• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

I recall the praise Holland used to receive ln these boards for “building a Red Wings powerhouse”...as I pointed out back 15-years ago, Holland the legend is the creation of Mike Illitch’s blank cheque spending ways back in the 90s + Jim Devellano seizing the opportunity of the fall of the Berlin Wall....

I recall the praise Holland used to receive ln these boards for “building a Red Wings powerhouse”...as I pointed out back 15-years ago, Holland the legend is the creation of Mike Illitch’s blank cheque spending ways back in the 90s + Jim Devellano seizing the opportunity of the fall of the Berlin Wall....

they were elite at drafting so more important than a blank cheque

And the Red Wings' great drafting in the early to mid-2000s. It helps that you have one of the 5 best d-men of all time on the roster too.

they were elite at drafting so more important than a blank cheque
Zetterberg & Datsyuk spent close to 3-years slowly developing in the NHL playing exclusively on 3rd & 4th lines along w PP...that was simply because Wings were able to spend at will as a top-3 salaried team to stack top-3 lines. Those two would never had been slow rolled on a non top-5 spending team

As for drafting - it was under Devellano, that Hakan Andersson was hired as Euro scout, let alone drafting Fedorov, Larionov, et al and some guy named Lidstrom

Last edited:
There was no great Wings drafting post 1999...
Kronwall in 2000,

Hudler, Fleischmann, Filppula & Ericsson in 2002,

Howard & Quincey in 2003,

Franzen in 2004,

Abdelkater & Helm in 2005,

Smith in 2007,

Nyquist in 2008,

Tatar in 2009,

Sheahan & Jarnrok in 2010.

Since then, a lot of learn years. The only players of note that they've drafted are Mantha, Larkin & Bertuzzi.

That might not be the top-end type of drafting, but that's good enough to have consistent players in the lineup.

They had their chance to ink him with term years ago

The Jones contract fuked it up and Dubas your up next with Morgan ......good luck

He is overpaid by 1.5 mil but he is a top pair D and had no other choice

With 40M on 4 forwards, two of whom appear to be mush heads.

There was no great Wings drafting post 1999...

That's the thing with drafting....you just need 4-5 years of being red hot and then you're pretty much set up for a nice 12 year run. Still waiting for Timmins to string back to back 2007s.

That's the thing with drafting....you just need 4-5 years of being red hot and then you're pretty much set up for a nice 12 year run. Still waiting for Timmins to string back to back 2007s.

Bingo .....Ducks , Hawks etc follow that model

Pls they each followed that model once. The Hawks 12-yr run has come to an end and they’re not following it again...

Point is draft and develop properly , get your core in place

Ride it for a decade with smart trades and tinkering to fill the gaps and be cap prudent

Like CH1 said you only need a 4-5 year period of team building

Ride it for a decade with smart trades and tinkering to fill the gaps and be cap prudent

You also need players to take hometown discounts (Det, Pit, Chi, TBay) to maintain a competitive team for any period of time....which doesn’t happen for CDN markets.

It’s amusing how you make it sound so easy. Those that do all of those things well are the exceptions.

It’s amusing how you make it sound so easy. Those that do all of those things well are the exceptions.
In fact there hasn’t been one team in the cap era who has done “all of those things well” without “significant help” - that help always came in the form of advantageous geographic location.

i.e being a South of the border team - be it if that meant Hossa having an out from playing in the Canadian market or numerous top end players taking hometown discounts which would never happen & has never happened with a CDN team.

Last edited:

Nothing to be amused at , just facts .

Nero had a near decade to figure it out

He had a head start most GM’s never have

Most GM’s that take over are left with typically a mess to fix , such as walking into cap hell , a declining aging roster , or a dreaded middle patch job .

Nero had a 1D , 1G , a borderline top line LW and the third pick in the draft

Shit drafting , piss poor asset management and player development is the only reason we are not contenders by now

It’s not easy but making no dent in roster advancement in a decade is all on a bad regime , nothing else

And don’t bring up the Covid gift as progress , was never happening without it .

Per TSN Vancouver, Nucks looking to re-up Hughes & Pettersson @ $9.5M AAV on 8-year deal, exploring offloading Myers & JT Miller to create cap space

Miller would fit in nicely as Danault replacement, while allowing continued management of Suzuki & KKs development.

Best of all, Miller lost his NMC when TBay traded him to Van prior to his clause kicking in, thus can’t veto a trade to Mtl - 2-years left on a very manageable $5.3M deal.

I would also think Benning would prefer to trade him out of the Conf

Reactions: CH1
Back