• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Devils 1/25 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
After a rousing win in Beantown, the Canes return home to face the depleted Devils.

The power play stayed hot, converting on 2 chances. Martin Necas stayed hot, scoring in his 3rd straight after returning from injury. Jordan Martinook stayed hot, scoring the game winner, his 5th goal in the last 6 games. His mom took a star turn with a national TV postgame interview that got Marty all choked up. And Spencer Martin had a great game in his Canes debut. There shouldn’t be any lineup changes tonight, absent a full practice, I don’t think Svech gets back into the lineup. With the team scheduled to be off tomorrow, I doubt he plays on Saturday either. Expect Raanta in goal.

The Devils were expected to contend and they’re still hanging around, 4th in the division, 5 points behind the Flyers and 3rd in the wild card standings 2 points behind the Red Wings. They have 51 points in 45 games and are 5-4-1 in their last 10, coming off a 6-5 OT win over Vegas on Monday. They're missing Jack Hughes, Tomas Nosek, Ondrej Palat and Dougie Hamilton to injury and Michal McLeod and Cal Foote on leaves of absence. Tyler Toffoli leads with 20 goals, Jesper Bratt has 31 assists and 48 points. Like the Canes, the Devils are being undone by their goaltending. Vitek Vanacek has played 27 games and carries a 3.28/.883 stat line, both significantly worse than last year. He‘s backed up by Nico Daws, who is at 3.19/.903 in 7 games since being recalled in December. The Devils sent Akira Schmid to the AHL in December to play games and get into a rhythm. He was 3.26/.893 in 15 games before being sent down. Whatever it was that they were looking for, it hasn’t been found, he’s at 3.65/.886 in 9 games in Utica. The Devils can score, 6th in the league at 3.47 goals per game. But, as can be told by the goalie stats, they allow a lot too, tied for 27th at 3.51 goals allowed. Their PP is good, 4th in the league, just behind the Canes. The PK is 23rd.

Black jerseys tonight. Later start tonight, this was supposed to be a National TV game but was swapped out, so Bally Sports South for TV.

Last edited:
Cue up the Stryper, baby.

It's the Crap Goaltending Classic brought to you by Pepto Bismal. I understand that Daws was in the starter's crease for the morning skate, so he'll duel it out with Raanta to see who can collect the most sarcastic cheers for routine stops. Of course, there's also some bad blood left over from the playoffs, so this one could get wooly.

I checked in with a Devils fan friend and asked him how they’d do without McLeod and Foote. His response.

”We’re gonna miss Cal Foote because he was the pillar of our defense and McLeod is a 4th line center playing 2nd line because of injuries so if we lose it won’t be because of not having those two scumbags”

That Devil defense is pretty green and raw in the grand scheme of things...you would hope the Canes could make some hay tonight...
My Devils friend says 4 rookies on D. So yeah, green and raw.

Misyul was recalled from Utica, so he may slot in tonight.

Shoot the F’ing puck!!! If cute is what they are going for I guess they win…

Edit…just like that!!! And like that…again.

Back