• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Jets 12/4 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Seth Jarvis gets a home game as the Canes embark on another week of Canes After Dark (but not tonight).

Saturday was a nice bounce back from the awful performance on Thursday. Aho had a pair of goals and a couple of chances to finish the hattie, both special teams scored, with Skjei’s shorty giving the team a new franchise record for most shorties by dmen in a season. It was his first, adding to Slavin’s pair and a Burns shorty. Kochetkov was a surprise starter in goal with Raanta not feeling 100% and he bounced back nicely too, only giving up a laser from Casey Mittelstadt off a bad Orlov turnover and an odd goal by Jost. The team didn’t practice yesterday, so we’ll have to see who gets the start in goal at the morning skate.

The Jets broke a 3 game losing streak on Saturday, beating the Blackhawks. They’re 6-4 in their last 10 and have 28 points in 23 games, 3rd in the Central. Kyle Connor has 14 goals, tied for 6th in the league. Mark Scheifele has 17 assists and 25 points. Connor Hellebuyck has started 18 games in goal. He's having a Connor Hellebuyck season, 2.49/.912, both just outside the top 10. He’s backed up by Laurent Brossoit, who came over from Vegas. He’s at 2.97/.877. The Jets are 14th in goals per game, 9th in goals against. They’re 18th on the PP, 26th on the PK.

Early start time for a game in Winnipeg. Bally Sports South for TV, Mike will be back.

So, this is a 6:30 pm local start time? On a Monday night? Why?

And that thing with the shorties by defensemen is down to Carolina being one of the few NHL teams that give d-men the green light to go ahead and rush all the way to the net on the kill. Plenty of other teams have supposedly adopted the "power kill" concepts that Brindy kicked off with the Canes, but nobody else is quite so committed to the bit as the Hurricanes. When they say "everybody take every chance to attack on the kill," they freaking mean it.

I feel like Winnipeg has replaced Montreal on the list of teams where you just assume they'll figure out a way to make the playoffs ... even if you don't know how when the season starts. It sure felt like a re-set this summer for the Jets, but they've figured out how to defend in front of Hellebuyck and they're getting just enough scoring to make it stick. Nothing special in any phase, but good enough in all phases to be in the game pretty much every night. Like most NHL teams, though ... the Jets are top heavy. Carolina will look to ratchet up the pressure on those depth lines and see if they can't unsettle them.

The Jets signed our old friend Nino Niederreiter to a 3 year extension with a $4 million AAV. That’s the same as his existing contract. He has 6 goals, 8 assists this season
As much as he's been around the block, it's hard to believe he's only 31. If he keeps up his productivity, that's a decent contract, less of a risk of him falling off a cliff with age with that term.

Even the bars? They should move the team to Flin Flon.
Flin Flon, Bobby Clark….
it is north and it is cold.
i think they have snow tunnels between igloos.

when I was living in Langdon, ND we had a game against the ‘med students’ at UND. ueah, Med students, riiiight. Lead by Gino Gasparini. And followed by their semi pro team the sugar kings or wheat kings from grand forks. We got beat pretty bad. We arranged another game, by ‘coincidence’ at the same time the bombers were in the area, Winnipeg but it may have been Branden. One of our town doctors and my co-coach just happened to have a couple cousins on the Flin flon team. He brought them and some of their friends to the forks for the rematch. A slightly different and more fun game. Our ringers against their ringers.

It's really sad that you can count in us allowing the first goal after dominating a first period like that.

Back