• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

But... But... But... I kept hearing the same people over tell me over and over that despite having years and mountains of evidence that giving out term and money to players in their late 20s / early 30s wasn't a good idea, there was no way of proving that those contracts were going to be bad.

Boy, those chickens have come home to roost, haven't they? Now we're stuck.

Petry was the only one that may have aged well , even though he should of been moved

Didn’t expect him to fall of the cliff after 4 solid years in a row , maybe year 4 would of been horrible

I think it’s more of that he is fed up and needs a change and bounce back elsewhere

The other 2 were guaranteed disasters 5 minutes after the ink dried

That's a minuscule part of it. It's actually, quite literally, the least of our problems.

Money's a small component of it. Sure, we could put Price on LTIR for the duration of his contract, assuming he agrees to it. But Petry/Gallagher aren't injured, they're going to be part of the team for as long as they're here.

It's the fact that our rebuild would have been over by now if we had traded them for futures. Every single one of them - Price, Petry, Gallagher, Armia - would have fetched us a superb return had we traded them before we gave them those hideous deals.

It's also the fact that this franchise would be better off right now... If we had let them go for nothing. We would not be trying to figure out ways to get rid of them.

And you could put every single one of the long-term contracts on LTIR, we'd still be stuck. We'll have money... to spend on more players that are in their late 20s and early 30s that will put us in caphell. The exact type of players that we're trying to get rid of. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

The money is important to have to re-sign our players. The reason why we're so fucked now is that we've quite literally signed all of our talented young player---- By all, I mean Nick Suzuki. There's nobody else that has a pressing need to get signed.

I'm not sure most here realize how deep this puddle of shit that we've stepped in is. This isn't going to be a one or two year fix, it's going to take at least 5 to fix this fucking mess.
but if we did that we would still have MB

so..... not sure which is worse

They need to salvage what they can for Petry ASAP.
Slow and steady.. there will be plenty of takers

Scouts quote says it all:

‘Still effective at driving play. Can still skate, competes well. Relatively durable. Offense can be dependent on teammates. They haven’t scored much this season, but all signs point to the same guy not scoring in the traditional sense, but still very much positively contributing to this team.’

Petry has never had a major injury that has effected his bread & butter …. skating.

I’m sure when Gorton let GMs around the league know of Petry’s availability last month, the price tag was quite high. Opposing GMs / orgs are simply leaking info to try and drive down the price / artificially stagnate it

Some GM will cave, it’s inevitable, there are too many so called contenders whose teams have underperformed in the playoffs year in year out … this season is make or break for the teams and their GMs

And all of them have the exact same glaring weaknesses - weak top-4 D and mediocre G

Last edited:
Slow and steady.. there will be plenty of takers

Scouts quote says it all:

Petry has never had a major injury that has effected his bread & butter …. skating.

I’m sure when Gorton let GMs around the league know of Petry’s availability last month, the price tag was quite high. Opposing GMs / orgs are simply leaking info to try and drive down the price / artificially stagnate it

Some GM will cave, it’s inevitable, there are too many so called contenders whose teams have underperformed in the playoffs year in year out … this season is make or break for the teams and their GMs

And all of them have the exact same glaring weaknesses - weak top-4 D and mediocre G

Plus a RHD

A decent trade should be available , maybe a summer heavy lifting move when more suitors and caps are reset

The report is that, if Dallas trades Klingberg, they would then want to get Petry. Okay, cool.

Klingberg is $4.25M
Sekera is $1.5M
Total $5.75M

Petry's caphit is $6.25M, so a difference in $500k.

They have +/- $2M capspace, so it would be doable.

And if we can sweeten the deal by holding on to a portion of Petry's contract to make Dallas more interested in giving up Bourque...

Another prospect Dallas has that I like a lot that is stuck due to the numbers game there is Ty Dellandrea. He's never going to get real ice time there until next year because he'll always be behind Seguin-Pavelski-Faksa. And if they re-sign Pavelski, I don't think there's a real path to the NHL without transitioning him to wing, if they haven't already.

LeBrun says the Stars are a potential landing spot.
Gotta think the great Jim Nill is toast if Stars don’t make playoffs - that’d be what 6-in-9 seasons as GM the Stars they’d miss the playoffs?

I could definitely see Nill say f*ck it, and attempt a “career saving deal”.

It's not a career-saving move, really. You just have to look at the construct of the roster. It's win now or win never.

Radulov & Pavelski are Pending UFAs, they might be gone. And even if they come back, they're both nearing retirement age. Benn & Seguin are locked long-term, but are both on a noticeable decline. I dunno, but giving out those long-term big money contract to players in their late 20s / early 30s, ahh what do I know...

Dallas has middle of the pack prospect depth without a single one of them being a future star, probably.

The report is that, if Dallas trades Klingberg, they would then want to get Petry. Okay, cool.

Klingberg is $4.25M
Sekera is $1.5M
Total $5.75M

Petry's caphit is $6.25M, so a difference in $500k.

They have +/- $2M capspace, so it would be doable.

And if we can sweeten the deal by holding on to a portion of Petry's contract to make Dallas more interested in giving up Bourque...

As long as we flip Kilngberg somewhere else

Want no part of another future albatross deal on this team

Would rather flip Petry in another deal where we still get a good prospect but give us at least 1 D who has a year left to work with before teams transitions Guhle.

Our D is atrocious

Last edited:
It's not a career-saving move, really. You just have to look at the construct of the roster. It's win now or win never.

Radulov & Pavelski are Pending UFAs, they might be gone. And even if they come back, they're both nearing retirement age. Benn & Seguin are locked long-term, but are both on a noticeable decline. I dunno, but giving out those long-term big money contract to players in their late 20s / early 30s, ahh what do I know...

Dallas has middle of the pack prospect depth without a single one of them being a future star, probably.
Correction , Ben is finished

Gotta think the great Jim Nill is toast if Stars don’t make playoffs - that’d be what 6-in-9 seasons as GM the Stars they’d miss the playoffs?

I could definitely see Nill say f*ck it, and attempt a “career saving deal”.

This is what Nero kept doing , not going to work for Nill

But hey keep trying like the Flyers or Dallas

Another prospect Dallas has that I like a lot that is stuck due to the numbers game there is Ty Dellandrea. He's never going to get real ice time there until next year because he'll always be behind Seguin-Pavelski-Faksa. And if they re-sign Pavelski, I don't think there's a real path to the NHL without transitioning him to wing, if they haven't already.
Yup , even if he isn’t top 6

Young enough to work with us for years

As long as we flip Kilngberg somewhere else

Want no part of another future albatross deal on this team

Would rather flip Petry in another deal where we still get a good prospect but give us at least 1 D who has a year left to work with before teams transitions Guhle.

Our D is atrocious
The only way I see it work is on a 3 ways trade.

Back