• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Training Camp Thread

Bear doesn’t move the needle for me, I hope he’s the odd man out because Chatfield is a fine seventh defenseman with a lot more physical play to his game than Bear.

Wolves camp opens tomorrow and the Canes have a home game against the Jackets and then at the Slugs on Tuesday. It wouldn’t surprise me to see some cuts today.

I don’t see Stepan making the team this year— solid hockey IQ, reads the game, good hands but the skates are slow. Maybe as a call up? Maybe behind the bench? In the press box?

I don’t see Stepan making the team this year— solid hockey IQ, reads the game, good hands but the skates are slow. Maybe as a call up? Maybe behind the bench? In the press box?
I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 13th forward again, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see that role go to someone who can keep up.

Canes put William Lagesson on waivers today, so it looks like the next round of cuts will be on Monday, with a bunch of them going down with him.

Edit: nope, looks like the cuts are happening now. Ronan Seeley was sent down.

Last edited:
I think Bear is the odd man out, and in the forward group, I like Stepan, but he's not an upgrade so I could go either way.

The Canes signed Grigori Dronov off his PTO. He gets a 1 year/2 way contract/$750k/$70k
Interesting ... according to Cap Friendly he's waivers exempt, which for some reason I wasn't expecting. They really are just filling a giant sack with defensemen.

Maybe not the best placement for this message right now but if any of you fine folks in here that did buy extras for the Stadium Series game decide to resell extras, please let me know. I trust some of you folks in here a helluva lot more than some of the resale markets. Looking for at least two for the outdoor game for my son and I to go, preferably not in the nosebleeds section.

Maybe not the best placement for this message right now but if any of you fine folks in here that did buy extras for the Stadium Series game decide to resell extras, please let me know. I trust some of you folks in here a helluva lot more than some of the resale markets. Looking for at least two for the outdoor game for my son and I to go, preferably not in the nosebleeds section.
I may have some extras to resell, which I would happily do with friends and Canes fans on this board at what I paid for them. As of now, I may have four extras in section 5, row FF or GG for which (including all fees) I paid $262.62 each. A friend of mine may be taking some of them off my hands; if you are interested, I can push him to make a decision and then I'll let you know if any of them remain available.

We (and anyone else interested) can communicate via DM here on this going forward.

Interesting ... according to Cap Friendly he's waivers exempt, which for some reason I wasn't expecting. They really are just filling a giant sack with defensemen.
Skaters who sign their first NHL contract at age 24, are waiver exempt for 2 seasons so long as they don't play 60+ NHL games before those 2 season are up (regular season and playoffs). If he signed at 25 he would only be waiver exempt for 1 season. At 23 it would be 3 seasons.

Skaters who sign their first NHL contract at age 24, are waiver exempt for 2 seasons so long as they don't play 60+ NHL games before those 2 season are up (regular season and playoffs). If he signed at 25 he would only be waiver exempt for 1 season. At 23 it would be 3 seasons.
Yeah ... my brain had him as "older" but he's not older enough to remove the exemption. That's good. They can allow him some time in the A to acclimate without recall issues. He's definitely the class of player that you'd lose to a waiver claim.

The big move day could be coming any day here. Canes still have a lot of players to send down to the minors.

All of:

Stefan Noesen
Stelio Mattheos
Ryan Dzingle
Mackenzie MacEachern
Maxime Lajoie

Will need to clear waivers first. I don't expect the Canes to lose any of those players, but it is possible someone might grab Noesen.

There are still plenty of questions after that:

Derek Stepan - Are we signing him and giving him a roster spot?

Jack Drury - If Stepan is signed, is there even a roster spot for Drury?

Lane Pederson - Are we going to bury this guy's one way contract in the minors (he would clear waivers I would expect) or does he get a roster spot?

Ethan Bear - Trade or does he start the season with us?

Coghlan and Chatfield - Do both make the team? Chatfield has a 2 way for this season, but would have to clear waivers.

Definitely a lot to shake out here still. My prediction for the 'cap day' roster (and lines) is:

Turbo-Aho-Jarvis
Svech-KK-Necas
Stastny-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stepan-Kase

Lane Pederson

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
de Haan-Coghlan

Chatfield

Drury to the minors. Bear get's dealt. A lot of people are not going to like Stepan over Drury (and Drury won't like that either), but I think Rod wants that vet presence on that line and that right handed faceoff guy and Drury most certainly will be called up if necessary. Jack Drury's big opportunity will be next season, especially if Jordan Staal doesn't come back, but he should be able to claim at least Fast, Stepan or Kase's roster spot next season.

Last edited:
The big move day could be coming any day here. Canes still have a lot of players to send down to the minors.

All of:

Stefan Noesen
Stelio Mattheos
Ryan Dzingle
Mackenzie MacEachern
Maxime Lajoie

Will need to clear waivers first. I don't expect the Canes to lose any of those players, but it is possible someone might grab Noesen.

There are still plenty of questions after that:

Derek Stepan - Are we signing him and giving him a roster spot?

Jack Drury - If Stepan is signed, is there even a roster spot for Drury?

Lane Pederson - Are we going to bury this guy's one way contract in the minors (he would clear waivers I would expect) or does he get a roster spot?

Ethan Bear - Trade or does he start the season with us?

Coghlan and Chatfield - Do both make the team? Chatfield has a 2 way for this season, but would have to clear waivers.

Definitely a lot to shake out here still. My prediction for the 'cap day' roster (and lines) is:

Turbo-Aho-Jarvis
Svech-KK-Necas
Stastny-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stepan-Kase

Lane Pederson

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
de Haan-Coghlan

Chatfield

Drury to the minors. Bear get's dealt. A lot of people are not going to like Stepan over Drury (and Drury won't like that either), but I think Rod wants that vet presence on that line and that right handed faceoff guy and Drury most certainly will be called up if necessary. Jack Drury's big opportunity will be next season, especially if Jordan Staal doesn't come back, but he should be able to claim at least Fast, Stepan or Kase's roster spot next season.
Great thoughts as usual CMal! I feel like Drury has not had an overly great camp and I could definitely see him going down in place of Stepan who Rod really does like in that right hand faceoff/vet presence guy. Bear and that $2 million cap hit seems excessive when you have that cheaper option on the right side in Chatfield. Pederson seems like a buried one way contract, especially if they decide to sign Stepan. Personally, I like what Stromwall showed in camp and he might be an older guy that could see a callup at some point this year if he plays well in Chicago, he seems to have some offensive skill and speed that translates well to what the Canes like to do in that up tempo style.

Honestly, Drury is the big picture issue that's more intriguing. The other stuff is just preference and roster management. But, the club has to be hoping that Drury can fill a void next season when they transition away from some veterans. And he's only on his cheap ELC for one more season after this one, so you'd have to assume that he'll need his apprenticeship year now if they're going to get value out of him next season. I have a hard time justifying keeping Stepan for what will certainly amount to his retirement season over that kid. Stepan had a great pre season, but he had that last year too ... and was nothing better than replacement level and got benched in the playoffs. Is he going to do better this season? I mean, maybe ... but it would defy common sense. If not then what exactly is the point of having Stepan in the top 12?

Honestly, Drury is the big picture issue that's more intriguing. The other stuff is just preference and roster management. But, the club has to be hoping that Drury can fill a void next season when they transition away from some veterans. And he's only on his cheap ELC for one more season after this one, so you'd have to assume that he'll need his apprenticeship year now if they're going to get value out of him next season. I have a hard time justifying keeping Stepan for what will certainly amount to his retirement season over that kid. Stepan had a great pre season, but he had that last year too ... and was nothing better than replacement level and got benched in the playoffs. Is he going to do better this season? I mean, maybe ... but it would defy common sense. If not then what exactly is the point of having Stepan in the top 12?
Right Handed Center.

I'm not going to complain if the Canes don't offer Stepan a contract, you are not wrong on anything you said above JB. I just have a feeling that in the end Stepan is going to be signed and play quite a bit mostly because he is a right handed Center.

And Martinook’s contract remains the gift that keeps on giving.
Yeah, unfortunately Martinook is not anything like the 25 point full season grinder we saw in his first season. He is taking up a roster spot now.

I could see the Canes buying Martinook out in the next offseason if this season doesn't go well. The way his contract is structured, buying him out the final year of his contract would have actual payouts of $900k x2, but the actual cap hits for those 2 seasons would be $0 in 23-24 and $900k in 24-25. If I'm the Canes that is going to be pretty hard to resist if Martinook only plays half of the games this season because of injury (or just because we play other players).

Love Marty the personality, he's just not very good at playing hockey at the level the Canes are now at. Yeah you need grinders, but he's just useless out there, if he's even available to play.

Back