• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Jets 12/4 7:30

We're the Carolina Hurricanes, and we're here to make your goalie look like a god. Would like to have seen our goalie stop at least one of those goals, but this loss isn't on Raanta. We need our scorers to score. I thought the last 6 minutes or so, we couldn't get anything going offensively.

Raanta finished with a .910

The league is back to 80s era scoring avg 3.13g and the Canes generated 1. We've regressed back to a ton of low quality outside shots with little net front presence to capitalize most of the time, while giving up 2-3 A+ chances each game. The goalies need to get some of those, but the offense can't get "goalied" 30 games a year either.

(edited because it sounded argumentative on 2nd read and that wasn't my intention)

Last edited:
Raanta finished with a .910

Say what you want but he isn't the reason they lost. The league is back to 80s era scoring avg 3.13g and the Canes generated 1. We've regressed back to a ton of low quality outside shots with little net front presence to capitalize most of the time, while giving up 2-3 A+ chances each game. The goalies need to get some of those, but the offense can't get "goalied" 30 games a year either.
Sure ... gotta score more than 1 to get a W, barring some serious defensive heroics. That said, It's the same old problem. The Canes rock a 70% on the old "deserve to win-o-meter" but can't manage more than 1 goal. They did everything but get the second one in the back of the net ... bars were hit, shots were deflected just off target, yadda, yadda. It's a familiar old song.

I thought Ken Holland was committing malpractice in EDM failing to address their goaltending for a second year. It’s not that much different here re-signing the Fragile Brothers, except it just got that much worse with Andersen’s health, Raanta’s a year older and Kochetkov getting rattled in goal.

I dunno. Anderson and Raanta weren’t a bad combo and Kochectov was/is expected to continue to develop. Raanta hasn’t been good enough and Anderson has been out and K hasn’t been very good at all. That’s 3 strikes that all broke bad.

It’s not like better options abounded. Anyone else available for similar money carried similar riisks. How much would you give up for a known quantity in net? Pesce/Necas and Jarvis? Something more?

I think cmon3 is right - we just needed 1 of the 3 to play well and right now we're crapped out as Freddie may be gone permanently and Raanta/Kochetkov both regressed.

Tendies are this year's PP - wildly inconsistent and usually subpar.

I think cmon3 is right - we just needed 1 of the 3 to play well and right now we're crapped out as Freddie may be gone permanently and Raanta/Kochetkov both regressed.

Tendies are this year's PP - wildly inconsistent and usually subpar.
Yeah, although in hindsight the real risk was the Raanta/Andersen duo. Young goalies are always a risk and Kochetkov has never been particularly consistent. But with a stable vet in one of those other two slots, you can deal with that. Problem being, both of Carolina's 1A/B guys are notoriously fragile. They got away with it for two years*, but asking for 3 seems reckless in hindsight.

*caveat being that I'm not convinced that the 2021-22 team with Freddie playing his best (as he did for most of the season) wouldn't have been a legit Cup threat. Raanta wasn't terrible in that series against NYR, but he wasn't great either. and he got hurt ... again. I like Carolina's chances a LOT more with Andersen in that series, and then ... who knows?

Unfortunately there isn’t much they can do about it this year. You’re not going to find a clear #1 via trade…at least it’s very unlikely…but they absolutely have to address it in the offseason. Which goes without saying, but I’m saying it anyway.

Seems like finding a clear number 1 via trade is just as possible now as the offseason. The problem is the price will be more than you want to bear. It’s going to take one of our best players plus in the offseason or now.

No, no ... you just have to do the opposite. So, Rod gets a long contract extension and the ice cream girl gets the Gerald Gallant Memorial cab ride home. Although I hope it's not the lady who works the register at the Two Roosters stand because she's delightful.
I suppose that works. It would be unfortunate for the poor ice cream girl but she can always accept the Panthers HC position. Which, while embarrassing because of all the losing and the subsequent public firing is fantastic financially. Where else can you sign a 5 year deal. Suck for 8 months and get paid for 5 years to not do the job.

Back