention some of the stuff going on in the West...and our looking mediocre, maybe this year is just the year we lose the coach and bring Sheldon in.

I have this feeling that Sandin and Liljegren will be important parts of the team that gets to the finals.

I don’t think Lilly could do any worse than this version of Barrie at a fraction of the cost. Sandin probably does better than Muzzin too. Maybe they should both be allowed to walk, and Ceci is brought back at the same price.

Even when the cap goes up we will be crunchy, guys like Sandin and Lilly are going to be very important.

Captain Obvious says every penny you can save in one position can be spent somewhere else.

Even when the cap goes up we will be crunchy, guys like Sandin and Lilly are going to be very important.

Captain Obvious says every penny you can save in one position can be spent somewhere else.

I don't know about that man. The cap is probably primed to explode shortly (like, triple digits within 4 years) and those kids aren't likely to have the same kind of pull that Willy-Mitch-Auston had.

Fwiw, Elliott has floated the conspiracy theory that the league and the PA have made a handshake deal to try to keep the salary cap under control until the new US TV contract (and the Seattle expansion money) start flowing (21-22). Both sides know that they can't keep the dam from bursting after that, but it was the price of renewing the existing CBA without the PA wanting to reopen the escrow issue.

The Bruins top line is a good example of familiarity helping out as well. All those guys know exactly where to go and they seem to have many different plays that they execute so as to not get figured out quite as easy. Extremely evident on the PP where I feel they must be basically calling plays out there because once someone rotates into another position, everyone reacts and changes spots.

One thing I hate that the Leafs do is the same zone entry play on the PP, why not mix it up and not have to have everything go perfectly to get zone time? Like the Bruins, the leafs top PP should be moving around as well to generate space and open looks. We certainly have the talent for that.

I know the Boons were playing a back to backer, but their top line was outplayed by Danault-Tatar-Gallagher last night.

The line was outshot 11-2, (5 on 5) and had their worst possession game of the season.

Back