• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT | Game 2 | @ Bruins | Thursday, October 10th | 7:00PM EST

4 stinkers out of 6. Montembeault wins that game. I would seriously give Dobes a shot if Primeau has just one more putrid game like that. We put up 4 on Swayman only to have Primeau give it back immediately on weak goals. Was really frustrating to watch.

I doubt they waive primeau after the 3 headed monster last year.

But this is probably a make or break year for him

The 6th goal is what 7 & 8 year olds give up, cannot give up such a goal at NHL, especially is that situation with his team surging to tie it

Awful exhibition of goaltending

that's not fair to most 7 and 8 years olds

He doesn't panic the same as 72 and 52. He has been caught up the ice a bit but his passing is sublime and his IQ off the charts.

He and Guhle were a decent pair last night.

This is a poorly coached team. When you lack talent you need to play a system. There's no system. Marty can take his "process" and shove it up his ass. I'm done with him. They needed to give him a mentor instead of garbage assistants.

As much as Montembeault stole last night Primeau gave this one away. As the goalie goes so will the Habs. Yet again.
This is a question I've asked here since St. Louis has been hired:

What, exactly, makes anyone certain that St. Louis's a good coach?

the fact he willingly took a job knowing he was going to lose for years gives him a bit of a pass for me, he is competitive as hell and knows he's going to lose.

I get we need "structure" but I have seen that with Martin, Vigneault, Therrien to a lesser extent, Dauterive and they all ended up badly

This is a question I've asked here since St. Louis has been hired:

What, exactly, makes anyone certain that St. Louis's a good coach?
Individually, a significant amount of players have improved their game under his tutelage. But collectively, much less so.

I like to think it’s possible to have both, but we need to get some seasoned tactician on his team.

Both of your answers don't answer my question: What makes anyone certain St. Louis's a good coach?

Having charisma and leadership are nice to have, but these aren't rare traits that are impossible to find.

The young players have developed since he's gotten here, that's true. But is that thanks to him or is it natural progression? And if it is thanks to him, is he to blame for Barron/Primeau's stagnation (and to an extent, Xhekaj)? If it is thanks to him, how much is it thanks to him? How much is it thanks to Adam Nichols? How much is it thanks to [insert reason here]? None of this is quantifiable; it's purely conjecture, unless all you care about is the final result.

I don't particularly care for intangibles as a metric. Saying he's a good coach because of leadership really means nothing. Nobody actually knows if his leadership actually makes him a good coach.

What I can quantify, however, is how the team plays on the ice. In my opinion, Torts / Laviolette / Trotz have been the three best coaches in the last twenty years or so in the NHL. I know that year in and year out, they squeezed every single drop of juice they could get out of their teams and that's my #1 indicator if a coach is good or not. If you look at Philly's team last year, their team was worse than ours, but they came within a point of making the playoffs on the last day of the season. They played hard.

When this team eventually turns the corner, I would be shocked if St Louis was the guy we count on. I wonder if Jim Montgomery will still be employed by Bawstun by then...

Both of your answers don't answer my question: What makes anyone certain St. Louis's a good coach?

Having charisma and leadership are nice to have, but these aren't rare traits that are impossible to find.

The young players have developed since he's gotten here, that's true. But is that thanks to him or is it natural progression? And if it is thanks to him, is he to blame for Barron/Primeau's stagnation (and to an extent, Xhekaj)? If it is thanks to him, how much is it thanks to him? How much is it thanks to Adam Nichols? How much is it thanks to [insert reason here]? None of this is quantifiable; it's purely conjecture, unless all you care about is the final result.

I don't particularly care for intangibles as a metric. Saying he's a good coach because of leadership really means nothing. Nobody actually knows if his leadership actually makes him a good coach.

What I can quantify, however, is how the team plays on the ice. In my opinion, Torts / Laviolette / Trotz have been the three best coaches in the last twenty years or so in the NHL. I know that year in and year out, they squeezed every single drop of juice they could get out of their teams and that's my #1 indicator if a coach is good or not. If you look at Philly's team last year, their team was worse than ours, but they came within a point of making the playoffs on the last day of the season. They played hard.

When this team eventually turns the corner, I would be shocked if St Louis was the guy we count on. I wonder if Jim Montgomery will still be employed by Bawstun by then...
MSL is more in the mold of Cooper than traditional old school coaches in bold

As for development Slaf was reported he would’ve been jettisoned to AHL last year by HuGo if not for MSL wanting to work individually with him in a Habs uni convinced he could fast track his game vs Laval.

MSL is an experiment. Always has been.

There is no certainly he’ll be a good coach. But we had the luxury of time so not much to lose.

In his defense, he hasn’t been trying to win games since he got hired, he was more focused on the “process”. So squeezing every once of this team wasn’t even on the table, and I’m not quite sure if it is this year either even though they’ve been more vocal about it.

But besides effort, there is the strategies, mental game and execution. I’ve seen flashes of more creativity in the offensive zone but with generally poor execution. Defensive zone is still a mess both in coverage and execution. Special teams are bad. That’s all on the coach.

In his defense, he hasn’t been trying to win games since he got hired, he was more focused on the “process”. So squeezing every once of this team wasn’t even on the table, and I’m not quite sure if it is this year either even though they’ve been more vocal about it.

But besides effort, there is the strategies, mental game and execution. I’ve seen flashes of more creativity in the offensive zone but with generally poor execution. Defensive zone is still a mess both in coverage and execution. Special teams are bad. That’s all on the coach.
Is it on the coach team has lacked a legit PP QB till now? There’s a reason this org went from top-5/10 PP for years to bottom-8 upon Markov’s departure

IF MSL refuses to install Hutson as QB this season then there’s legit basis for the whining IMO

Side note: Fox only took over NYR PP in his sophomore season while playing 2nd unit his rookie year….Gorton just happened to be GM at the time…

Back