• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Apparently Friedman claimed on the radio that Domi’s ask from the Leafs is “in the neighbourhood” of $4M x 4 years.
Someone post that meme of how he took a show me deal in TO, did worse than the prior year, and now is somehow due for a raise and term! Jesus fucking Christ.

What if he’s Dead Brodie Part 2 in the first year of his deal?

We ride it out for 1 year and then he has a "career ending" injury appear on his next medical eval

Let's be clear about Brodie though. Dude didn't go from really good to terrible because of physical decline. Dude has some pretty significant personal life challenges and not everyone copes well with that shit. His wife is almost 10 years into having MS (I know nothing about her condition personally and won't speculate, but average survivability is 20-25 years and it's progressive decline). He's got 2 small children they're raising within the scope of his wife's condition and his pops passed away. Sometimes hockey just doesn't fucking matter to you as much anymore when you're a multi millionaire in your 30's and your family needs you.

The last we saw of Tanev, he was being a shut down beast in the 3rd round of the playoffs. No reason to expect him to fall apart immediately.

If we can do some contract fuckery and get him long term at like 3.5-3.75 million, that's well worth it imo.

We ride it out for 1 year and then he has a "career ending" injury appear on his next medical eval

Let's be clear about Brodie though. Dude didn't go from really good to terrible because of physical decline. Dude has some pretty significant personal life challenges and not everyone copes well with that shit. His wife is almost 10 years into having MS (I know nothing about her condition personally and won't speculate, but average survivability is 20-25 years and it's progressive decline). He's got 2 small children they're raising within the scope of his wife's condition and his pops passed away. Sometimes hockey just doesn't fucking matter to you as much anymore when you're a multi millionaire in your 30's and your family needs you.

The last we saw of Tanev, he was being a shut down beast in the 3rd round of the playoffs. No reason to expect him to fall apart immediately.

If we can do some contract fuckery and get him long term at like 3.5-3.75 million, that's well worth it imo.
Fair, but a 35 year old one dimensional dman falling off a cliff next season should surprise no one.

Dewar can go too. I never really saw anything from him to convince me that he’s anything more that a replacement-level veteran plug at best, with no stand-out features to his game.

in his brief time here on the 4th line..... +1.4xgfrel, 1.40p/60.....very good on PK, speedy, 25yrs old, can fill in at C, will make <$1m.

could do worse.

Yup if they're keeping everyone, getting Tanev at 5-7 years at something that starts in the 3s is the best bet and gives them lots of flexibility to add a Roy or Montour type as well. Could even add some decent cheap offensive depth potentially.

So I do get the Tanev thing. Just wish Tavares' contract didn't fuck them into forcing them to do it instead of grabbing two of Montour, Roy, Skjei, etc.

But with that said it cannot be understated how good Tanev currently is.

Fair, but a 35 year old one dimensional dman falling off a cliff next season should surprise no one.

Sure, but again the risk is well worth it if we're using bullshit contract length to get the AAV into the 3's. 3-3.5 million doesn't get you a whole lot of defender on the open market. For example, AFP project the Chaos Giraffe to go for 3.2 x 2.

If all we get is 2 years of good Tanev, that's a much better spend of that AAV than anyone else we're going to get for anything less than 5.5-6

And if they go the Tanev route you better keep Liljegren. He's your insurance policy on the third pair of Tanev goes to shit or if you need some extra minutes when Tanev inevitably misses games.

If we get Tanev, we can go 1 yr arby on Lilly (projection is 3.1) and deal with it next year after we have another year of eval in.

Rielly-Montour
McCabe-Tanev
Benoit-Lilly

Would work, even without firing Tavares out of a cannon. That's 4 of 6 defenders who can move the puck at an average or better (a couple much, much better) clip and if Tanev gets hurt, you don't have to squint too much to believe that Montour or Lilly with another year of development can handle heavy's without it being a disaster while Tanev is out. Honestly just need him healthy for the playoffs.

lol:

View: https://x.com/dalter/status/1806326870016663684?s=46&t=slvKDnX1n9ri7D4jpSVVzA

While I’d love to mock this reporter for writing an article whose premise is that the Leafs might not even bother qualifying Lilly, who knows? It’s certainly possible Bundy is that dumb.

at this point seems like we just need to trade him and cut the cord. which is a damn shame cause he's likely to be a top-4 stud for someone else. doesn't seem like it will ever happen here though.

Lots of Brodie slander I see. Didn’t his dad die last offseason? Not to absolve him of having a shit season(because he did) but that’s a pretty tough thing for anyone to get through. He looked like a guy that got into the booze pretty heavy. Wouldn’t be the least surprised to see him have a way better year next year. Not here but I see him being a good value signing for some team.

Prob way better than Tanev value wise.
Brodie may very well bounce back, but we cannot really afford to risk him playing like he did last year again, especially if we count on him to be in our top-4.

just too much risk for our current roster.

shocked-surprised.gif
LOF has been on the dump the krok train for a while!

Back