• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT - Revenge of Maurice! Leafs @ Jets | 7PM EST CBC

As opposed to girardi's steady growth from a 40 point all star to a 20 point guy that his team doesn't want to resign?

It's not about points with defensmen though, hell Phaneuf has gone from a 60 point guy to a 30-40 point one and he's an all around workhorse now. Just out curiousty though where did u hear the Rangers don't want to re-up him?

The crappy Jets win again. This time 3-1 in Chicago. Terrible team. Period.

I don't get how they're terrible, terrible would be a team like Calgary or Edmonton. The Jets have improved drastically since Maurice took over, the big thing holding them back though is goaltending.

Yea the most I'd throw at him his a 5 year/25M deal and hope he accepts it. A defense of Phaneuf/Girardi, Gunnarsson/Rielly, Gleason/Gardiner looks like a pretty stacked and balanced one to me.

Still waiting for an example of a top-tier UFA d-man giving his new team a 'discount'...

And yeah, Girardi is Komisarek 2.0... after him, Armstrong, and Clarkson you'd think we'd learn our lesson...

Still waiting for an example of a top-tier UFA d-man giving his new team a 'discount'...

And yeah, Girardi is Komisarek 2.0... after him, Armstrong, and Clarkson you'd think we'd learn our lesson...

Carl Gunarsson (signed by the Leafs July 22nd 2013) to a 3 year deal/9.45M and I'm still browsing through prior signings to find more examples.

Girardi is crap, a creation of having a perennial Vezina candidate in net behind him. Amazing that he's "struggling" the same season Henrik is, right?

Carl Gunarsson (signed by the Leafs July 22nd 2013) to a 3 year deal/9.45M and I'm still browsing through prior signings to find more examples.

You're not going to find more examples, because there are none. You're currently batting 0 for 3. I encourage you to keep trying though.

And Gunnarsson, again, was not a UFA. Nor can he be considered 'top-tier'.

You can admit you were wrong y'know.

If you're going to acquire a top of the market UFA d-man, you're going to pay a premium. Period. And Dan Girardi is not worth it, at all.

We need an improvement on defense. I dont really care who it is.

People were shitting on Gleason before he came here, so i wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Sports are an interesting beast alltogether. Health and chemistry play a big part in a teams ability to win. Who is here to say that Dan Girardi can't come here and find some really good chemistry with Phaneuf and form a really good top pairing? He could also bust, dont get me wrong.

Some of the know-it-alls on this forum need to stop preaching like they know everything.

BUT if we did end up signing Girardi, you bet your ass i will be cheering for the guy to be a stud defender.

With Clarkson sucking the bag at the moment, who is to say that come playoff time he doesnt come up with some heroics? GWG in game 7 or some nonsense. All of a sudden this entire regular season becomes a wash.

A lot of our defensive problems are on the wings. Our blueline can be sketchy at times, but that's part and parcel to playing a bunch of young guys known for their puck skills.

But why is Clarkson suddenly going to be a different player in the playoffs? He wasn't for the Devils.

That is the exact problem with these contracts. You are expecting these guys to be something they are not. And paying the price for those expectations. Then everyone turns on the player because they can't live up to expectations that never should have been placed on them.

Girardi could help this team for sure. But not for the money he'll get. And he won't magically become a player that deserves that kind of money once you give it to him.

A lot of our defensive problems are on the wings. Our blueline can be sketchy at times, but that's part and parcel to playing a bunch of young guys known for their puck skills.

They need to replace Franson with someone who can actually play defense. Moving Fraser/Ranger out of the lineup for a real dman like Gleason was step one. Still need that second real dman.

^^^ +1

Another Gleason would be nice. If we had him in our last playoff series against Boston, the mother'fer wouldve blocked that tying goal.

Come to think of it, Beauchemin would be a solid fit here. Or the Beauchemin of last season atleast, not the guy we had a few years back with Ron Wilson.

I honestly think Girardi would be a good fit here with Carlyle style.

Back