• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #6 JAN 22 - FOOK NO MATTHEWS

I get that he is still a pretty elite player, all things considered. Maybe his contract negotiations just left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I do still maintain he is overpaid, closer to $2m annually than $1m. And sure, if you're going to overpay, do it on star players.

Maybe this is my emotional fan side coming out. But I don't think I'd be too upset if we were actively looking to trade Mucho (obviously that may change based on the return).

It's funny, I was pretty anti-the JT contract but I'm not even sure that mucho's deal is better value...
As a fan you can have or like any player you want. That's the beauty of it. There is no consequences for your decisions outside of maybe zeke yelling at you over them.

I get that he is still a pretty elite player, all things considered. Maybe his contract negotiations just left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I do still maintain he is overpaid, closer to $2m annually than $1m. And sure, if you're going to overpay, do it on star players.

Maybe this is my emotional fan side coming out. But I don't think I'd be too upset if we were actively looking to trade Mucho (obviously that may change based on the return).

It's funny, I was pretty anti-the JT contract but I'm not even sure that mucho's deal is better value...
This rage that fans have over his contract is pretty funny to me. Up or down a bit, he's earned the money as one of the best point producers in the league at 23. You aren't paying his salary and you get to see him put up 90+ points without breaking a sweat. And he's a Toronto boy who always wanted to be a Leaf. If there's anything to not like in that, you probably forgot what the 10 years prior to him showing up looked like.

If it weren't for emotions, we would do something better with our time than watch grown men on skates trying to push a piece of rubber past a guy wearing a mask.

This rage that fans have over his contract is pretty funny to me. Up or down a bit, he's earned the money as one of the best point producers in the league at 23. You aren't paying his salary and you get to see him put up 90+ points without breaking a sweat. And he's a Toronto boy who always wanted to be a Leaf. If there's anything to not like in that, you probably forgot what the 10 years prior to him showing up looked like.
in a hard capped league, overpaying one player means you lose out elsewhere. Mucho is unquestionably overpaid, by basically any and every metric or comparable contract. that much should not be up for debate.

most of us here have already said we're okay with him being overpaid because he is elite. and I recognize his talent. but I have a hard time liking him, and a harder time not resenting his selfish, unreasonable, and quite literally unprecedented demands fucking up our cap sheet and limiting our roster flexibility both in a huge way previously, and for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: CH1
My only complaint is that Marner didn't get $14M so that we couldn't afford Simmonds and Spezza.

Be grateful Simmonds rebuffed the Habs overly generous offer to take a hometown discount.

Spezza I don't get...if you're going to sign Thornton, why would you still need Spezza?

I was so bummed that that shitty Simmonds rumor actually came true.

Instead of laughing at you, I'm crying for me. A tragic reversal made possible by Dubie in a horrible move.

All I can say is get over it, and the extra $1M or $2M that Marner got isn't changing anything for us.
He says as the team has to perform daily cap gymnastics with zero cap space and just days ago lost a valuable depth piece because they had no cap space.

He says as the team has to perform daily cap gymnastics with zero cap space and just days ago lost a valuable depth piece because they had no cap space.

They weren't going to keep 3 goalies on the roster all year no matter how much capspace they had.

I’ve moved on from focusing on Mitch’s contract (I moved on fairly early). It’s nice to have an elite player we drafted and look forward to the 90-100+ seasons we’re going to see him put up.

Back