• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Lightning 11/24 8:00

Jekyl and Hyde team all year with bad goaltending…the race for biggest underachieving team so far is New Jersey, Edmonton and Carolina…

Put this one in the books as one of the worst games I've ever seen this franchise play. And I have seen myself some really bad hockey.

Ouch... we had it on in the other room while we played family card games... glad I traded in my tix cause we were headed out of town

Ouch... we had it on in the other room while we played family card games... glad I traded in my tix cause we were headed out of town
Yeah, we sold outs because we’re at my daughter’s house, I watched the first 2 periods while setting up my new iPhone. Then we went to dinner. Glad I missed the 3rd. On the plus side, it was a really good dinner.

I’m taking my kids Sunday vs Columbus, not sure what Sunday brings after that stinkfest last night. I guess it’s safe to say Kotchetkov will start.

Yeah I'd like Raanta to have stopped a few more shots but up until number 5 none of them were shots that I'd blame him on...

Yeah I'd like Raanta to have stopped a few more shots but up until number 5 none of them were shots that I'd blame him on...
Still he can’t let 3 in on 4 shots. He needed to make a stop. Then when the team started getting back on their game he let in #4 and the wheels came off.

Left this game with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd because I got tired of watching the Bolts walk all over us - and if the Canes weren't going to play then I wasn't going to stay.

Yes, Raanta stunk to high heaven, but some of those goals were high-quality shots by a team that knows how to score. After a decent 1st period, we decided that we didn't really need to put a man on an open Bolt player and that we could drop pass, back pass, and crap pass to imaginary Canes' players for the rest of the game. This was one of worst breakdowns in fundamental playing that I've seen.

And we may need to sit Svech for a game. Or have him see a psychiatrist to clear whatever is in his head.

Probably fair ... although he REALLY screwed up his angle on that first goal and I feel like that goal really got Tampa into it. Up until then they were roadkill. Raanta exploded out to cut down the target and got there in plenty of time ... but for some reason he pushed out like Stamkos was 10 feet left of where he actually was. Dude was literally standing there.

As bad as everything else got from that point on ... we've got a goaltending problem, and there's no single thing that can kill an NHL team (good team, bad team, doesn't matter) ass efficiently as bad goaltending. The three guys the Canes are counting on to just be a little above league average in net are sitting on a group save percentage of .872. Nobody can win like that.

And no, that game was not on Raanta. It was on everybody. Still, the goaltending is a problem.

We got outhit 18-4. Hitting isn’t the be all and end all, but only 4 hits?
Yeah, far be it from me to question the Canes stats geezers but that one straight up shocked me when I got home. I'll buy that the Canes got out-hit in that game, but 18-4 is WAY off. Jarvis had two obvious ones and I know Orlov threw a couple. That's at least four off the top of my head, and I'm supposed to believe that there were no other hits at all? Nah. Somebody dropped their clicker on that one.

That said, when Tampa turned up the physicality in the 2nd (and the diving ... cough, cough) Carolina's response was not sufficient.

Yeah, far be it from me to question the Canes stats geezers but that one straight up shocked me when I got home. I'll buy that the Canes got out-hit in that game, but 18-4 is WAY off. Jarvis had two obvious ones and I know Orlov threw a couple. That's at least four off the top of my head, and I'm supposed to believe that there were no other hits at all? Nah. Somebody dropped their clicker on that one.

That said, when Tampa turned up the physicality in the 2nd (and the diving ... cough, cough) Carolina's response was not sufficient.
Officially, Orlov had 2, Chatfield and Noesen had the others.

Raanta is NOT a #1 goalie. And as long as those his to ride him, they're toast. It's time to go goalie shopping.

Back