• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Flyers 11/15 7:30

I am beyond flummoxed as to what the expectation was to bringing in Olav and DeAngelo. That money was poorly spent when we need offense not named Bunting, Aho, Jarvis, Svechnikov, and Necas who are just MIA.

We are too soft against Torts coached teams.

I noticed that too. I think if they were crisp with their passing more of those would get through. It’s not that those passes aren’t there but the space/time window is fleeting. Kind of like a QB being late on the throw. The window is only open for a second and it’s a small window.
IMO those passes were not "there" and this is not the first game I've seen that crap from this year's team. That stuff is speculative at best, even against poorly organized defenses. It's one thing to have a single guy like DeAngelo spraying those things around like a wonky sprinkler head, but when you've got 4 or 5 other guys doing the same thing it's an absolute possession killer ... and this team is built to possess the puck. Whey they don't it inevitably falls apart, especially when the goaltending isn't good ... and it decidedly is not good right now.

Bottom line ... when you see or hear Staal or Brindy talking about getting on the same page or buying into the system, THAT's what they're talking about. Not effort issues ... Svech is right about that, everybody's playing hard ... but rather giving up the high risk hero pass in favor of making the percentage play and possessing the puck.

Wonder if they’d consider moving Necas for a center? I get the mr overtime stuff and maybe that’s enough to get interest somewhere. But I’m still not sure he’s ever going to fit Rod’s player type. Clearly we’re a little more stocked in defense for a trade but it’s not often you actually here rod say anything about changes.

IMO those passes were not "there" and this is not the first game I've seen that crap from this year's team.
It’s certainly not there by the time they try to make the play. The point is they need to make the play they have instead of the one that was maybe there a second earlier. They’re not doing that. Instead they’re flailing away on a fling and a prayer. plus they’re predictable about it so the other team is poised for it and too often blocking shots or intercepting passes leading to chances against and penalties because we’re chasing the plays.

If they make better passes they will have more time and space, which leads to more and better plays to be made.

Wonder if they’d consider moving Necas for a center? I get the mr overtime stuff and maybe that’s enough to get interest somewhere. But I’m still not sure he’s ever going to fit Rod’s player type. Clearly we’re a little more stocked in defense for a trade but it’s not often you actually here rod say anything about changes.
I'd say probably not, because he's got the one thing you can't just go get on the open market (without paying a fortune) ... actual talent.

This team is stacked with talent, it’s just not meshing right now. The biggest changes affecting that in my opinion is the addition of TDA and Orlov.

This team is stacked with talent, it’s just not meshing right now. The biggest changes affecting that in my opinion is the addition of TDA and Orlov.
I’d put Bunting in that category too. There were times yesterday where it looked like he was carrying a piano on his back. If he can’t keep up with the pace of his linemates, he’s not going to be much help.

I’d put Bunting in that category too. There were times yesterday where it looked like he was carrying a piano on his back. If he can’t keep up with the pace of his linemates, he’s not going to be much help.
I forgot about bunting. Guess that says all you need to know lol

Bunting can play the possession game and at times he mixes in just fine. And then he starts to act like he's on the Leafs again and starts blowing the D zone early looking for long passes ... which is a 1st Grade no-no in Canesland. He'll either get it and stick around or he won't and he'll get moved.

Even with the additions, the Canes still don't have the kind of pure offensive skill to just go out and blow by organized defenses ... which is what they keep trying to do. They have enough skill and more importantly depth to play the way they're built. And they're built to pressure the puck, to suck all the air out of the building with sustained possession and to overwhelm teams with volume offense. Guys like Necas, Aho, Orlov, Burns (in spots ... he's old) and Svech (once he gets that monkey off his back) can make something out of nothing and sometimes you need that. But every contender has those guys ... and generally a better variety if we're being honest.

Necas is a beautiful skater and talented player, I’m not convinced we are the right team for him or he for us. He can dazzle, puck handle and skate but then just when he’s got you sitting on the edge of your seat, he becomes Sergei Samsonov..

Necas is a beautiful skater and talented player, I’m not convinced we are the right team for him or he for us. He can dazzle, puck handle and skate but then just when he’s got you sitting on the edge of your seat, he becomes Sergei Samsonov..
OT points are important and he might be the best 3 on 3 player in the whole league

OT points are important and he might be the best 3 on 3 player in the whole league
Have to get there first. He has 5 goals, 7 assists on the season. At even strength, he has 4 goals, 4 assists. But 2 of those goals and 1 assist were in OT, so at 5 on 5, he has 2 goals, 3 assists. And he‘s -9, worst among forwards, 2nd worst on the team, behind Orlov and tied with TDA.

He’s a beautiful skater and can stick handle out of a phone booth. But if it amounts to nothing, we might was as well watch Scott Hamilton.

Our discussion on Necas may as well be a perennial conversation. Every year, it's the same song. We see for ourselves the innate talent he has and his dazzling skating ability, but he often doesn't seem to know when to get rid of the puck before it's too late and then makes a costly turnover. With that said, I agree with JB that he's one of the best OT players I've seen and I'm all for hoping he will continue to improve.

The big decision with what to do with Necas is fast approaching. If the Canes don't make him part of a big in season hockey trade to try to change the mix, what is going to become of RFA to be Necas after the season? If he's a 60+ point guy again, regardless of his flaws, that pretty much demands at least $7 million per on a long term deal. Are the Canes really willing to give Necas that contract?

There’s a correlation between how Necas is doing and how the team is doing. My suspicion is that if the team is playing like they should then he doesn’t make those plays, and when he does there’s less risk because the other team in not in attack mode. There’s a price you pay for offensively gifted players. They ALWAYS think they can make the play.

Have to get there first. He has 5 goals, 7 assists on the season. At even strength, he has 4 goals, 4 assists. But 2 of those goals and 1 assist were in OT, so at 5 on 5, he has 2 goals, 3 assists. And he‘s -9, worst among forwards, 2nd worst on the team, behind Orlov and tied with TDA.

He’s a beautiful skater and can stick handle out of a phone booth. But if it amounts to nothing, we might was as well watch Scott Hamilton.
I get all that, but somehow Necas seems to become the primary focus of fan heat whenever the team is doing badly whether he's producing or not. If they can't figure out how to play their game with a couple of guys who have legit high end talent on the roster then we may as well just give up on any Cup hopes ... and yet everybody around here seems to have those pretty firmly intact.

Maybe he's the right guy long term, maybe not. That's above my pay grade. But guys with big skill often have defensive issues, and yet you need guys who can make stuff happen out there. Otherwise every shift of every game is a grind, and we've seen how that goes.

This team is not fond of it but it might be time like CMal mentioned to make a large hockey trade with real high end players being involved to adjust the roster enough to change things up. I agree with CMal that is Necas at $7 million plus a fit here with hot and cold production moving forward? Is Pesce really going to be allowed to walk for nothing at years end? I’d be fine with a large trade that involved both guys if it made sense with the guys coming back. Yeah big trades mid season are tough but sometimes a change of scenery and a shake up can benefit two teams. This team all year has looked off, it’s hard to say what is missing but adding Bunting and Orlov and hoping for that to be the tonic to what’s missing is not it, they need something more.

They need to play their game. They have talent but not elite talent. They do not have those unstoppable offensive force guys but nobody is trading those guys. If you don’t have them nobody’s trading’s you one. Changing the deck chairs isn’t the answer for sure. Maybe the team we have isn’t the answer but it’s not like we’re going to swing Pesce and Necas for McDavid. And McDavid hasn’t won squat either.

They need to find their game and we need to not blame the problems on Necas and Orlov. If anything the issue is with Aho and Staal, Slavin, Svetch and Burns for being very good but not superstar elite level. Necas will be fine and a huge asset if this team starts to play the way they need to. There’s no question that they can. The additions are spot on for what this team was lacking last year but they need to buy in to playing the way they need to play.

Back