• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT | Game 2 | @ Bruins | Thursday, October 10th | 7:00PM EST

Both of your answers don't answer my question: What makes anyone certain St. Louis's a good coach?

Having charisma and leadership are nice to have, but these aren't rare traits that are impossible to find.

The young players have developed since he's gotten here, that's true. But is that thanks to him or is it natural progression? And if it is thanks to him, is he to blame for Barron/Primeau's stagnation (and to an extent, Xhekaj)? If it is thanks to him, how much is it thanks to him? How much is it thanks to Adam Nichols? How much is it thanks to [insert reason here]? None of this is quantifiable; it's purely conjecture, unless all you care about is the final result.

I don't particularly care for intangibles as a metric. Saying he's a good coach because of leadership really means nothing. Nobody actually knows if his leadership actually makes him a good coach.

What I can quantify, however, is how the team plays on the ice. In my opinion, Torts / Laviolette / Trotz have been the three best coaches in the last twenty years or so in the NHL. I know that year in and year out, they squeezed every single drop of juice they could get out of their teams and that's my #1 indicator if a coach is good or not. If you look at Philly's team last year, their team was worse than ours, but they came within a point of making the playoffs on the last day of the season. They played hard.

When this team eventually turns the corner, I would be shocked if St Louis was the guy we count on. I wonder if Jim Montgomery will still be employed by Bawstun by then...
Would Hutson be getting same TOI / free reign w above traditional coaches?

Would Hutson be getting same TOI / free reign w above traditional coaches?
Therrien would have him nailed to the bench or in the press box. Way too "h'individualistic" for his taste. He wanted all his defensemen to play the same, paint by numbers style he and Bergevin played.

Highly doubtful
Therrien would have him nailed to the bench or in the press box. Way too "h'individualistic" for his taste. He wanted all his defensemen to play the same, paint by numbers style he and Bergevin played.
Hence, when the question is asked “What makes anyone certain St. Louis's a good coach?”

I would propose Hutson is the answer to yes he is the right & good coach for the philosophy of the program HuGo are building & moreover Hughes & MSL think identically along hockey philosophy lines - which is very rare…

At the end of the day for any success to be had by an org GM & coach need to be philosophically aligned.

Fans can mock all they wish, but you see the dominant elite youth programs & style of play w Boston Jr Eagles and MidFairfield and both were very heavily influenced by Hughes & MSL respectively

If only there was a way to check if a coach like Tortz would give ice time to young, talented, but possibly risky rookies taking their first steps in North American pro hockey---

1728834994502.png

...Oh.

If only there was a way to check if a coach like Tortz would give ice time to young, talented, but possibly risky rookies taking their first steps in North American pro hockey---

View attachment 22319

...Oh.
Is that a consistent pattern? Some said Michkov was better than Bedard. Not surprised he is playing him lots.

Well, it's only been 3 games for Hutson & 2 for Michkov, so it's not posisble to make patterns yet. We'll see what their usage looks like in a few months.

Two years prior to the Bedard draft, Bedard & Michkov were neck to neck. If there wasn't the Russian-Ukraine war, there's no way of knowing how Michkov would have been seen because Russia was excluded from all international tournaments.

This is backed with 0 evidence. Subban won his Norris under Therrien’s first season in his second run.

He started Galchenyuk and Gallagher in their rookie years and gave them plenty of ice time

This is backed with 0 evidence. Subban won his Norris under Therrien’s first season in his second run.

He started Galchenyuk and Gallagher in their rookie years and gave them plenty of ice time
once Wehave gets an idea in his head, nothing will change his mind.

It’s obvious that St. Louis is a good coach. He’s just not trying to do it all at once. Last year, for example cold Caulfield was expected to work on his defense. It seems that St. Louis philosophy is build the player build the culture and then build the tactics. Since he’s taken over the power play, it looks a lot better this year. I think he’s just fucking being reasonable and not trying to do everything at once.

Learning and growth as a group upon picking something and focussing on it and in the first two years of his rain, he knew he didn’t have to win so let’s build a culture and build a player before we get too specific about our tactics and worry about outcomes.

I was struck that he spent one on one practice time last year with Ylonen on how to secure possession along the boards. It was a test Ylonen’s attention to detail and commitment to battle for possession.

And we know the result if all that. Ylonen was given ample opportunity. This is what the team needs.

I was struck that he spent one on one practice time last year with Ylonen on how to secure possession along the boards. It was a test Ylonen’s attention to detail and commitment to battle for possession.

And we know the result if all that. Ylonen was given ample opportunity. This is what the team needs.
EXACTLY. You can't coach all until you can coach one. He's still finding the team and building the players, then he's taking over the powerplay. Fundamentals first. Tactics next. The fucking hockey canada coaching pyramid goes that way too. He's coaching them from the ground up.

Well, it's only been 3 games for Hutson & 2 for Michkov, so it's not posisble to make patterns yet. We'll see what their usage looks like in a few months.

Two years prior to the Bedard draft, Bedard & Michkov were neck to neck. If there wasn't the Russian-Ukraine war, there's no way of knowing how Michkov would have been seen because Russia was excluded from all international tournaments.
I meant in terms of his treatment of rookies during his coaching career.

Back