• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Lightning 11/24 8:00

Raanta is NOT a #1 goalie. And as long as those his to ride him, they're toast. It's time to go goalie shopping.
Now, see ... I've avoided that last bit because woof that's tough to do mid-season. You're almost always just hoping some other slob who's been on a rough ride so far will benefit from a change of scenery ... and paying through the nose for the privilege. It's not like some team that's down on their luck (let's stipulate Nashville and the Islanders and get those two fantasies off the table) are gonna barf up a legit franchise keeper just to do the Canes a favor. So you're probably shopping for somebody else's backup and hoping for the best. I'd set the absolute highest bar at convincing Ottawa to let Korpisalo go because he's really the only veteran goalie who's playing pretty well under bad circumstances. But that would come with that boat anchor of a contract he's on ... and the fact that he's Korpisalo, so "playing pretty well" is all you could ever hope for. He's playing better than our guys, but ... ugh.

Korpisalo is in the first year of a 5 year, $4 million AAV contract and has a 10 team NTC. It maybe he wants to be reunited with Teravainen, with whom he played for 2 seasons at Jokerit?

If Freddie is going to be out for longer than was originally thought, it makes sense to consider some shopping for a decent replacement. Raanta was truly bad on Friday, but I think trying to find a goalie now is sort of pie in the sky thinking. Taking a longer view, Raanta has played reliably well over his tenure with Canes - even when he gives up a few "coulda-shoulda" goals - so he can bounce back. However, when the team around him is as undisciplined as they were against the Bolts, even Patrick Roy isn't going to save them.

Korpisalo is in the first year of a 5 year, $4 million AAV contract and has a 10 team NTC. It maybe he wants to be reunited with Teravainen, with whom he played for 2 seasons at Jokerit?
I see is contract as a non-starter, but if they offered him a chance to play on a decent team he'd likely take it. Especially with a decent number of Finns on said team. Remember, he thought he was committing to an upswing in Ottawa that has fizzled before it got started and spent the rest of his career playing for freaking Torts. So ... yeah. He'd probably be OK with a move to Carolina.

Back