• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

I like Roy, especially his nerdies, and prefer him to tanev mostly on age, but I'm not gonna claim I know him that well.

I don't even think it's that. I think Tre just loves Tanev.
Oh he loves Tanev. But the fact they're willing to go 5+ years means they can get him under the market rate. And that is gonna be appealing for any gm. I don't know where lof is getting 5x5 from. I don't think he gets 5m on a 5 year deal.

Is that space for Guentzel
I truly believe Guentzel stays in Carolina.

I have also heard Chicago might back up the trucks for him, but i question the timing and player in this case for CHI to blow their load. IMO they should wait a year, but i suppose you could do worse 10M overpays than Guentzel

Oh he loves Tanev. But the fact they're willing to go 5+ years means they can get him under the market rate. And that is gonna be appealing for any gm. I don't know where lof is getting 5x5 from. I don't think he gets 5m on a 5 year deal.
Dont underestimate GM's being stupid, and playoff warrior performances boosting the fuck out of a value cause recency bias.

I can absolutely see some batshit numbers come out on Tanev, from a place like Ottawa perhaps.

Dont underestimate GM's being stupid, and playoff warrior performances boosting the fuck out of a value cause recency bias.

I can absolutely see some batshit numbers come out on Tanev, from a place like Ottawa perhaps.
Sure but I don't think the Leafs do 5x5 when Roy, by all accounts, gets roughly the same contract despite being 6 years younger.

The appeal to go with Tanev over Roy is not just that they think Tanev is better, it's because they can deploy some cap shenanigans to get some value out of the first year or two of the deal.

Guy is gonna be 35 in a few months. Why would we ever give him a 5 year deal? I don’t think I even want him at all. Brodie just fell off a cliff and died at 34 without notice, so now we’re gonna replace him with a guy older than him?

Because it's not really a 5 year deal. He's not 35 yet, so if he retires before the end of the deal it goes away. So you front load the deal as much as the CBA allows and make it bonus heavy. Leafman did the math the other day but basically on something that is like a 5x5 you can have like ~18-20 million paid out by the July 1 previous to the start of the 4th year. He gets his money, retires later in July and it's off our books.

Back