• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Bruins 1/24 7:30

I think Martin realized he blew that by his reaction after Marchand scored.

Honestly though, a lot of goalies are not active enough with their stick in terms of preventing passes right across their crease. I don't know if it just happens too fast for them to get their stick on the pass, if they are worried about deflecting the pass right out in front or into the net, or exactly what keeps goalies from stopping that cross crease pass. I do know if you go for a poke and miss you are in a bad spot for a few seconds afterwards.

Sure looks simple on TV to just put that big paddle in the way and stop that pass.
Those kind of bang/bang decisions are what separate good AHL goaltenders from good NHL goaltenders. Guess which kind Martin is. And look, that's fine. He's a vastly better third/fourth option than they had previously. But elite buzzards like Marchand force you to process info faster than your brain can click over sometimes.

We can afford to keep 3 for a while, can’t we? If so, I think that’s the most likely scenario.
It would be wise, yes. Especially given the general tissue paper vibe from the goaltending corps this season.

I think Martin realized he blew that by his reaction after Marchand scored.

Honestly though, a lot of goalies are not active enough with their stick in terms of preventing passes right across their crease. I don't know if it just happens too fast for them to get their stick on the pass, if they are worried about deflecting the pass right out in front or into the net, or exactly what keeps goalies from stopping that cross crease pass. I do know if you go for a poke and miss you are in a bad spot for a few seconds afterwards.

Sure looks simple on TV to just put that big paddle in the way and stop that pass.
I was hoping we'd get some comments on it from Henrik in the postgame, but they went straight to the late game.

... But elite buzzards like Marchand force you to process info faster than your brain can click over sometimes.
Yeah, you have an excellent bird's eye view of the goalie. The one time I got a ticket from you, it really hit me how important it is that the best athlete on your team better be the goalie. When that puck crosses the blue line, you blink your eye and you lose track of the puck.

Back