• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Sens 10/11 7:00

Very poor decision by Orlov shooting that. PP in 3rd period with 2 goal lead? You better be getting pucks through

Roddy won’t like the defensive breakdowns and how many times Ottawa got clear looks but take the win and move on. I guess when your named Tkachuk you come out of the womb as an automatic douche bag.

Great crowd at the PNC last night and neat visuals with the LED towels. Despite the win, I thought the Sens controlled the flow of the game way too much and continually got behind our defense. I haven't seen the stats yet, but Orlov seemed to be the most victimized in this regard, but he wasn't alone. Freddie kept us in the game when he absolutely needed to and our PP went from good to crap, so Rod's got some work to do to get all the pieces working together. A long road trip will help make that happen.

To me, the nice thing was WHO scored. Turbo, Bunting, and Jordan! For different reasons, great to see them all score.

I know it won’t last but what a luxury to have all those defense. The whole crew was around 19 minutes and Chatfield with 15.

Yep, I jumped off the couch when Turbo scored that goal. Hopefully last season is well in his rear view mirror

Thoughts ...

Pretty good start. Ottawa has been a tough one for the Canes over the last couple of years for whatever reason, but they put the boot in them pretty good aside from that weird 2 goal mini-flurry in the 3rd. I think there's a lot of chemistry yet to develop for the additions and maybe a couple of camp ideas won't really prove to work ... or will get better with time. Game 1, in other words.

Good Stuff ... good to see goals from both of the wingers who could lose ice time when Svech comes back. I thought PP1 looked real sharp. DeAngelo and Burns actually work together in that setting. Double shifting limited the looks, but the 4th line was real good in light duty.

Not so good stuff ... not sold that DeAngelo and Orlov can work together, also DeAngelo might have actually gotten dumber in Philly. Chris Rooney had a rough, rough night. Not at ALL sure what he was seeing out there. As always, the PK looked like it needed work. They always get there in the end, but had way too many spacing problems last night. If you're gonna go 7 D, you've GOT to get the 7th guy on the ice more. Playing that guy 4 minutes just doesn't make up for having to juggle forwards all game to get 4th line shifts. It just doesn't. As always (and probably forever) 11/7 sucks.

I was wondering. It’s a new year, fresh start. Does Jordo feel like it’s going to be more of the same in terms of his finishing ability? Or does he think maybe this is the year he’s going to find his scoring touch and light up the goal lights.

Makes sense that Orlov would take some time getting used to the system and our forwards getting used to playing with him and knowing what he’s doing/going to do. Slavin got burned on a pinch too so thinking maybe they added some new wrinkles or likely just rusty on how they’re covering for each other.

Back