• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Hurricanes vs Avalanche, 11/17, 7PM

Shane that’s BS. We didn’t outplay them. It’s a loss. They take too many low chance shots and they control the puck without being dangerous with the puck.

Colorado consistently dangerous with the puck.
Colorado had 3-4 high danger chances all game ... including power plays. Carolina kicked their butt all over the ice and lost because they couldn't score ... again. You can call that BS all you want, but you absolutely CAN dominate a game and lose it. Happens all the time.

Didn’t see that we dominated. They had a lead and we were content to dominate possession along the boards and take low percentage shots. They didn’t give us space inside and we didn’t take it/make it. How many shots did we take with nobody in front. Look at their shots. Almost always someone in front with a loose stick.

we like stuff chances on the post and try to jam it through the goalie and passing into the melee in front hoping for a bounce. We stood still on power plays and passed around the perimeter.

They didn’t contest our doing things that had a low probability of scoring and I feel like we were happy to do those things.

Kotkaniemi isn't a second line center. I was all for giving him the chance but it isn't working.

The team is unbalanced or how I should put it and that is a part of the problem.

Last edited:
Didn’t see that we dominated. They had a lead and we were content to dominate possession along the boards and take low percentage shots. They didn’t give us space inside and we didn’t take it/make it. How many shots did we take with nobody in front. Look at their shots. Almost always someone in front with a loose stick.

we like stuff chances on the post and try to jam it through the goalie and passing into the melee in front hoping for a bounce. We stood still on power plays and passed around the perimeter.

They didn’t contest our doing things that had a low probability of scoring and I feel like we were happy to do those things.
Again ... your observations don't match what I saw with my own eyes or what the stats say if you get any deeper than the surface. Yeah, the result sucked on toast and that's what actually matters. But I feel like an accurate assessment of what happened matters too. They not only out-shot Colorado last night, the Hurricanes wildly out-chanced them and also generated significantly more high danger chances. They did NOT just fling pucks aimlessly at the net. They drove the net, got the the high danger areas, generated traffic and did the stuff that's required in this league ... but they did not finish. It's been a problem all year.

And to somebody else's point, yes. Kotkaniemi is playing fairly well, but is contributing to the bluntness of the offensive attack. Not sure what you do about it in the short term, but it's an issue.

On the pod JudgeWapner and I had the same conclusion after the last Avs game - the Canes net front presence is too stagnant; they get low and then just kind of sit and react, very passive. Watch the Avs PP, I likened it to the 3 second rule in basketball - they get in, setup, then move; it's constant. If the Canes put as much effort into moving around down low as they do cycling up high from the outside, they'd be at 25% PP.

Kotkaniemi isn't a second line center. I was all for giving him the chance but it isn't working.

The team is unbalanced or how I should put it and that is a part of the problem.
I agree that Kotkaniemi is not a second line center. He has to produce. A second line center needs to produce at least 50 points. I’m convinced they need to go into another direction if they want to be in cup contention. Maybe in 2-3 years he’ll produce, but this team’s window is closing soon. Who should they get? I have no idea, but KK is not the answer.

On the pod JudgeWapner and I had the same conclusion after the last Avs game - the Canes net front presence is too stagnant; they get low and then just kind of sit and react, very passive. Watch the Avs PP, I likened it to the 3 second rule in basketball - they get in, setup, then move; it's constant. If the Canes put as much effort into moving around down low as they do cycling up high from the outside, they'd be at 25% PP.
IMO it comes and goes for Carolina. The two PPs they had in the 1st period were indeed quite stangnuts, but then the PP they had in the 2nd was hot fire with plenty of shifting, puck movement and good looks. I think my bigger frustration with the power play has been the lack of consistency in the first unit ... along with the lack of anything whatsoever from the 2nd unit. It's not like they don't know what to do, because when they go out and execute they look terrific.

This team really misses Trocheck and Nino
I think they miss Trocheck, but I'm not sure he was the right fit either. He was streaky as all get out, not that great defensively and played center in very direct way that doesn't really suit Svech and Necas ... who would have been his primary linemates this year. Honestly, I thought they needed a change at 2C regardless. Maybe Kotkaniemi isn't the answer, but I'm not convinced Tro was either. IMO they miss him on special teams most.

Big picture, they're still badly missing a guy with a big shot. Nino gave you some of that, but not consistently. Patches will help a lot, I think.

Just dwind being dwind 👋.... too many pucks (& fists) to the head back in the day :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Is Kinetico Bill still doin' his thing in the KHL? Don't even remember anymore.
Kinetico Bill was fired about a year ago. As far as I can tell, he’s unemployed.

IMO it comes and goes for Carolina. The two PPs they had in the 1st period were indeed quite stangnuts, but then the PP they had in the 2nd was hot fire with plenty of shifting, puck movement and good looks. I think my bigger frustration with the power play has been the lack of consistency in the first unit ... along with the lack of anything whatsoever from the 2nd unit. It's not like they don't know what to do, because when they go out and execute they look terrific.
true, I feel they know what they should be doing but they get out there and just start pitching tents. My old music director had a bigass sign that read "Practice does not make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect"

On the plus side, the canes PP is like sex Panther: 60% of the time, it works every time (just drop the zero off of that 6).
;)

Back