• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Lightning 11/24 8:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We get an extra hour to shake off the tryptophan-induced coma.

The Canes look for their first 3 game winning streak since the end of October against the drifting Lightning. This is the rubber game of the 3 game season series, with each team beating the other by shutout, the Canes winning the last game, 4-0 with Kochetkov getting the shutout. The team had yesterday off, so, barring injury or illness, we should see the same lineup as we saw on Wednesday, with the starting goalie being the only question mark. Raanta was pulled on Wednesday for precautionary reasons, so it wouldn’t shock me of we saw Kochetkov tonight. He allowed 2 goals on 15 shots in the last 2 periods.

The Bolts are 5-3-2 in their last 10 and have 23 points in 20 games, 3rd in the Atlantic but 5th on points percentage since they’ve played the most games of any team in the division. They’re coming off an OT loss to Winnipeg. But the big news is the probable season debut of Andrei Vasilevskiy, returning from a microdiscectomy. The Bolts are still scoring; they’re 8th in the league at 3.50 goals per game. But they’re 26th in goals against at 3.60. Kucherov leads with 13 goals, Hedman has 17 assists. In addition to those two, Point and Stamkos are better than a point per game and Hagel isn’t far off that pace. But, reflecting their poor goals against, they only have 4 skaters better than even in plus/minus and 2 of them have played a combined 5 games. Stamkos and Sergachev are both -10 or worse. Their PP is still potent, 2nd in the league at 31.3%. Kucherov has nearly half his points on the PP, Stamkos has more than half of his. They’re 11th on the PK at 84.5%

Black jerseys tonight. Despite the later than usual start, this isn’t a national TV game, it’s on Bally Sports South.

Back to back we hate old people start times for me, with the Canes game at 8 tonight and the State/Carolina game at 8 on Saturday. Shame I can't really nap but on the upside - I have next to nothing to do the next couple of days.

Assuming Raanta's precaution was groin-related, I'm certain we'll see Kochetkov tonight. I'm less certain about what we'll see from him, which is really starting to be an issue for me. As for Vasilevskiy, that've said there's a "good chance" he makes a start "during this road trip." It's a 3 game roadie starting tonight against the Canes, continuing with Colorado and then Arizona. I know which one of those three I'd pick for a guy coming off of back surgery and it ain't the first two. But hey, we'll see.

Back to back we hate old people start times for me, with the Canes game at 8 tonight and the State/Carolina game at 8 on Saturday. Shame I can't really nap but on the upside - I have next to nothing to do the next couple of days.
- Can't nap, or can't get caught napping? There's a real difference...says the guy who can sleep sitting up.

Jim

Canes D Raanta can't get hurt if we don't let them shoot.. (Sadly this is not a theory to test.)

That was as good a defensive period as you’ll see. The Bolts’ only shot was a dump-in from center ice that happened to trickle on goal.

Back