• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

When does the overrated tag apply?

Been wildly overrated for a long time.

I've been harping this ever since the Laine rumors started a year & a half ago.

He's one of the best snipers in the league. God given talent. He's got great size. All things everyone would die to have.

And yet Winnipeg wants to get rid of him. And they did. Not only that, they had to add to the trade, implying PLD > Laine.

Laine screams that he's the I Don't Love Hockey Guy.

Been wildly overrated for a long time.

I've been harping this ever since the Laine rumors started a year & a half ago.

He's one of the best snipers in the league. God given talent. He's got great size. All things everyone would die to have.

And yet Winnipeg wants to get rid of him. And they did. Not only that, they had to add to the trade, implying PLD > Laine.

Laine screams that he's the I Don't Love Hockey Guy.

Which is not as uncommon as fans think it is...we're led to believe that all these guys (in the NHL, NBA, NFL, etc) are '"living the dream" but I think that in the next few years more and more athletes are going to come out and say a version of "I stopped liking the game years ago but what else could pay me anything near what I got paid"

Some guys clearly like going to the rink more than others.

Last edited:
Sure, I bet there's plenty of people across all sports that don't love it and it's just a way to make money. The difference is, most aren't going to let it affect their play. Take for example Christian Dvorak in Phoenix. I don't think I've seen a player in recent memory that seems to give less than a shit than him, every time you watch him it's like he's getting ready to go to a funeral.

MLB retired closer Keith Foulke was very outspoken about not liking baseball. Baseball paid the bills (and a whole lot more) for him.

Sure, I bet there's plenty of people across all sports that don't love it and it's just a way to make money. The difference is, most aren't going to let it affect their play. Take for example Christian Dvorak in Phoenix. I don't think I've seen a player in recent memory that seems to give less than a shit than him, every time you watch him it's like he's getting ready to go to a funeral.

The thing is most of these players only need a career to 30 , with the money they make

You carve out 30+ mil go do something else .

Which is not as uncommon as fans think it is...we're led to believe that all these guys (in the NHL, NBA, NFL, etc) are '"living the dream" but I think that in the next few years more and more athletes are going to come out and say a version of "I stopped liking the game years ago but what else could pay me anything near what I got paid"

Some guys clearly like going to the rink more than others.
Robert Smith of Vikings who at 28 called it quits in 2000, said just that. Went on the write books, ride his motorbike and play Mr. Mom

Reactions: CH1
Football players have always been ahead of the curve (IMO) when it comes to honestly assessing their place in their sport (which is often cruel)

Ironically, I always thought Robert Smith was a very sharp dude (he studied pre-med in college, retired early with a bunch of $$$) but he recently became an in-game analyst and he's FUCKING TERRIBLE AT IT. He sounds like a moron...which I found very disappointing.

Granted, offering insights in real time is much harder than it seems...but he's woefully unprepared, and there's no excuse for that.

Football players have always been ahead of the curve (IMO) when it comes to honestly assessing their place in their sport (which is often cruel)

Ironically, I always thought Robert Smith was a very sharp dude (he studied pre-med in college, retired early with a bunch of $$$) but he recently became an in-game analyst and he's FUCKING TERRIBLE AT IT. He sounds like a moron...which I found very disappointing.

Granted, offering insights in real time is much harder than it seems...but he's woefully unprepared, and there's no excuse for that.
Because it is the easiest game to do so, given high probability of suffering a concussion / career ending injury that is chronic lifelong impacting quality of life / expectancy - not to mention non-guaranteed contracts

I can’t ever recall hearing about a baseball player doing so...lower level of chronic injury probability

I also think that a combo of attending college and memorizing a 350 page playbook....and practising way more than actually playing gives football players a little more perspective

For sure... it's what makes guys like Tony Romo or Mike Johnson such outliers.

Yeah, I don't expect everyone to hit that level, but it bugs me when it's obvious they have not done at least 30 mins of research before the game

Last edited:
Back