• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Rangers 3/23 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The sequel that also kicks off a 4 game homestand, all against playoff teams.

Theoretically, it’s Koochie’s game to start but RBA hedged a bit yesterday and talked about getting a goalie into a groove.

Red jerseys tonight. Bally Sports South for TV.

On the goalie thing, I'm here for any attempt to get one of these guys on a roll. Even when Raanta was on that weird results streak, I've never felt like either he or Freddie have every gotten settled this season. And Kochetkov has been all over the place, which makes sense given his experience level. Maybe it's time to go ahead and risk some injury exposure and settle on one guy to carry 90% of the load. SOMEBODY out of that group is going to need to get their mess together come the post season. I frankly don't care which one either.

On the goalie thing, I'm here for any attempt to get one of these guys on a roll. Even when Raanta was on that weird results streak, I've never felt like either he or Freddie have every gotten settled this season. And Kochetkov has been all over the place, which makes sense given his experience level. Maybe it's time to go ahead and risk some injury exposure and settle on one guy to carry 90% of the load. SOMEBODY out of that group is going to need to get their mess together come the post season. I frankly don't care which one either.
Amen! Freddie is our #1 and he needs to be played like he is. I'm not at all sold on Kochetkov being up to the challenge - I hope that changes over time, but I have my doubts - and Raanta is always one save away from getting injured. We have to do some serious re-thinking about goaltending for next season, but for now we've got to play the cards we were dealt.

Good points on Freddie getting the lion's share of the work down the stretch. Koochie can go against the non-playoff teams.

Amen! Freddie is our #1 and he needs to be played like he is. I'm not at all sold on Kochetkov being up to the challenge - I hope that changes over time, but I have my doubts - and Raanta is always one save away from getting injured. We have to do some serious re-thinking about goaltending for next season, but for now we've got to play the cards we were dealt.
This offseason was always set for a goalie shuffle, with both Andersen and Raanta out of contract. Freddie was terrific last season before getting hurt but has been stubbornly lukewarm this year. He might be back on another short deal, but I bet they shop around first. I can't see Raanta coming back.

This offseason was always set for a goalie shuffle, with both Andersen and Raanta out of contract. Freddie was terrific last season before getting hurt but has been stubbornly lukewarm this year. He might be back on another short deal, but I bet they shop around first. I can't see Raanta coming back.
I think next year Koochie gets that backup job and they shop hard for a new starter. I can honestly see Carolina kicking the tires on just about everyone out there in both free agency and via trade to go a different direction next year.

I think next year Koochie gets that backup job and they shop hard for a new starter. I can honestly see Carolina kicking the tires on just about everyone out there in both free agency and via trade to go a different direction next year.
That seems likely ... unless Freddie really kicks it into gear down the stretch and then has a strong showing in the playoffs. And that's not that big a stretch. He's certainly capable of that.

I definitely agree with this.

Barring Freddie dominating on the way to a Stanley Cup victory, I expect Kotchtkov will be the backup and we will consider every option for a 50 game starter that is out there.

UFA goalies? As of today that list not including Freddie and Raanta:

Jonathan Quick
Semyon Varlamov
Jonathan Bernier
Cam Talbot
Tristan Jarry
Alex Nedeljkovic
Laurent Brossoit
James Reimer
Adin Hill
Martin Jones
Jaro Halak
Craig Anderson
Joonas Korpisalo
Thomas Greiss
David Rittich
Brian Elliott

Not a lot of good options on that list. If we are approaching July 1 without a goalie locked down expect plenty of chatter about Varlamov and the Canes and plenty of pundits talking about the Canes trading for the likes of John Gibson or other goalies getting paid big money with lots of term left for subpar performance.

We definitely need to ramp up Freddie's workload in the next 3 weeks. Roddy definitely doesn't listen to me, but there are 12 regular season game left. I would start Freddie in 8 of those games

Tonight, Sunday, Tue Mar 28, Thr March 30, Sun Apr 2, Tue Apr 4, Sun Apr 8, Tue Apr 11. That would leave this Saturday (back to back), Sat Apr 1 (back to back), Thr Apr 6, and Mon Apr 10 (back to back) for Kochetkov and Raanta (if he is going to return).

Per Walt Ruff, Andersen was in the starter’s crease at the morning skate. No changes in front of him either.

I'm fine with a Freddie-Pyotr combo the next couple years. Don't see anyone on that shopping list that I'd prefer
Honestly, if he has a decent run down the stretch and stays healthy through the playoffs, this wouldn't surprise me in the least. This is an awful year for UFA goalies, so the trade market will be competitive ... which the Canes hate.

Back