• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Fasting

my metabolism is pretty high but my am appetite is slayed by black coffee (at least till 11)
I have, for better or worse, essentially trained my body to demand humongous breakfasts. so I get pretty hangry when I don't get them.

although in fairness I follow some of that trendy guy's health tips inadvertently. I wake up, hop in the shower, then usually immediately take the doggos for a walk. so I start my day with some exercise and outdoor time. gotta say, it's pretty wonderful. except on weekends of course when you wanna lounge and the doggos expect you to exercise them as soon as you wake up...

Almost forgot....planking!

It's a fucking life hack...one minute a night (and no I could not plank for a minute when I started), and do it every night and the results are incredible.
Within 3 months I tightened up my gut, it helps the back...and I'm 55 with a 6-pack...and yes, I still take my shirt off, and yes, women have noticed.

Been doing it a year now.

It's a fucking life hack...one minute a night (and no I could not plank for a minute when I started), and do it every night and the results are incredible.
Within 3 months I tightened up my gut, it helps the back...and I'm 55 with a 6-pack...and yes, I still take my shirt off, and yes, women have noticed.

women noticing >>>> bloodwork

I combined Keto + IF a few years ago. Lost a lot of weight but found it hard to stick to. But yeah, IF is really just calorie restriction, the extra benefits people talk about are generally unproven.

What are these "women" you speak of? 🧐

My ability to stick with IF is a reflection of my mental health. If I'm anxious, stressed or unwell it's 1000x harder.

I was a big proponent of intermittent fasting a few years ago (16/8), it takes a week or two to get used to but can definitely be a useful tool for caloric restriction. However, a lot of people have made a lot of claims about the benefits, including autophagy and a bunch of other stuff.

Most scientifically-minded people were interested in IF, so a bunch of studies have been run over the past few years and I believe the evidence is very clear now - there is no benefit from IF other than the benefits you get from weight loss. In other words, any form of caloric restriction does the same job, so if people hate IF it's no big deal, try something else, whereas if it works for you then by all means stick with it.

It's not a magic formula, and 99.9% of the benefits people receive from it are because of the weight loss, not the fasting.

Last edited:
I'm basically always trying to keep a 1 meal per day / 24hr fast. I definitely lose weight quickly when i can stick to it. Snacking is death.

Also occasionally do longer fasts - 60hrs the past couple times and tbh once you go that long you could easily go longer but it's had to justify it.

With perfect timing, Layne Norton just posted a video yesterday addressing some of the claims about IF and autophagy, and what the studies show. Definitely watch this video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIBmAvLPBfM

And if you're interested, here's a great longer video (a podcast episode) talking about what we do know and what we don't based on the evidence, and how podcasters and influencers often misinterpret or misrepresent data. Highly recommended!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q7qRw9j_lQ

The best longevity advice is to not be fat. That's the secret sauce and that's at the core of the villainization of processed foods.. they're addicting (mostly umami bombed products), often calorically dense and make it very easy people to over-consume. So they get fat which sheds years off their life.

So if something helps one restrict calories sustainably then it's totally worth doing. I find that eating whatever the fuck I want whenever I want helps me the most because anything extreme is just not sustainable for me personally, as Aberdeen points out. A little willpower in not over consuming or sometimes deciding to shut 'er and stop eating after dinner (which I guess is a quasi fast) goes a long way .

Some people do find that fasting for 16 hours is kind of liberating in that for a period of time either before or after sleep they don't have to think about eating (other than fighting off the occasional hunger pangs), which sometimes can lead to mental clarity or increased productivity.

One potential downside to fasting that is showing up recently in studies but probably more related to rapid weight loss associated with Ozempic is that while people are losing a lot of fat, they are also losing more muscle mass than they would in a slower-moving diet.

Eating protein 3-4 times a day seems to be optimal in adding or maintaining lean muscle mass. So not eating for 16-20 hours every day does lend itself to losing a little extra muscle mass over time.

Back