• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Preseason Mega Thread cuz why not

I'm not kidding, check the numbers. The difference between Matthews taking those draws and Tavares is about 8 additional won draws all season on the PP. It's beyond negligible. His lack of foot speed causes more turnovers on the entry than he ever gets back with his board work.

Yeah, his speed is the #1 reason I have him circled to come off PP1. I'd also be fascinated to see three shooting threats like Matthews, Nylander & Robertson all out there on the ice together.

We've seen so many Leaf power-plays where it's a static set-up geared entirely towards getting Mitch onto the side-boards with an open cross-crease lane to Auston. But if there's three guys out there that can flat-out beat a goalie from distance, that gives you to opportunity to have a lot of movement and be a lot less predictable.

If there is one circumstance that Tavares should never see the ice, it's 3v3 OT.

Tavares is still great around the net on the PP, but man is he bad on that dumbass guy Boucher entry.

Haven’t watched too much preseason but hope they don’t do that every single time anymore.

Disagree, but Tavares probably isn't good enough to be on PP1 anymore.

View attachment 22174

The idea of replacing either Marner or Rielly is kind of crazy. Moving Auston or Willy to net front and Robbie for Tavares is probably out best PP1. It adds another shooter who is mobile and Tavares was terrible at converting high danger chances last year. Maybe that was fluke, maybe that was skill erosion. If that HD SH% doesn't improve in the first 20 games, we've gotta get him off of that unit.

Not a fan of putting either of those as the net front. Yes, Matthews would be good at it - but think he does a lot more damage and make things harder on defenders with everything he brings from what he does today (his shot, passing, ability to get the puck back, making 1-2 defenders worry about him). Also, save him from taking punishment in front of the net - keep him healthier.

Also, wish Matthews would be more a rover and move around the zone more with everyone else on the PP reacting to him to create spacing - cause he’s dangerous from everywhere and that would fuck the PK up to try and track him. Take away the predictability of our PP.

Having two pass-forward guys that both aren’t as much a threat to shoot, standing 15-20 feet apart - just haven’t liked this when every playoff run we see the same thing. Take away passing paths to the other three (and funnel the put to JT when we try to get into the zone) - and it’s a shitty looking PP. JT was great for 6-4 though.

Have no issue with going between 44 and 16 (whichever is running hotter). Maybe yet another PP coach can try to change these two to do more - but I am putting it on the players and they won’t change who they are on the PP. Seen the same things for too long with a variety of coaches. Other option is giving time to OEL instead and see what he can bring.

Liked idea of McMann to get someone with speed that can win puck battles, can accept a pass with speed, has a shot that can beat a goalie, and is a big guy that can cause problems. If the PK stands up at the line, he can get deep and win the puck - something missing.

Seeing Robertson and Nylander on the flanks. Matthews the second guy high (and he can move around to a flank, down low etc depending on who has the puck), 16 or 44 on the blue line to QB and then a net front guy. McMann is someone I want to see do this. Matthews can do so many things - get sad watching him just stay in his spot. Give him the option to tip picks, one timer, slap pass to score, flat out beat a goalie with that writer and from the centre of the ice to give him any corner to pick, go for a rebound and hound a puck etc from that position. Robertson and Nylander could use the goalie to move fully from one side to the other to score. Matthews doesn’t even need that and this gives him use of more tools. And being in no man’s land for the PK will open up lanes for the other guys to pass the puck.

Last edited:
Yeah, his speed is the #1 reason I have him circled to come off PP1. I'd also be fascinated to see three shooting threats like Matthews, Nylander & Robertson all out there on the ice together.

We've seen so many Leaf power-plays where it's a static set-up geared entirely towards getting Mitch onto the side-boards with an open cross-crease lane to Auston. But if there's three guys out there that can flat-out beat a goalie from distance, that gives you to opportunity to have a lot of movement and be a lot less predictable.
Mo and Rielly already give our PP two pop-gun shooters. No issues having three legit ones. Although JT prolly counts as a ‘shooter’ still. Would just be nice if he could keep upp

Stolarz is great in interviews too. And not in a quirky weird goalie way, but in a big (and man he's big) confident charismatic engaging way.

Just swap stol'n'woll every game and keep them both comfy and healthy.

We might finally have the kind of goalie combo i've been begging for since the cap was introduced.

Back