• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I loved those guys. Do we know what happened to them?

Sportsline just kinda ended and I never saw them again. So they went to local Vancouver tv and did they last long?
« Sportsline » was still around until 2002 at 11:30pm after Global news. Then The show stayed the same, but simply rebranded itself under the name of « Global sports » from 2002 to 2007 at the same hour, 11:30 pm

global sports/sportsline news anchors : Jim Tatti and Don Martin

Global sports/sportsline Journalists: John Bell, Lori Belanger, Scott Laughlin. Do you Remember them?

Global Ontario permanently axed the entire sports department because of low TV ratings and ferocious competition from TSN/Sportsnet/Thescore/NHL.com/internet in general . They correctly saw there was no point to produce sports news programming, it was a waste of money and useless to do it. You can easily have sports informatuon and news from somewhere else.

Internet, the cable, and big mainstream all around 24/7 sports channels like TSN/Sportsnet killed the local sports shows. And eventually killed the sports department of free, public, government funded channels like CBC.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G79YCfZcbqA

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLP3axZ0ADA&pp=ygUQU3BvcnRzIExpbmUgMTk5OQ%3D%3D

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=thmxsskKEPE&pp=ygUYY2l0aXplbiBjbGFyayBsZWFmcyAxOTk5

Last edited:
I have zero hate for any of the remaining teams. Come to think of it I can't say I hate any team like I did when the Sens were super elite. I was 50% WeHave during that era.

I guess Florida winning would be funny because of the juggernaut thing. But meh. No real preference.
Oilers fan presto over here

what the fuck is with you guys and the avs.

they get an expansion team and get Sakic/Forsberg prime.

then the next generation they fall ass backwards into Mack/Makar on cheap lifetime deals.

fuck the avs.
They built the team we dream of

You're mixing up the chronology. Mario was gone from 1997 to 2001. He played from 2001 to 2006.

in 2003, he had 91 points in 67 games.

In 2005, he still had 22 points in 26 games. He was at the end of the line, but still playing. And then Crosby took over.
Love it when LOF drops a stat bomb on sour salty zeke

No one likes a point shot more than Rod the Bod. But ultimately their lack of game breaking talent tends to always catch up to them. They need Marner like the Leafs need Slavin.

and also Fred catches up to them
Yes a better goalie would have given them a chance, but they weren't good enough considering the goalie and special teams that they faced. They needed to dominate them to have a chance to win and they did not beyond bulk low percentage point shots.

Noticed this early in the year, but Keefe's change to create shots on the left circle did not in fact lead to more "playoff goals"

TOR
TOR

I feel so deflated.

It seems like every single team other than the eventual winners can point to shortcomings and long brewing frustrations, and ask for major changes. No team just goes off into the sunset after elimination saying "we are so close, just need a better #3D".

Take the Oilers for instance, McDavid scores 18 points in 10 games, so he isn't even on the same planet as our top guys, but then he goes goalless against a 3rd string goalie, is on the ice for the winning Canucks goal in a crucial game etc. He has not managed to make it too far in the playoffs. The team is considered soft, goaltending and D issues. Same complaints every year.

You take the Canes, they are considered void of game breakers but otherwise solid with some goaltending issues. Have not broken through.

And then you get "juggernauts" in Florida and now VANCOUVER?

I mean wasn't it just yesterday that we were making fun of Jimmmy B for mishandling so many things? Horvat et al. Is this the same team that signed Leafs cast off Mikheyev? Is this the same team that lost a top goalie and are still pushing through?

And Florida. Do you mean to tell me, the GM and his staff sat down and drew up a make up of this team as the ideal team they wanted? Seems to me that they made moves but instead of moves making them good, they suddenly just clicked and made them a juggernaut.

Eh, I think the right approach is to not take a random playoff run as evidence of much at all. Of the teams left really only Colorado and Florida have proven that they can play in the playoffs in any consistent way. Both teams just make a lot of smart moves.

Remember that time we traded Kadri? Well, when Colorado made a similar type of trade they got back Girard, a high 1st that became Byram (which they've turned into Mittelstadt a few years later) and some stuff. We've got....yeah, fucking nothing.

They flat out stole Toews from the Islanders. Identified Lehkonen as under utilized in Montreal (was always a nerdies king) and has played at a 62 point pace since the trade. If Colorado was built like us, with just the few high end forwards and Makar, they would be asking similar questions about why they can't win over there too.

and Florida? They made turning misfit toys into core pieces a fucking cottage industry. It's not surprising that they two organizations most worth emulating right now are the two smartest.

Back