• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Sharks 11/17 10:30

Our only healthy options for a realistic forward callup are Jamieson Rees, Blake Murray or Cal Burke at this point. Justin Robidas hasn't even played a pro game yet. You can't really call up one of our players on loan to Europe (well you CAN, but not easily and would you go that route if it wasn't a clear long term emergency?).

Signing any of our as of yet signed non-CHL prospects (all the college kids or the Russians) wouldn't make any sense given they have no AHL team to go to. No Russian is going to sign with us to be our #14/15/16 forward.

In the most extreme pinch, a team could do an emergency recall and bring someone up from a Canada Major Juniors team, play him a few games in the NHL, and then ship him back to his Juniors team, like the Canes did many years ago with Ryan Murphy. But do you know how many CHL forwards the Canes own draft rights to right now? Yep, ZERO!!! Nothing but Russians, Euros and College kids.

Rees would likely be the default just because Cal Burke has never played the Canes system (and still isn't and likely never will, even though we traded for him).

There are also plenty of NHL vets sitting at home waiting for their phones to ring. I doubt the Canes want to go that route.

Last edited:
Depends on how hurt Suzuki is, I guess.
Ponomarov and Suzuki both started the season on non-roster IR. I can’t see any situation where either would be called up now, without being seen by the coaching staff and participating in a full practice. Maybe when the team gets back. If they need a forward, it’s probably Rees by default, he’s the only forward playing in the AHL. Norfolk’s season doesn’t start until next week.

Ponomarov and Suzuki both started the season on non-roster IR. I can’t see any situation where either would be called up now, without being seen by the coaching staff and participating in a full practice. Maybe when the team gets back. If they need a forward, it’s probably Rees by default, he’s the only forward playing in the AHL. Norfolk’s season doesn’t start until next week.
I was more thinking of a role as an extra forward than jumping straight into the lineup. It's my understanding that Suzuki wasn't going to be out all that long. Could be wrong ... which is fine.

Back