• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

For example, when we signed a similar sized contract to Morgan Rielly we loaded 36 of the 60 million in the first 4 seasons. So the back end of the deal is 4 yrs x 6 million. If we did decide to move him over those final 4 years for whatever reason, unless he falls off a cliff at 31, 6 million for a 20mpg top 4 puckmover who is good running PP1 isn't a hard contract to move in a 100 million dollar cap environment when comparable UFA's will be going for 7-8 million or more.

Calgary just gave Naz a flat 7x7.

We're in a way different cap position than we were a year ago though with different needs, and Pizza Boy had been in the job for 5 minutes before free agency started.

A year ago we had no idea that 5 million dollar Brodie was about to fall off of a cliff and Jarnkrok was our 5th best forward.

I don't want to defend the dude, I had him on my "worst case scenario" list after the Dubas firing and he's done nothing to make me change my mind on that so far, but I don't think his problem is going to be passing on the top guys. The hope is that he's able to get the ones he wants without overpay because he's not in Calgary anymore. Identifying Kadri as a top centre to sign wasn't his problem. Throwing 7x7 with minimal contract jiggery fuckery to make it easier to deal with on the back end was the problem there. But is that a Calgary organizational budgetary issue, or Pizza Boy being a dummy issue?
your optimism is adorable

For the first time in a long time there's some real potential to get tremendous value out of some of their young forward depth. I'm typically not a fan of "just fuck it, overpay for your needs" but as 101 points out they're in a different spot. And realistically they are not that far away from being a real cup threat. It took 1 trade for Edmonton to turn that ship around.

If your d are gonna be overpaid, who cares as long as they're elite? They have elite top end talent up front with JTs contract off the books soon and several young players ready to make a real impact for almost no money. Grab a nice tandem in goal that can give you reasonable odds for average goaltending which is all that's needed.

And now's the time to pay big bucks for some d because they don't really have kids in the pipeline that can help anytime soon. It's sort of a gift of a free agent class. Especially after last year's debacle. Tre chose the worst d of the bunch but the best d available was shit too.

Of course if they land a big fish Skjej type and sign a tanev for 45 years at 1m per year or some shit, that works too. Or Carrier could be value too. So they don't even necessarily have to go wild on the contracts. They probably should go wild for one of them though. Just land one of the top guys and you can maybe seek some value on the other.

the Leafs aren't in a position to worry about a contract 5+ years from now.

the window is the next 4 years of Matthews prime, they are obligated to go for it every season

2 vet guys like Roy and Skjei will do nicely, even if their deals are a year or two too long. the cap should be significantly higher by the time they expire, as well.

Yeah, this free agency class is basically tailored for our needs with several good D and a young horse like Debrusk to add as he enters his prime.

your optimism is adorable

I've been as critical of him as anyone(or more...tbh, with entire Nepo baby essays on record here previously) but even I don't think he's going to fuck absolutely everything that he does up. His track record doesn't really show that either. It shows a super mediocre hockey executive who fucks some stuff up and does some other stuff pretty okay. I expect more of the same here in Toronto, but from a different starting point and with different organizational restrictions in place.

In this limited case, with our needs being what they are obviously, with the names we're seeing our way too in the know media throwing around, and the cap space we have to sort those needs out....I see it fitting together relatively well and without disaster. Call me all the names you want if we sign Zadorov for 7x7 and Eddy for 4x4 and those are our adds. I'll buy you a pitchfork and a torch, and we'll burn some shit down together. Until then though, I'm relatively zen about this being free agency on easy mode for him and fairly hard to fuck up.

Of course if they land a big fish Skjej type and sign a tanev for 45 years at 1m per year or some shit, that works too. Or Carrier could be value too. So they don't even necessarily have to go wild on the contracts. They probably should go wild for one of them though. Just land one of the top guys and you can maybe seek some value on the other.
Montour is the guy to get. Just turned 30. Provides that nice shot and will guarantee you double digit goals from back there, and has been one of the main guys in two straight cup runs and coming off a win. Also, since he had a down year off the prior stud year, he can't ask for stud year money, but he's certainly capable of delivering stud year performance going forward.

Everything here but Debrusk.

Debrusk would be a disaster UFA contract.
If he could be had for some $5m x 5 deal, you'd pass on that?? Or $6M x 4?

I don't want to pay him $8M or anything, but if he comes at a reasonable price, he's exactly the kind of guy we've been lacking up front.

The other thing about bad contracts this offseason is the cap is going to be $100 mill in 2 years. A $7 mill dman is only 7% of the cap, which is the Brodie deal. It’s a good time to overpay good players.

The other thing about bad contracts this offseason is the cap is going to be $100 mill in 2 years. A $7 mill dman is only 7% of the cap. It’s a good time to overpay good players.
Leafs are gonna sign 3 d to 9m dollar 7 year deals just in time for the next pandemic next year. That's how it works right?

The other thing about bad contracts this offseason is the cap is going to be $100 mill in 2 years. A $7 mill dman is only 7% of the cap. It’s a good time to overpay good players.
Including Marner if need be.

They better not be stupid enough to dump him. I'd think Matty has to be making noise about keeping him there too.

Montour is the guy to get. Just turned 30. Provides that nice shot and will guarantee you double digit goals from back there, and has been one of the main guys in two straight cup runs and coming off a win. Also, since he had a down year off the prior stud year, he can't ask for stud year money, but he's certainly capable of delivering stud year performance going forward.
Former shit to mediocre players that suddenly turn elite on Florida frighten me. I have no real reason to feel this way but i feel less confident that he's a stud compared to some of the other guys.

But for sure I'd gladly take him.

Former shit to mediocre players that suddenly turn elite on Florida frighten me. I have no real reason to feel this way but i feel less confident that he's a stud compared to some of the other guys.

Eye test was enamored with him last season. He was so fucking good. I noticed him less this year, but I can't forget that performance.

If he could be had for some $5m x 5 deal, you'd pass on that?? Or $6M x 4?

You do this every.fucking.year. when talking about players you want.

AFP has him projected at 5.8-6.1 million and you can bet that will be somewhere between 5-7 years.

That's a lot of money to throw a guy that both Robertson and Knies outproduced on a /60 basis this year.

Debrusk is fine. But he's not a physical force or any of that shit. He's got good speed, which is nice. But if you really need 20 goals a year off of the rush, go get Anthony Duclair for 4 million x 2 instead.

No, I like Debrusk, and think he'll be an easy 30 goal scorer on this team. Basically a Mikky with hands and grit.

And anyway, I'd do $6M. My numbers were right within that range. If it needs more term to get it done, I'm open to it.

Love debrusk but yeah not sure it's the best idea from a cap management perspective to pay big bucks for middle six guys when they've got plenty of kids who can fill that role in the next few years for a fraction of the price.

But they could do far worse. He's a good player.

Honestly would prefer Skjei just because of his experience in handling the toughs. That's what we're missing is guys who can not get beat around against opposition top comp. We need the one guy who can anchor that top matchup pair who tends to allow everyone else to play in roles that they're more comfortable and perform better in. Skjei-McCabe or Skjei-Roy would be solid top pairing and lets everyone else do their thing against the competition they excel against.

I just want to point out that the players won't necissarily be overpaid, but they are all 30ish and the deals will all be long.

This is Dom's values for the top dmen:
Roy $9.7
Skjei $9.2
Walker $7.7
Montour $7.6
Tanev $7.5
Carrier $6

Most of these guys will earn their money early in the deals, and there may even be some value there (Roy, Skjei, Walker, Tanev in particular).

Back