• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

The Athletic article stating "Roy might receive close to $6m on a long-term deal" sounds like... A no brainer to me? And a potential steal if Dom's model is even close to right. That might be my top choice on d just because of the potential value involved. Relieved to hear that the leafs are interested. Come on Tre give me faith in your dumb nepo baby ass.

Makes you wonder if this had some legs of it is indeed true management was pissed.

Rumors are flying on social media all the time but rarely does a group acknowledge them let alone let it be known they are not happy about it

View: https://x.com/TLNdc/status/1806054853086683195?t=ID19MVLxx_dW3sW11c5GMQ&s=19

Leafs are definitely talking to all teams. The article in the athletic made it seem like nothing is really close but who knows. I don't mind it. Now's the time to do your due diligence and see what you can get. If nothing happens by July 1 pivot to extension talks.

Yeah, that all makes sense. Though I'd be surprised if that money they mention for Debrusk isn't there with term this summer. There are teams with the cap space and something resembling the need who are trying to get into or stay in the playoff mix. Kings, Wings, Utah, Seattle, Columbus and a few others who would use the reverse logic to what we just used in that snippet. 6 million in a few years at a 100 million dollar cap isn't a big deal to fill a need they have now with a pretty good player.

For us I think the names to keep an eye on for our top 9 are Domi, Duclair, Duchene, Toffoli, Perron, Mantha. Basically a combo of guys who either have links to the org/city or guys who struggle to find a market and want a 1-2 yr show me deal under the bright lights (Duclair and Mantha)

I guess the Marner camp figures his best chance to max his next contract is to have him feeding Matthews assists all season. But Marner is a snowflake, and the pressure of playing in a contract year in Toronto is going to crush him IMO.

Problem for Toronto is they can't really "punish" Marner in a way that doesn't hurt the team also.

His 27 goal year is an outlier and that's because his shooting percentage that year was an outlier. He had some luck on his side.

But I agree he's a damn good player and a good signing for most teams. Not the leafs though imo.
How much of an outlier was it when his shooting percentage was just a tick above the prior year?

In one of his seven seasons, he had a 5.4%, which is the actual outlier. Aside from that, he's never been in single digits, his lowest being 10.4%.

Maybe this is just a pretty damn good shooter we're talking about?

24 goals per 82 games over his career with a bucketload of opportunity to play wherever his level warranted on one of the best teams in the league.

That's all that matters. Not this 35 goal fantasy bullshit.

Since we're in the "all rumors are true era" CJ essentially confirmed what mirtle said:

“The fact that the leafs need two defenseman I’m sure in a perfect world for them it’s Tanev and Roy but the world might not be perfect”

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Tanev (shutty pair)

Part of me feels like it would be a missed opportunity to not get two longer term solutions on d in a year where they absolutely can do that at likely a reasonable cost. But at least tanev should come cheap I guess, albeit long-term. It's year by year with him though. Can't really count on him beyond next year or even next month. He's always gonna be a month away from falling off a cliff and that worries me. But we can't deny how good he was for Dallas. A super elite "stopper" and probably the best stopper in the market.

They may even have space for Debrusk if they go this route tbh. LOF would jizz

Last edited:
If you're willing to move a 1st and it's not for a highend prospect that doesn't want to play in Siberia then use it to get a mid 20s Dman.

I don't think I want to get 2 30+ year olds on long term deals.

Back