• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Stars 1/25 8:30

Somebody probably will, and will report the "no real update" or whatever soft, half description the Canes always offer up like it's actual information. My beef is with what happens next ... which this season has been not a thing. In a week or so, somebody will remember to ask about Slavin if he's still out. Maybe they'll even think to press the team on what's actually wrong with him. Nah, probably not. That would be confrontational and God forbid anyone risks ticking off Mike Sundheim and his communication minions.
My beef too...I guess it starts with Sundheim but it's a joke...I get the lower body/upper body nonsense but when a guy like Freddy, your starting netminder goes down for 2 freaking months and there are no updates and even the coach sounds perplexed by the questions of when he may return it's tough to understand. Most journalists that cover pro teams ask the hard questions daily...in this market that's never really happened except for the consistency in De Cock's occasional articles where he at least is not afraid to tell it like it is, but he's not a beat writer.

I think that seems to be what passes for reporting these days. No research, no digging. Just propaganda mouthpieces.
Nah. Plenty of sports teams have real beat writers who ask real questions and do real reporting. Not the Canes obviously, but virtually every other pro team I follow has multiple beat writers who would at least force the team to repeat their same BS over and over again until it became obvious how ridiculous the whole things is ... even to casual fans.

You know which teams I follow that don't have legit media to contend with? Yup ... MLS and NWSL teams. And even then, many MLS markets have 2-3 dedicated, professional beat reporters covering a team. So, congrats. The Canes somehow get roughly the same media scrutiny as the NC Courage.

Back