• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Honestly would prefer Skjei just because of his experience in handling the toughs. That's what we're missing is guys who can not get beat around against opposition top comp. We need the one guy who can anchor that top matchup pair who tends to allow everyone else to play in roles that they're more comfortable and perform better in. Skjei-McCabe or Skjei-Roy would be solid top pairing and lets everyone else do their thing against the competition they excel against.
Yeah I love Montour's skill set and I'm a big fan of "just get good players" but I also want them to finally get a solid as fuck two way guy for the first time since Muzzin. Too many unitaskers on this d corps lately. Klingberg, Rielly, Eddy, Schenn, Boosh, Tanev being talked about. I guess that's why I was so high on Liljegren.. he could have been that guy and still could be I guess. But I agree, Skjei is probably my top choice.

No, I like Debrusk, and think he'll be an easy 30 goal scorer on this team.

He literally played with parts of the perfection line for his entire career and kept losing his job for not keeping up. There's nothing about coming here that is going to unlock something that playing with Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta didn't unlock.

He's almost 28 yrs old, he is what he is. He's a decent 2 way middle 6 winger who can be dangerous off the rush and has a bit of jam. He wasn't a stud in junior or the AHL. He's already maximized the talent he has by just being a 20-25 goal middle 6 guy.

If we desperately needed decent middle 6 wingers, sure whatever. But we don't. He's a somewhat better Calle Jarnkrok who throws a hit once in a while. Hard pass on going 6x6 on that. Like I said, just go get Anthony Duclair for 4x2 if you really want rush goals and occasional anger.

I just wish some how we can pull a top 9c out of our asses this off-season. If it could be a top 6c even better. Trade our 1st if we have to (hopefully, someone that works with our timeline).

Love debrusk but yeah not sure it's the best idea from a cap management perspective to pay big bucks for middle six guys when they've got plenty of kids who can fill that role in the next few years for a fraction of the price.

But they could do far worse. He's a good player.
It's cute to say Robertson, but Robertson was a ghost in the first round. Big part of that may be youth and inexperience, and another big part was for sure Keefe's handling, but he didn't exactly inspire confidence that we don't need a guy like Debrusk.

I thought Montour was pretty awesome in the final. And not only is he the best UFA at moving the puck he's also so good at winning puck battles in front of the net where our top D are just horrible.

Only qualm is that we need the matchup guy. Lots of ways to improve puck moving through out the group, some is based on personel, some on system. There's no way to improve Rielly's ability to play against top competition though.

Fwiw though, fuck it and get both. You would get no complaints out of me

Rielly-Montour
Skjei-McCabe
Benoit-Lilly

Love debrusk but yeah not sure it's the best idea from a cap management perspective to pay big bucks for middle six guys when they've got plenty of kids who can fill that role in the next few years for a fraction of the price.

But they could do far worse. He's a good player.
no thanks on DeBrusk

He literally played with parts of the perfection line for his entire career and kept losing his job for not keeping up. There's nothing about coming here that is going to unlock something that playing with Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta didn't unlock.

He's almost 28 yrs old, he is what he is. He's a decent 2 way middle 6 winger who can be dangerous off the rush and has a bit of jam. He wasn't a stud in junior or the AHL. He's already maximized the talent he has by just being a 20-25 goal middle 6 guy.

If we desperately needed decent middle 6 wingers, sure whatever. But we don't. He's a somewhat better Calle Jarnkrok who throws a hit once in a while. Hard pass on going 6x6 on that. Like I said, just go get Anthony Duclair for 4x2 if you really want rush goals and occasional anger.
It unlocked 27 goals in 64 games last season, and before that 25 goals. It's not like he hasn't delivered.

Like Montour, he had a down year, which may depress his value since guys like you now think he's whatever. That's the time to snatch him up.

also streaky af

It's cute to say Robertson, but Robertson was a ghost in the first round. Big part of that may be youth and inexperience, and another big part was for sure Keefe's handling, but he didn't exactly inspire confidence that we don't need a guy like Debrusk.
He's just one guy. That's the beauty of having several young pieces that are coming up to ages where they can be expected to produce..not all of them have to hit. And if none do then they're fucked anyway. Getting Debrusk level production for a 4-5m dollar discount is what makes championship level rosters. Seems like they're gonna have to pay for some d, they're paying for elite talent at the top of their lineup. Outside of goaltending, they're gonna also need some value on their depth forwards.

And they'll need a 2c once Tavares goes too. I'd prefer to pay big bucks for a center if one becomes available.

Only qualm is that we need the matchup guy. Lots of ways to improve puck moving through out the group, some is based on personel, some on system. There's no way to improve Rielly's ability to play against top competition though.

Fwiw though, fuck it and get both. You would get no complaints out of me

Rielly-Montour
Skjei-McCabe
Benoit-Lilly
That would be amazing.

The only thing that would've made it better is if Brodie had maintained his form and we brought him back on a Gio type contract to play on that third pair.

It unlocked 27 goals in 64 games last season, and before that 25 goals. It's not like he hasn't delivered.

Yeah, I don't want to pay a guy 6 million to score 25 goals. But you and I don't see eye to eye on what certain levels of performance are worth, at all so whatever.

Like Montour, he had a down year, which may depress his value since guys like you now think he's whatever. That's the time to snatch him up.

AFP takes his "down year" into account.

He's averaged 24 goals per 82 games over his career. This is what he is. Maybe the easiest thing in the league to fall backwards into for cheap is a winger who can score 20 when given an offensive role.

He's just one guy. That's the beauty of having several young pieces that are coming up to ages where they can be expected to produce..not all of them have to hit. And if none do then they're fucked anyway. Getting Debrusk level production for a 4-5m dollar discount is what makes championship level rosters. Seems like they're gonna have to pay for some d, they're paying for elite talent at the top of their lineup. Outside of goaltending, they're gonna also need some value on their depth forwards.

And they'll need a 2c once Tavares goes too. I'd prefer to pay big bucks for a center if one becomes available.
I want those guys to play and succeed too. They're the reason we can bring in a more expensive guy. If all the young guys emerge, you can always trade Debrusk later and get something nice for a guy you acquired for just money. The more the merrier should be the policy, whatever you can squeeze in.

And a $6M contract to him in a rising cap environment won't prevent us from replacing Tavares when his own $11M would be going with him.

Back