• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Cool fact: I still don't know if St. Louis's an actual head coach or just a good motivator.

It's great that he's able to get players who want to play hard for him, no biggie. Is he and his staff able to do actual in-game adjustments and manage to actually, you know, coach?

Cool fact: I still don't know if St. Louis's an actual head coach or just a good motivator.

It's great that he's able to get players who want to play hard for him, no biggie. Is he and his staff able to do actual in-game adjustments and manage to actually, you know, coach?
I’m curious to watch how MSL handles being the bad cop… that will inevitably materialize at some point in time

If you listen to the interview Robidas is very grateful to Therrien “who brought me up and gave me a chance in the NHL, after 3-years playing for him in AHL”..

BTW - Robidas also mentions he’s not friends with MSL, they only played vs each other in AHL & NHL

I’m curious who recommended Robidas to MSL?

Is this a real question?

Everyone can learn and grow from an experienced mentor/teammate/colleague. You can learn from your own mistakes, but you can also learn from the mistakes of others and save some time and results doing so.

It doesn't have to be an actual behind the bench coach, an experienced coaching consultant would do as well.
It is a serious question. I see no reason why having a re tread coach on staff is needed. In fact I see it as a negative.

I guess we value experience quite differently. I don't understand why you would assume that the presence of an experience coach would prevent any forward thinking, or that this experience wouldn't be beneficial in shaping up new ideas.

I'm not necessarily looking for a retread, per se.

I'd be content with, I dunno, someone who actually coached at minimum Junior level.

Again, nobody here knows if St. Louis or Robidas are good coaches. Anyone claiming to know is just outright lying.

Shit, get Louis Robitaille from Gatineau. Former d-man, been a coach in the Q for a decade.

I'm not necessarily looking for a retread, per se.

I'd be content with, I dunno, someone who actually coached at minimum Junior level.

Again, nobody here knows if St. Louis or Robidas are good coaches. Anyone claiming to know is just outright lying.

Shit, get Louis Robitaille from Gatineau. Former d-man, been a coach in the Q for a decade.

Bring back Ducharme

I guess we value experience quite differently. I don't understand why you would assume that the presence of an experience coach would prevent any forward thinking, or that this experience wouldn't be beneficial in shaping up new ideas.
Not all experience is equal or valuable. If we're talking about the kind of experience as exhibited by Therrien in that video clip ("Grind da puck", "f-bomb" "rispeck", etc.) then we can live without it.

Canadiens complete their amateur scouting staff

The Florida Panthers owned the 23rd overall pick at the 2016 draft, but they had a scout who wanted his team to do everything possible to get the 14th overall pick. There was a player who was still available and was expected to go around that range. According to a league source, the scout felt it was worth “trading the house” to go get.

That player was Charlie McAvoy. That scout was Billy Ryan.

“Really progressive mind,” the source said. “Fights for his guys in a good, outspoken way. Makes huge, bold bets that turn out right more than wrong.”

As the 2023 draft cycle kicks off with the Hlinka Gretzky Cup in Alberta, the Canadiens quietly hired Ryan last week as its new Director of Player Evaluation, a role that will see Ryan not only handle amateur scouting in the United States, but also work with Rob Ramage’s development group in keeping an eye on players already drafted by the Canadiens.

Ryan has been an amateur scout for the Panthers since 2015. Among his highlights, we’re told, he ran the Panthers draft while they were going through significant changes in the front office in 2020, just before Shane Churla was named director of amateur scouting, a year when they drafted Anton Lundell at 12th overall and a certain Emil Heineman at 43rd overall, a player the Canadiens acquired in the Tyler Toffoli trade.

Ryan has been based in Boston for years and is very familiar to Jeff Gorton, Kent Hughes and Nick Bobrov as a result. He and the newly hired Albie O’Connell, formerly the head coach at Boston University, will be in charge of amateur scouting for the Canadiens in the United States.

We’re told that this completes the Canadiens amateur scouting staff for next season, at least in terms of full-time staff. All the existing amateur scouts are returning. In an ideal world, the Canadiens would like to add part-time scouts in Minnesota and British Columbia, but we’re told they are happy with the full-time staff in place.

Back