• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Sharks 10/14 10:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Ready for the first edition of #CanesAfterDark?

The Canes embark on their annual State Fair roadie, a trip that will take them to San Jose, Seattle, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. The games are pretty well spread out, no back to backs and 3 days off at the end. Brent Burns gets a homecoming game today, his first game in the Shark Tank as a visitor since 2011. I’m sure he’ll get a nice ovation, he was pretty well beloved in San Jose. The Canes didn’t practice yesterday before heading out, they just had a team meeting before heading out. With that as the case, don’t expect any lineup changes.

This is the Sharks home opener. They started the season losing a pair of games to Nashville in Prague last weekend. They scored 3 goals total, 1 each from Hertl, Kunin and Couture. Kahkonen and Reimer split the games in goal. Old friend Steven Lorentz played a total of 26 minute and had an assist in the 2nd game. We could also see brother on brother, as Svech the Elder is in San Jose. He played 8:27 in the 2nd game and had no shots and 1 hit.

Bally Sports South for TV.

Last edited:
Seems too early to kick off Canes After Dark for game 2, but here we are. Burns will get his homecoming game in early too, although he doesn't strike me as the sentimental sort and he didn't leave with any hard feelings. So this is not a Trocheck playing against Florida kind of deal. Not that this stuff holds true all the time, but it's worth noting that most teams who have played in those Euro kick off deals (including Carolina) have struggled upon returning stateside. Bottom line ... it would be wise for the Canes to bring the intensity early before the Sharks get their bearings.

Old people eat dinner at 3p and say goodnight at 8p. Young people eat dinner at 11p and go to bed at 4a. This yearly road trip is a youth movement. I’ll see you in about a week.
Pro tip ... those extended highlights/game recaps the NHL posts on YouTube are quite good. And they generally have them edited and posted a couple of hours after the game so they're right there waiting for you in the morning.

Old people eat dinner at 3p and say goodnight at 8p. Young people eat dinner at 11p and go to bed at 4a. This yearly road trip is a youth movement. I’ll see you in about a week.
Define old. My wife and I are in our late 50s and rarely eat dinner before 8:30.

Just saying...!

Not to go too OT, but we had breakfast yesterday at Monuts in Durham (in the old Magnolia Grill space). Lunch came and we were still full. Dinner came and we weren't hungry at all. It sucks not being able to pack it in any more.

I have the same issue when eating a chocolate iced donut from Duck Donuts. That thing sits like a cinder block in my tummy for the rest of the day.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Brian Pochmara #16, TJ Luxmore #21

Linesmen:
Bryan Pancich #94, Bevan Mills #53

Neither team had a good record with these refs last year. Canes were a combined 3-7, Sharks were 0-5.

He fell and broke.. :(
We knew he wasn't the most reliable but only Wisniewski had a worse Canes career start.

More seriously I hope he's healthy and looks to his long term health.. He might just need to hang them up..

Projected line-up for tonight, per Walt Ruff…

Forwards:

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis
Svechnikov - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Stastny - Staal - Fast
Martinook - Stepan - Noesen

Defense:

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Pesce
de Haan - Chatfield

With Kase out with a possible concussion, Noesen plugs into the fourth line. Raanta gets the start in net.

Sadly, Kase has already had umpteen concussions and probably shouldn’t be playing hockey anymore when you consider his future health. Feel for the guy but we all knew this signing came with a box of duct tape and you’re fingers crossed on him staying in the lineup.

Back