• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Training Camp Thread

If Drury is going to be the heir apparent to Staal next year, he has to play in the NHL this year.
I thought KK was the heir apparent. If KK can’t do the heavy lifting this year, then Drury has to start getting more NHL minutes.

I thought KK was the heir apparent. If KK can’t do the heavy lifting this year, then Drury has to start getting more NHL minutes.
If Trocheck had stayed then KK probably would have replaced Staal. But he replaced Trocheck at 2C, between Svech and Necas. So we’re going to need a 3C next year.

People I know on both sides of the aisle who work in and around the NCGA sound confident that some form of sports gambling leglaization is happening sooner rather than later.
Oh, almost certainly. It only failed by the slimmest of margins when a legislative package that was anchored by sports betting fell apart. IIRC it wasn't the gambling that was the problem, the agreement on the secondary legislation fell apart.

If Trocheck had stayed then KK probably would have replaced Staal. But he replaced Trocheck at 2C, between Svech and Necas. So we’re going to need a 3C next year.
Yeah, I look at this season as the one that will determine if Kotkaniemi is a 2C or a 3C ... by which I mean, an offensive center who can forecheck or a defensive center who can pitch in some offense. Either way ... with that contract, he's not going anywhere.

My wife just heard that we put Martinook on waivers? Anyone confirm that yet?

That would make sense to do, I would just be surprised if we really did it. And of course that doesn't necessarily mean he is going to the minors. Might just be positioning to maximize the cap opportunities using LTIR.

My wife just heard that we put Martinook on waivers? Anyone confirm that yet?

That would make sense to do, I would just be surprised if we really did it. And of course that doesn't necessarily mean he is going to the minors. Might just be positioning to maximize the cap opportunities using LTIR.

That scheme PuckPedia lays out gets Carolina the last drop of available use out of LTIR. You may as well do it if you can get away with it. And if somebody decides they can't do without Martinook, then the Canes will certainly live. They'd miss his leadership/personality, but that's about it.

No one will waste that kinda cap space on a fourth liner like Martinook, but boy if someone did pluck him off waivers the Canes would be doing handstands in celebration.

No one will waste that kinda cap space on a fourth liner like Martinook, but boy if someone did pluck him off waivers the Canes would be doing handstands in celebration.
It’s not the cap space per se. In real cash, he’s getting $4.5 million cash the next 2 years, $1.8 million this year and $2.7 million next year.

Rosters have to be final at 5 pm today. So we’ll see which of Noesen, Drury or Stepan lost out on sticking because of Martinook.

Tim Gulitti has an article on nhl.com from last Friday on a Jordan Staal extension. It sounds like it’s not if it happens but when. Waddell said it’s in “the near future”.

Rosters have to be final at 5 pm today. So we’ll see which of Noesen, Drury or Stepan lost out on sticking because of Martinook.

Tim Gulitti has an article on nhl.com from last Friday on a Jordan Staal extension. It sounds like it’s not if it happens but when. Waddell said it’s in “the near future”.

I'm good with a Staal extension so long as it accurately reflects where he'll be as a player during the contract term. Jordan is still a darned effective defensive center and a solid leader, but he was wildly over-paid for the bulk of his last contract. No need to be rewarding the guy at this point. Pay him what he's actually worth and keep it to a one or two year term.

Anyone get a scoop on who is at each of the assigned autograph tables for tonight's full STM event? I have Table 'F'. Neither my daughter nor I are inclined to stand in a huge line for autographs, but we both have a jersey we would get signed if a specific player is at 'Table F'.

Per Chip, these are the lines and pairings at practice today.

Teravainen-Aho-Jarvis
Svechnikov-Kokaniemi-Necas
Stastny-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Drury-Kase (with Stepan, Noesen)

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
de Haan-Coghlan
Chatfield-Bear

One of those guys listed above will not be on the opening night NHL roster. Still waiting to find out who. Waddell made it pretty clear Martinook is not going to the minors.

Chatfield, Bear or Noesen would have to clear waivers. All 3 of them will be on the 5PM roster set today as they would have had to have been waived yesterday if that was not to be the case, but that doesn't mean that they will be on the roster Wednesday night.

Back