• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Training Camp Thread

Noesen and Chatfield? Would anyone really claim either of them off of waivers with the one way 2nd year on their contracts?

Surely, the 2 tbd dates will be some sort of reverse retro jersey?
I believe that is correct, the reverse retro jerseys have not yet been released but you would think those two open games would cover that for the upcoming season. Six different jerseys by one team in a season must be a record.

Salary cap gymnastics for the Canes:

Martinook and Drury to Chicago
Kochetkov and Rees recalled
Gardiner to LTIR
Pacioretty to non-roster injured

To maximize their cap, they had to get to $86.55 million, the cap of $82.5 million plus Gardiner’s $4.05 million. They came within $13,916, coming in at $86,536,084

Applying Gardiner's LTIR with that roster gets the Canes just about as close as you can hope to get to maximizing LTIR ($13,916).

That sets our ACSL (Accruable Cap Space Limit) at: $82,486,084. A reminder of what makes that ACSL important. If the Canes roster AAV falls BELOW that number, they can bank cap space. We stayed above our ACLS all last season. However, this season we might be able to drop below the number, but lots of moves would need to happen

Let's play this out.

Rees and Kochetkov head back to the minors -$1,681,667
Martinook is recalled +$1,125,000

(22 players)

We are ok here.

However, we have been given indications that Stepan will be signed. If we do that after sending Rees and Kochetkov down and calling Martinook back up, something has to give still. If we replace Noesen with Drury we are even further out of compliance. If we also sent Noesen and Chatfield down, signed Stepan, and recalled Drury:

Chatfield and Noesen to minors -$1,525,000
Drury is recalled +$925,000
Stepan is signed (guess) +$800,000

-$3,206,667
+$2,850,000

We would be ok with that roster.

So there is still stuff to figure out for the Canes. Trading Ethan Bear would make it much easier for the Canes to maneuver.

Last edited:
Unless they make another move or two, they don't have space to sign Stepan to the big roster. Plus, I think they have to make room for Martinook's full cap hit also, since they made it clear that was just a roster move. I think sending Kootchie and Rees back to Chicago makes enough room for Martinook, but not both him and Stepan.

OK, so the general feeling seems to be that the Canes will LTIR Pacioretty now, so they can use the extra space to bring Martinook back and sign Stepan to a one year deal, but will keep the 8 defensemen on the roster. Rees and Kootchie would go to Chicago and Drury would stay there. That buys them until Patches is ready to come back (looking like January) to settle the defensive surplus. It would also give them effective cap flexibility for recalls in the meantime.

I guess ... who knows? There's a game tomorrow so somebody better do something unless they plan on a 4th line of Rees centering Noesen and Kase, which is not a thing that happened for a single second in camp.

OK, so the general feeling seems to be that the Canes will LTIR Pacioretty now, so they can use the extra space to bring Martinook back and sign Stepan to a one year deal, but will keep the 8 defensemen on the roster. Rees and Kootchie would go to Chicago and Drury would stay there. That buys them until Patches is ready to come back (looking like January) to settle the defensive surplus. It would also give them effective cap flexibility for recalls in the meantime.

I guess ... who knows? There's a game tomorrow so somebody better do something unless they plan on a 4th line of Rees centering Noesen and Kase, which is not a thing that happened for a single second in camp.
And if they do put Patches on LTIR, they can bring him back when he’s ready without having to deal with a cap issue, correct? Since he was included in the ACSL?

And if they do put Patches on LTIR, they can bring him back when he’s ready without having to deal with a cap issue, correct? Since he was included in the ACSL?
That's right* ... so long as they create enough space to fit in his prorated cap hit when they go to add him to the active roster. You couldn't practically use all of his $7 million hit, but it would allow you to, for example, carry Bear's contract for a couple of months while you find a trade partner for the guy without giving him away for free.

*Or at least I think that's right

Today’s lines. Stepan is practicing but as of now, he has not been signed.

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis
Svechnikov - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Stastny - Staal - Fast
Noesen - Stepan - Kase

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Pesce
de Haan - Chatfield
Bear - Coghlan

Today’s lines. Stepan is practicing but as of now, he has not been signed.

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis
Svechnikov - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Stastny - Staal - Fast
Noesen - Stepan - Kase

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Pesce
de Haan - Chatfield
Bear - Coghlan
Pretty strong signal that the roster speculation above is accurate. Again, there's a game tomorrow so Roddy's not out there practicing a group that won't be available on game day.

It will be fun to watch who emerges with those bottom four D of Coghlan/Dehaan/Chatfield and Bear...three righties and one leftie and I know they have asked Coghlan to perhaps play the left side some. Rod likes what he likes sometimes and if he sees a steady pair emerge early he will likely ride that more than play the revolving door every night.

Pacioretty to LTIR would allow us to 'kick the can down the road' on decisions.

Rees and Kochetkov head back to the minors -$1,681,667
Martinook is recalled +$1,125,000

Then sign Stepan, +$750k

With everyone else on the roster, that is slightly more than our Gardiner LTIR relief pool allows for. However, putting Pacioretty on LTIR gives us another $7,000,000 in relief pool. We could cover the above moves and keep the rest of the roster intact if we put Pacioretty on LTIR. But once Pacioretty is back, we lose his relief pool and need to be back at a total roster AAV (including Gardiner) of $86,536,084 or below.

If you kick the can down the road for now with Max on LTIR, is it realistic to think that by then when Patches is close to returning you have managed to trade away Ethan Bear and perhaps with a sweetener or two, you could find a new home for Martinook and/or Gardiner as well? It just seems like a good chunk of cap space...when Patches eventually returns sometime in the New Year to clear off the roster.

If you kick the can down the road for now with Max on LTIR, is it realistic to think that by then when Patches is close to returning you have managed to trade away Ethan Bear and perhaps with a sweetener or two, you could find a new home for Martinook and/or Gardiner as well? It just seems like a good chunk of cap space...when Patches eventually returns sometime in the New Year to clear off the roster.
You can't move Gardiner. Without his LTIR, you'd have to slice $4 million out of the AAV pot. That would be significantly difficult. With Pacioretty, it's easier because you're only using him to cover the over-run on defense. Move Bear and that issue is solved ... presuming they don't get greedy with it and do something Vegas would do.

And this is Gardiner's last official contribution to the home team. His contract is up in July unless they re-sign him for some unfathomable reason. He does play D, so never say never I guess.

I'd like to think the Canes will get busy shedding Martinook at some point before having to pay him $2 million to be a glorified hype man next season, but ... Bear is still freaking here, so who the heck knows?

Back