• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Jackets 10/12 7:00

Far Too Jones! That's it.

Bask in the '90s-est rock that ever '90s-ed:

Not my thing, but it may be yours. Who knows, maybe they even played your prom at Broughton HS back in '96?
Nope - that's not who I was thinking of. A friend at last night's game helped me figure it out. Does anyone remember Airiel Down and "Hurricane Warning" that was often played between periods at the arena? Here is the song:

Reactions: JFG
Wow. That one was completely stricken from my memory banks I guess. LOL. Now that I think about it, the Far Too Jones appearance may have been done when the team was still in Greensboro.

Nope - that's not who I was thinking of. A friend at last night's game helped me figure it out. Does anyone remember Airiel Down and "Hurricane Warning" that was often played between periods at the arena? Here is the song:

Yes, I remember this.

About the game: It was great seeing a full house last night. Tripp opened the 1st as the siren sounder and he got a huge applause from the crowd. I always enjoy the introduction of the coaches and players - I think Brindy got the longest and loudest response of anyone.

The first period was a bit of a mess and the rust was obvious. But we slowly took control in the 2nd and dominated in the 3rd. Kudos to Necas, who continued his strong performance from the pre-season. He was great all night long. Not at all worried about Aho or Turbo, but they weren't very good last night. I believe we've won each home season opener under Brindy's regime. Love walking out happy after a victory at home!

Beaux Foy‘s band. He’s also a snowboard instructor and many other things.

This game was an example of why these Canes teams are so good. All 4 lines, when they are on, can get things done. You rarely are going to get everyone clicking in the same game, but when you have this type of depth, you don't need all 4 lines having a great game to win.

Even though Aho didn't end up on the scoresheet, Jarvis's goal was a direct result of Aho pressuring Roslovic into a bad decision behind the net.

Chatfield looked like a guy who deserved to be in the lineup. He was exactly what we needed from our 3rd pair RD last night. Can he do that consistently?

Solid first game of the season win.

I don't see the game the way most of you do, so when a player looks bad to me I guess they need to be really, really terrible to everyone else. So, please, keep that in mind when I say this: I liked 4th line Marty Party last night. Maybe that line looked good because of the competition? I don't know, but I liked it.

The 4th line was good last night, including Martinook. That Necas goal was really the 4th line winning. I'll be more concerned with how that 4th line handles being on the road when we can't shelter them, but every team's 4th line has that concern for the most part.

Chatfield looked like a guy who deserved to be in the lineup. He was exactly what we needed from our 3rd pair RD last night. Can he do that consistently?

Solid first game of the season win.
Agreed. Chatfield was all over the ice last night (in a good way). Also, I loved the way Burns buried a player who took an extra swipe at Freddie.

for @jeffbear:
Kotkaniemi is a bum he only had one assist!.
More seriously:
Aho and TT weren't all that good tonight.
Necas Covered for them though.
Aho had one of those games where he was THIS close to about five breakaways but none of them came off. Turbo, I thought, was fine. He had a couple of decent looks himself and set up three or four other solid chances. Sometimes stuff falls in your favor, sometimes not.

The 4th line was good last night, including Martinook. That Necas goal was really the 4th line winning. I'll be more concerned with how that 4th line handles being on the road when we can't shelter them, but every team's 4th line has that concern for the most part.
I actually thought Martinook was fairly terrible in the first two periods ... running around like a chicken with his head cut off. It didn't end up counting, but he should be embarrassed by that play he tried to make on Sillinger's goal. Play the body, man. To his credit, he course-corrected and had a strong 3rd. Kase was Kase (a freaking puck retrieval machine) and Stepan was really good all night. Strong effort for the 4th line overall, although Columbus is NOT deep.

While the good feelings about Opening Night are still strong, I think the organization deserves kudos for having Tripp sound the siren. The fact that this happened was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I think it warrants pointing out the support that the Canes and the fans have given him post-rehab. If everyone dealing with those issues got this kind of support, addiction would be a smaller problem in our society.

Good job by everyone around.

Aho will be fine; he was on the opposing team from me for fantasy hockey last night, dude was just doing me a solid.

Martinook looked better than he has in some time, I thought all 4 lines did a great job keeping the pressure going after a slow start.
That goal to start the 2nd is reminiscent of last year, but the boys recovered well.

My favorite part of the night was how happy Burnsy looked doing the Storm Surge, he really wants to bring a cup here.

And someone noted that RBA has been with the org for all but 3 of it's years; that's just an amazing stat. And we've had Staals for 22 ofthose I believe it was.

Overall thoughts ... some stuff to clean up but a pretty good start. You wanted Kotkaniemi and Necas to show something right out of the gate and they both delivered. KK by doing what he does exceptionally well ... winning wall battles, forechecking his little heart out, being sneaky physical and distributing the puck aggressively. Necas by dialing back what gets him in trouble and letting the game come to him. He passed and moved instead of trying to beat 4 guys on the rush, he used his speed to beat his check to a dangerous position multiple times and he actually back checked hard all night. He got the reward for his efforts on the scoresheet, but that would have been a great game from him even if nothing had dropped.

As for negatives - I didn't like how easily Columbus shifted to that same soft pressure forecheck that the Canes struggled with against the Rangers in the playoffs. Somebody needs to figure that crap out. Also, they seemed to pick it up as the game went along, but this team needs to trust themselves in transition a lot more now that they're built for it a bit better. Skjei's goal came on an extended rush sequence, but early on they bailed out of those and chipped the puck in too much rather than looking to re-set and re-cycle. Guys like Burns, Jarvis, Stasny and Kase are sneaking into open space when the speed guys cause chaos on those rushes ... find them and keep the pressure on. I know Carolina is probably the best forechecking team in the league, but they often lean on that too much. And Freddie ... man, speed up the decision making when you have the puck, buddy. You fiddled your way into trouble for no particular reason about 5 times.

I thought Martinook was not good and the parking was terrible.

other than that I liked what I saw.

KK also went 11-5 on faceoffs for a gaudy 69%. Staal had an awful night by his standards, going 7-9, the only guy under 50% (Kase doesn’t count at 0-1). Boone Jenner ate his lunch, Staal was 2-6 against him. Jenner was the only Jacket over 50%, largely because of Staal. Aho won more than 50% against him, KK and Necas broke even. Everyone else was under 40%, with Sillinger at 20%

Look at Columbus' centers for a second. Face offs against them aren't going to be a problem for anyone this season.

Back