• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

Per TSN Vancouver, Nucks looking to re-up Hughes & Pettersson @ $9.5M AAV on 8-year deal, exploring offloading Myers & JT Miller to create cap space

Miller would fit in nicely as Danault replacement, while allowing continued management of Suzuki & KKs development.

Best of all, Miller lost his NMC when TBay traded him to Van prior to his clause kicking in, thus can’t veto a trade to Mtl - 2-years left on a very manageable $5.3M deal.

I would also think Benning would prefer to trade him out of the Conf
Miller is solid but Nucks want youth and controllable salaries and picks

Nothing to be amused at , just facts .

Nero had a near decade to figure it out

He had a head start most GM’s never have

Most GM’s that take over are left with typically a mess to fix , such as walking into cap hell , a declining aging roster , or a dreaded middle patch job .

Nero had a 1D , 1G , a borderline top line LW and the third pick in the draft

Shit drafting , piss poor asset management and player development is the only reason we are not contenders by now

It’s not easy but making no dent in roster advancement in a decade is all on a bad regime , nothing else

And don’t bring up the Covid gift as progress , was never happening without it .
I’m sorry, were we not in the Cup finals last month? Please spare me your Covid BS, that you spew here all the time. We do play in a very tough division so we’re not a lock to make the playoffs but he made the right moves last offseason and I like the Hoffman add very much. We’ll see.

Miller is solid but Nucks want youth and controllable salaries and picks
How many teams can take on a full $5.3M cap hit right now & how many of those teams are not restricted by an internal cap?

Additionally, Captain Horvat is UFA in two seasons and Boeser will need a new deal next summer

Habs have picks to offer and Nucks HAVE to shed the complete $5.3M without $ coming back - very little leverage in a trade.

MB is well positioned, the question is whether Van will deal Miller or find an alternative path

Nothing to be amused at , just facts .

Nero had a near decade to figure it out

He had a head start most GM’s never have

Most GM’s that take over are left with typically a mess to fix , such as walking into cap hell , a declining aging roster , or a dreaded middle patch job .

Nero had a 1D , 1G , a borderline top line LW and the third pick in the draft

Shit drafting , piss poor asset management and player development is the only reason we are not contenders by now

It’s not easy but making no dent in roster advancement in a decade is all on a bad regime , nothing else

And don’t bring up the Covid gift as progress , was never happening without it .

I think you overestimate the situation MB inherited. Yeah we had Max, Subban and Price, but the rest of the roster wasn't great. We were capped out with bad contracts like Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque. We had a giant hole at center with DD as our #1 center, with for support Plekanec. Absolutely nothing in our pipeline from 2008-2011 besides Gallagher. A top 3 pick in one of the weakest draft of the last 2 decades.

We immediately started winning divisions and being quite competitive so we never really were able to get good picks and offload players for prospects. I still blame more drafting and player development than anything else but he definitely made some mistakes along the way, as you would expect for any GMs, especially rookie ones, but Timmins never helped him at all until Caufield.

I'm not a fan of Timmins but also think the mediocrity works both ways and Bergevin didn't help the drafting process when he went through his "size phase" and we ended up with the likes of McCarron.

I'm not a fan of Timmins but also think the mediocrity works both ways and Bergevin didn't help the drafting process when he went through his "size phase" and we ended up with the likes of McCarron.
Sure but he set out to make his team “heavier” last off-season and it paid off in the playoffs. The last pure skill team to win the Cup was the Penguins and that era appears to be over. McCarron just sucks as a player. But you need size to win the Cup.

Sure but he set out to make his team “heavier” last off-season and it paid off in the playoffs. The last pure skill team to win the Cup was the Penguins and that era appears to be over. McCarron just sucks as a player. But you need size to win the Cup.

never said you didn't need size but little Cole has already done more in a month than McCarron did his entire "career"

thank you Philly for not learning what Berge (hopefully) learned a while back

use your top pick for the highest upside (big or small)
get whatever size you need in trades/UFA

never said you didn't need size but little Cole has already done more in a month than McCarron did his entire "career"

thank you Philly for not learning what Berge (hopefully) learned a while back

use your top pick for the highest upside (big or small)
get whatever size you need in trades/UFA
Not sure it was size because Cam York is not a big D.

I think you overestimate the situation MB inherited. Yeah we had Max, Subban and Price, but the rest of the roster wasn't great. We were capped out with bad contracts like Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque. We had a giant hole at center with DD as our #1 center, with for support Plekanec. Absolutely nothing in our pipeline from 2008-2011 besides Gallagher. A top 3 pick in one of the weakest draft of the last 2 decades.

We immediately started winning divisions and being quite competitive so we never really were able to get good picks and offload players for prospects. I still blame more drafting and player development than anything else but he definitely made some mistakes along the way, as you would expect for any GMs, especially rookie ones, but Timmins never helped him at all until Caufield.

The point is they made terrible mistakes at drafting/ development

Just being average would of been acceptable

How many Suzuki type deals did we piss away not being proactive with Gally , Pleks , Price , Markov , etc..

We were never competitive to the point of being the Sharks , Ducks , Blues etc...where we are in the conversation of being a contender if not serious ones .

This was a decade patch job and now we have what maybe 3-4 players on this current roster you want to move forward with.

Players like Savard and JE should of been in our system ready to play.

We can’t even develop support players but need to poach the league for scraps or vets

How many teams can take on a full $5.3M cap hit right now & how many of those teams are not restricted by an internal cap?

Additionally, Captain Horvat is UFA in two seasons and Boeser will need a new deal next summer

Habs have picks to offer and Nucks HAVE to shed the complete $5.3M without $ coming back - very little leverage in a trade.

MB is well positioned, the question is whether Van will deal Miller or find an alternative path

As soon as the floodgates opened this summer , our well positioned Habs couldn’t attract anything and had to settle for the leftovers at the buffet table .

As soon as the floodgates opened this summer , our well positioned Habs couldn’t attract anything and had to settle for the leftovers at the buffet table .
That’s exactly what would make Miller (if available) so attractive, addresses an area of need AND has no say in being moved to Mtl, since he possesses no veto vote

I’m sorry, were we not in the Cup finals last month? Please spare me your Covid BS, that you spew here all the time. We do play in a very tough division so we’re not a lock to make the playoffs but he made the right moves last offseason and I like the Hoffman add very much. We’ll see.
The division we play in is tough partly because we're so damned mediocre and the reason for that, as Geeman pointed out, is because Bergevin is a mental midget who is lousy at his job.

But hey if one Covid-assisted fluke playoff run in a decade of mismanagement makes it all better then all I can say is that you're too easily pleased. Don't say "were we not in the Cup finals last month?" as though that means anything because you and I both know the Habs didn't belong there, did nothing real to make themselves contenders beyond that 8 week run of dumb luck and will immediately revert to the mean and go back to sucking next season.

For the love of all that's holy.

You two never learned to deal with frustration apparently. Changing the channel, this show sucks.

Timmins doesn't get a pass because of that. Even if his boss told him to get him bigger players, it doesn't excuse drafting a talentless slug in the first round right above a guy like Shea Theodore.

Timmins doesn't get a pass because of that. Even if his boss told him to get him bigger players, it doesn't excuse drafting a talentless slug in the first round right above a guy like Shea Theodore.

I think it does give him a slight pass — if your boss orders roast beef, you’re not doing your job if you serve him lobster

The point is they made terrible mistakes at drafting/ development

Just being average would of been acceptable

How many Suzuki type deals did we piss away not being proactive with Gally , Pleks , Price , Markov , etc..

We were never competitive to the point of being the Sharks , Ducks , Blues etc...where we are in the conversation of being a contender if not serious ones .

This was a decade patch job and now we have what maybe 3-4 players on this current roster you want to move forward with.

Players like Savard and JE should of been in our system ready to play.

We can’t even develop support players but need to poach the league for scraps or vets

It's all because of that. It also makes it harder to get proactive with the aging roster players when you have no replacements in your pipeline and you still try to be competitive. While I would have liked us to get some pieces in return of guys like Plekanec, Markov, and not commit long term to Price, we haven't lost that many players for nothing.

Gainey is the one who set us back for years by losing Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Komisarek, Souray, Hamrlik, S.Kostitsyn, Ribeiro, Beauchemin, Robidas, Higgins, McDonagh for absolutely nothing.

I think it does give him a slight pass — if your boss orders roast beef, you’re not doing your job if you serve him lobster
My point is that there was other players with size with more skills than MM. Unless the order from above was to get the biggest player available in the draft.

Back