• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Bruins 1/24 7:30

Great win last night and a great performance for the Canes (for most of the game) in front of their moms. You knew Boston would make a push and they did in the 3rd, but Marty was able to capitalize on a Bruins defensive lapse to score the winner. Spencer Martin was very good in his debut.

I thought the play calling and the 4-man panel during the breaks showed a lot of love for the Canes. But watching the highlights on the NHL website, the Pens announcer sounded about as moribund as he could be. He make the Big Rig seem like John Forslund.

Even at 2-0 I was uncomfortable and at 2-1 I was hoping for a point. Because we've seen this movie before. So good on the guys to dig in at 2-2 and find a way out of it. They did a good job of pushing back at that point.

But will someone explain to me what Martin was doing on the first goal? His head clearly tracked the puck all the way across the top of the crease. Is there any reason you don't go for the poke in that situation? (Other than that, yes I thought he did pretty well.)

But will someone explain to me what Martin was doing on the first goal? His head clearly tracked the puck all the way across the top of the crease. Is there any reason you don't go for the poke in that situation? (Other than that, yes I thought he did pretty well.)
I think Martin realized he blew that by his reaction after Marchand scored.

Honestly though, a lot of goalies are not active enough with their stick in terms of preventing passes right across their crease. I don't know if it just happens too fast for them to get their stick on the pass, if they are worried about deflecting the pass right out in front or into the net, or exactly what keeps goalies from stopping that cross crease pass. I do know if you go for a poke and miss you are in a bad spot for a few seconds afterwards.

Sure looks simple on TV to just put that big paddle in the way and stop that pass.

Polarbare got his money’s worth in Beantown tonight!! It always feels a bit better beating that team.
Ya dang right I did! What a night!

Met some new Canes fans (2 converted Tewksbury natives who were Lockmonster fans back in the day), a guy from the Woo who was a Whalers fan, and 2 friends who recently moved up here from Raleigh (long time STM). We had dinner at Hurricane O'Reillys, then I settled in behind the bench by the player tunnel for 60 glorious minutes.

The B's fans around me even had to admit Marchand dove as much as anything on that penalty - no shocker there.

That TT goal was insane live, the guy beside me kept saying "he kicked it in!" -- naw bro, he went oopsie doodle between some legs.

Something about the Garden - it's quiet by Canes standards; like very quiet. I posted to Twitter that the first organized chant of any kind (Let's go Bruins) happened about 7 minutes into the SECOND period; can you imagine a whole period in Raleigh without the horn or Let's Go Canes or any of that? It's not Toronto quiet but until the Bruins tied it, you wouldn't know you were at a hockey game from the crowd noise.

That being said, the Bruins' faithful were very full of themselves at 2-2 until Martinook went ham and the place got really quiet again; you could hear the air being let out of the building - meaning I loved it.

As usual, no problems with Bruins fans - had a great time even on the T and whatnot getting back to the car. If you do come to Boston for a game, Loge seats are not for tall people - if you're over 5'10" or so, your knees are gonna hurt.

...then I settled in behind the bench by the player tunnel for 60 glorious minutes.
Your torso may have made an appearance on national TV when the team left the ice after the game.

I remember CaneFanT had a cameo appearance at a Habs game way back when.

Back