• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Stars 1/25 8:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
A 1 game roadie to the Lone Star State kicks off consecutive Western Conference games.

At his post practice presser yesterday, RBA said that Slavin was doubtful for today, I guess we’ll see at the morning skate. With 2 games against the Western Conference, the 2nd of which is against the dreadful Sharks, I’d almost rather he sit out both and be as close to normal for the Bruins on Sunday. I suspect we’re going to see Raanta some time in the next few days, he hasn’t played since January 7. In the meantime, Freddie’s numbers are climbing back to respectability. Since returning from injury, he’s 4-0 with a 1.75 GAA and .942 save %.

The Stars have hit a small bump, 5-3-2 in their last 10, coming off an OT loss to the Slugs on Monday. They lead the Central with 64 points in 49 games, 1 point ahead of Winnipeg. They’re 5th in the league in points %. Jason Robertson busted out last season with 41 goals, he’s on a pace to obliterate that, he’s at 32, tied for 4th in the league. They have 5 other skaters in double figure goals, including Canes killer Joe Pavelski, who is also tied with Robertson with 33 assists. Miro Heiskanen is right behind with 32, half of them on the PP. Jake Oettinger has started 35 games in goal. He’s 3rd in the league in GAA at 2.22 and tied for 2nd in Save % at .925. He didn’t play against the Canes in December, Scott Wedgewood was in goal for that one. He’s at 2.97/.911. The Stars are in the top 10 in just about everything you can think of. They’re 7th in goals per game, 2nd in goals against, 5th on the PP and 4th on the PK. They’re also one of the few teams better than the Canes in the circle, winning 54.5%, 3rd in the league.

Bally Sports South for TV.

This is weirdly a better matchup for Carolina than it was when Rick Bowness was coaching the Stars, simply for the way the systems matchup. Carolina always struggled with the Stars over the past few years regardless of form or relative quality, but Brindy's puck pressure works really well to confound DeBoer's more conventional setup ... even if that is actually more effective for Dallas overall.

That said, this is still a tough matchup. Dallas is great at the things Carolina has struggled with this season. Top 5 power play and penalty kill, deadly on the rush, consistently good goaltending ... a tough combination. There's a reason they're leading the Central. Basically it's a question of Carolina's possession and shot volume overcoming Dallas' more surgical scoring.

Love watching these two teams play, should be a good one and the last of the long layoffs (except the all star game)

The ESPN NHL panel the other night had several picking the Dallas Stars as eventual Cup Champs…interesting considering how many teams are so good out of the East. Tough one for sure tonight.

This is always a chippy game with Dallas always more than willing to bang and be physical. I would prefer Slavin let his nicks and what not sit out the next two games. Let Coughlin play and demonstrate why we need better in that spot.

There is a morning skate in about an hour, so we’ll see who’s in and who’s in goal.

Were also wearing black jerseys tonight, Dallas is wearing their reverse retros.

There is a morning skate in about an hour, so we’ll see who’s in and who’s in goal.

Were also wearing black jerseys tonight, Dallas is wearing their reverse retros.
Lots of teamsthis season reverse retro us

Freddie was the first goalie off the ice, so he's starting. Slavin didn’t participate in the skate, so he’s out.

The ESPN NHL panel the other night had several picking the Dallas Stars as eventual Cup Champs…interesting considering how many teams are so good out of the East. Tough one for sure tonight.
Also interesting given DeBoer's playoff history. Until one of his teams actually wins the Cup, I'm afraid I'm not picking them willingly. That said, I think picking a Western champ will probably make sense. The Eastern playoffs are gonna be a freaking meat grinder.

Back