• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Training Camp Thread

I’m in the camp that Drury has to make the team this season if they think he’s a Staal level replacement next season. I think there could be multiple players moving to clear out Bear. Wouldn’t surprise me if that makes a spot for Drury.

Right Handed Center.

I'm not going to complain if the Canes don't offer Stepan a contract, you are not wrong on anything you said above JB. I just have a feeling that in the end Stepan is going to be signed and play quite a bit mostly because he is a right handed Center.
Short term problem, while the Drury situation is a big picture issue. Find some other slob to take right handed draws. One who can keep up with the rest of the guys.

Dzingel, Lajoie and Pedersen were placed on waivers, so the cuts have started.

But wait, there’s more. And Gregorii Dronov, we hardly knew ye.

Answered the question of whether or not he would play in Chicago. No, apparently. Not a shock. I was surprised he signed a two-way deal in the first place.

So that answers the question on Pederson. To start, he is going to be an expensive stash in the minors.

That also leaves open the question on who the 13th forward will be (if there even will be a 13th forward to start, which isn't a certainty).

Still TBD on Stepan vs. Drury (both?), and Noesen and the three 3rd pair RHDs. If they LTIR both Gardiner and Pacioretty, they can delay having to expose anyone else to waivers (for now). Let Stepan walk, and go with:

Turbo-Aho-Jarvis
Svech-KK-Necas
Stastny-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Drury-Kase

Noesen

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
de Haan-Coghlan

Chatfield, Bear

Gardiner's LTIR alone doesn't provide enough relief to ice that roster, but adding in Pacioretty's does. But that means that we will have very little flexibility down the road to make moves unless we start to move out money (Bear) as the season progresses. Banking cap space? Doesn't look good at the moment.

I figure you end up with 2 out of the Drury, Noesen, Stepan group. I doubt they'll keep Drury as a 13th F, so there's some decisions to be made there. Noesen belongs on the first line in Chicago, honestly ... but what do I know?

On D ... Bear or Chatfield have to go. Chatfield is easier to send down and Bear is MAYBE easier to trade. Who knows? I'd have moved Bear months ago. Also, they could waive Bear and risk losing him for nothing. That basically takes care of the cap issue, but puts an expensive contract in Chicago. And not exactly for a marquee player, either.

As for banking cap space, that was out the window as soon as Gardiner had whatever setback he had that rendered him LTIR fodder again.

I figure you end up with 2 out of the Drury, Noesen, Stepan group. I doubt they'll keep Drury as a 13th F, so there's some decisions to be made there. Noesen belongs on the first line in Chicago, honestly ... but what do I know?

On D ... Bear or Chatfield have to go. Chatfield is easier to send down and Bear is MAYBE easier to trade. Who knows? I'd have moved Bear months ago. Also, they could waive Bear and risk losing him for nothing. That basically takes care of the cap issue, but puts an expensive contract in Chicago. And not exactly for a marquee player, either.

We’d get $1.125 million of cap relief for Bear in Chicago, so he’d still cost $1.075 million against the cap.

We’d get $1.125 million of cap relief for Bear in Chicago, so he’d still cost $1.075 million against the cap.
Better than keeping him around as a $2.2 million spare part. There's now two guys on the roster to do what he does, arguably better, for less than he costs combined. Why that dude is still on the roster remains a mystery to me.

Better than keeping him around as a $2.2 million spare part. There's now two guys on the roster to do what he does, arguably better, for less than he costs combined. Why that dude is still on the roster remains a mystery to me.
He’s theoretically a tradeable asset that they probably though they’d be able to move. Unfortunately, there is no trade market for an overmatched dman. Even a right shot dman.

Best thing that could happen with Bear is to waive him and then he get picked up by anyone. No one is going to give you even a 9th round pick for him.

Apparently it’s not a Bear market by all accounts then…
Stepan seems like a future coaching candidate and a really good dude, if he doesn’t get a contract here in the next few days it might be the end of the line from a playing standpoint.

Has anyone seen an official statement as to what date the 'last day of training camp' is as far as the NHL is concerned this season? Is the league enforcing tomorrow (October 7th) with Nashville and San Jose playing the first game that actually counts, as the day that all teams need to be cap compliant?

If so, today and/or tomorrow will be a very busy day across the NHL.

I don't think those European games have been the official start of the season in years past. Everybody else is blithely still playing pre season games, after all. I'm thinking those teams playing real games early will need to be cap compliant but everybody else has until the day before the first North American game ... so, like 10/10?

Either way, the last set of roster decisions needs to be done in the next 3-4 days for everyone.

Has anyone seen an official statement as to what date the 'last day of training camp' is as far as the NHL is concerned this season? Is the league enforcing tomorrow (October 7th) with Nashville and San Jose playing the first game that actually counts, as the day that all teams need to be cap compliant?

If so, today and/or tomorrow will be a very busy day across the NHL.
There's a whole slate of preseason games on Saturday, so I can't imagine this does into effect until after those games.

Per the "Mandatory Cap Compliancy & Opening Day Rosters Due" countdown clock on CapFriendly's home page, the deadline is 5PM EDT on Monday.

Last edited:
Per the "Mandatory Cap Compliany & Opening Day Rosters Due" countdown clock on CapFriendly's home page, the deadline is 5PM EDT on Monday.
There ya go. I looked for that and failed to find it, but the good people at CapFriendly always seem to come through.

Back