• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Not gonna be that low on AAV
I think he gets 5m per on a 3 year deal (15m). If they go 5 years it may not be 3m but don't think it'll be that much more. Maybe an extra million or so throughout the whole contract so 3.2. But I agree with 101, just do 7 years at that point to get the AAV down lower.

Its hard to front load retirement contracts. The lowest salary year can't be less than 50% of the highest salary year, and the maximum yearly decrease is 25% of the year 1 salary.

So a 5 year deal is likely:

$6, $6, $4.5, $3, $3

so 5 * $4.5 vs 4 * $5 or whatever

And Joshua might be good. Both Dom and EW models have him as good as Bertuzzi this year, though he is definitely more of a 15-20 goal scorer than a 30 goal scorer.

It's a tough one for me after seeing Muzzin and Brodie implode far younger than a player who has had worse injury issues throughout his career. If a 5+ year deal is still 4+m per year, I look elsewhere I think and try to find a guy that you know you'll get at least 4 solid years out of. With Tanev you may get 0 for all we know. Too many better younger options available to pass on them for a 35 year old.

With that said he's realgud so it is conflicting!

Really would prefer not to get Tanev.

Montour and Skjei are the best. Throw money at them, and if you can’t get one, then Roy. And get Debrusk and cheap Skinner.

I’d hate using a 1st on a defender when there are so many available for just cap space.

Get the goalie!
I have some hesitations signing a bunch of 30+ defenders to 4 or 5 year deals.

1 prime aged d and a vet would be my preferred way to go.

For a goalie unless sorokin or sheshterkin are available I don't want to move the 1st for them.

Back