• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

i have a bit of a tough time giving big deals to guys who have never been contributors to a winning team, especially if their isolated impacts are....questionable.

I used to think tough usage on bad teams was always a good excuse....but sometimes you're the reason the team is bad.
This is 10X better than a bridge deal then getting smoked for more like Dahlin when he wanted 8x8 in Buffalo

I remember years ago when people hated the Hughes/B. Tkachuk/ Heiskenan etc.... deals and now look great for their teams

I dont think you get burnt doing this with cost certainty for 8 years at fair salaries

The last thing you want is that Nurse deal on your books or not giving Bouchard the 6x 6.5 his agent was looking at

These massive exit ELC moves dont kill you

You get your core stars locked up for their entire prime career , trade clauses dont kick in for years , and more importantly those contracts are easily moveable for a haul

Seider at 11 mil is foolish but at 8.5 its fine when trash are making 5 mil

I like the Seider and Raymond deals, but man, beyond that Yzerman has signed some brutal deals on that roster. He was tough on them than players like Holl and Chiarot.
Holl and Chariots on fire are gonzo in a few years , bad deals but not as bad as others around the league

This is 10X better than a bridge deal then getting smoked for more like Dahlin when he wanted 8x8 in Buffalo

I remember years ago when people hated the Hughes/B. Tkachuk/ Heiskenan etc.... deals and now look great for their teams

can't play fast and loose with the names here tho.

Heiskanen had proved himself as a #1 dman on a cup finalist before signing that deal.

Guys like the guys on the Sens and the Wings are now suddenly on cap-locked rosters that can't even make the playoffs.

The Raymond deal is an easy bet. He's had a similar first 3 years to Willy, similar cap hit percentage and for 2 extra years.

Seider is now the 13th highest paid dman in the league though. The only way he earns that contract is if he becomes one of the top dmen in the league.

Worked out for some, but also guys like Nurse, Jones, Chabot getting way overpaid.

can't play fast and loose with the names here tho.

Heiskanen had proved himself as a #1 dman on a cup finalist before signing that deal.

Guys like the guys on the Sens and the Wings are now suddenly on cap-locked rosters that can't even make the playoffs.
I get the team success issue but agents and players dont care

Player values are based on future or current comps

If Power/Sanderson and others are making 8ish , Seider isnt taking 5 because Wings dont make the playoffs

I will take Raymond or Slafkovsky 7 days a week over DuBois

I get the team success issue but agents and players dont care

Player values are based on future or current comps

If Power/Sanderson and others are making 8ish , Seider isnt taking 5 because Wings dont make the playoffs

I will take Raymond or Slafkovsky 7 days a week over DuBois

yeah my point is that they're mostly getting paid based on counting stats - but putting up numbers on a bad team is way way different than putting them up on a good team.

yeah my point is that they're mostly getting paid based on counting stats - but putting up numbers on a bad team is way way different than putting them up on a good team.
Agreed but it is what it is , 34 for example was getting paid on any team regardless of team success

No different than other sports

Agreed but it is what it is , 34 for example was getting paid on any team regardless of team success

No different than other sports
yah but it's perfectly reasonable to discuss whether it's worth paying market rates on long-term deals for middle-tier players.

I dunno that $1-2m makes all that much difference tbh.

But locking in huge long salaries to a core that hasn't even competed for a playoffs spot just seems like a dead end to me.

But locking in huge long salaries to a core that hasn't even competed for a playoffs spot just seems like a dead end to me.

If you do the alternative though, you also risk becoming Calgary and having your young star player tell you to get bent once their bridge deal is over.

Then you’re back to square one.

yeah Stevie Y is more and more locking himself into a very mediocre roster...

the shine of his T-Bay days is definitely wearing off. then again, Brisebois is also losing some lustre too...
They haven't had much draft lottery luck and in the end, that matters so much. I don't see much of a real contender emerging anytime soon.

What option do they have

Let the fuckers walk after a bridge deal when agents have you more by the nuts

If the Wings /Sens or Sabres are ever going to compete for anything you need those players locked up

Those contracts are easily moveable for a haul if you need to pivot

What option do they have

Let the fuckers walk after a bridge deal when agents have you more by the nuts

If the Wings /Sens or Sabres are ever going to compete for anything you need those players locked up

Those contracts are easily moveable for a haul if you need to pivot
trade'em

It’s not just 8 years vs bridge. Players seem to come cheaper in the 4-6 year range too

leafs signed Rielly for 6 years at 6.8% of the cap, then he was one of the best offensive d in the league, had Norris nominations and still makes less than Seider on his UFA deal.

Back