• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

you just seem to generally object to market rates for UFAs. I cannot help you with that
No, there are multiple names I’d throw money at. Montour and Skjei are 30. We should not be chasing after old guys about to break and competing to give them big long deals. Pinnacle of stupidity to fill up our cap like that.

Tanev scores high in the shared risk category
This is it yeah. They're seeking value. Most of us believe they should prioritize two long-term more sure thing solutions on d but it appears with at least one of d they will acquire, he's chasing a sweet spot of shared risk.

Reactions: CH1
This is it yeah. They're seeking value. Most of us believe they should prioritize two long-term more sure thing solutions on d but it appears with at least one of d they will acquire, he's chasing a sweet spot of shared risk.
Except that we’re taking 95% of the risk in that deal. If the sweet spot is our collective asshole, that would definitely fill it up.

Except that we’re taking 95% of the risk in that deal. If the sweet spot is our collective asshole, that would definitely fill it up.
He was one of the best d in the entire playoffs tbh and would be the best defensive d the Leafs have had maybe throughout this entire core's existence. If you sign him for 5 years at a ~3.5 aav and he provides that same level of play next year, you're getting huge excess value for at least year 1.

But that's assuming he doesn't fall off. He'll be 35 this year so it's a tough ask for him to provide that level of play for much longer.

He was one of the best d in the entire playoffs tbh and would be the best defensive d the Leafs have had maybe throughout this entire core's existence. If you sign him for 5 years at a ~3.5 aav and he provides that same level of play next year, you're getting huge excess value for at least year 1.

But that's assuming he doesn't fall off. He'll be 35 this year so it's a tough ask for him to provide that level of play for much longer.
Brodie went from amazing to craptastic almost overnight. This isn’t one hour before the trade deadline with everyone off the board. We have half a dozen great options that cost nothing but money. Are we really going to give Tanev $5m when we could give $7m to Montour or Skjei?

Guy is gonna be 35 in a few months. Why would we ever give him a 5 year deal? I don’t think I even want him at all. Brodie just fell off a cliff and died at 34 without notice, so now we’re gonna replace him with a guy older than him?
Term and LTIR is the highest currency you got now. give him a front loaded deal to get the AAV down and then the last two three years you LTIR.

No, there are multiple names I’d throw money at. Montour and Skjei are 30. We should not be chasing after old guys about to break and competing to give them big long deals. Pinnacle of stupidity to fill up our cap like that.
this does not refute my previous point.

I don't even think it's that. I think Tre just loves Tanev.

35 with lots of miles and injuries that can recur

Brodie went from amazing to craptastic almost overnight. This isn’t one hour before the trade deadline with everyone off the board. We have half a dozen great options that cost nothing but money. Are we really going to give Tanev $5m when we could give $7m to Montour or Skjei?
fwiw I agree that we should be targeting a Skjei or Roy type instead of Tanev.

Back