• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Kent Hughes named GM - 5 year deal

Most players in the NHL right now weren't even born the last time this team won the Cup so stuff like "tradition" and seeing banners in the rafters isn't going to convince anyone with options to sign with the Habs. This team will only attract and keep good players if it wins. Players will overlook a lot of other things in order to play for a winner and a perennial Cup contender. But they won't put up with the challenges of living in that market for anything less than that if they don't have to. I'm from there and even I couldn't blame a player for not wanting the aggravation because I got fed up and left too. I miss it sometimes, but not enough to ever move back.

It was a huge mistake for the Habs to build their practice facility in Brossard rather than somewhere on the West Island and it's another mistake in steering players, especially those with wives and children who don't speak French, to buy houses near the practice facility. That's just dumb and it leads to the kind of unfortunate incidents like when Petry's wife got harangued for not speaking French when she was grocery shopping. Every Anglo Quebecker knows where the no fly zones are. If you're an American player like Petry, with an American wife and 3 kids, you don't live in fucking Brossard unless you first invent a time machine and go back to 1967. In 2022 it's a ludicrous proposition. Downtown condo, Westmount, Hampstead, gated community on Nun's Island or somewhere on the West Island. That's your lane unless you want to be made to feel like a foreign exchange student.

If the Habs want to attract more top end talent they're going to need to hire some Anglos who know how things in Montreal work for linguistic minorities and have them liaise with the players and advise them on how to navigate their way around town. Lesson #1 should be not to live anywhere that you have to take a bridge to get to.

They simply need to draft and develop their own and build a core

Its the lifeline to all successful teams

Expecting a handful of players like Panarin or Pronger who are available once a decade to move your needle is wishful thinking

Once acclimated Habs draftees have no issue retaining players

Grossly overpaying secondary players to come here results in more Alzner and Savard mistakes

The new regime has to nail drafting and developing and using COMMON SENSE filling the roster

They need to be SOB`S like Ujuri who will move heaven and earth , and have no issues pissing off the media when they move beloved players .

The 2 runts have to convince Price , Gally , and Petry to pack your bags and move on

Good thing is they have no ties with anyone and no one cares if they hurt their feelings

Reactions: CH1
Hard pass on Roy. His arrogance may have been well deserved as a player but I want more of a team player in the coaching ranks. Don’t need internal schisms based on ego
Give DD one more year for the tank

Dude needs a fair chance

Team goes to the finals even though they had no business making the playoffs

Covid / massive injuries , trying to coach a Thursday night beer league most nights

He wont hurt our mandate for 1 more year

Another coach will do squat to move the needle with these shleps we have

Massive turnover upcoming , get a better coach when you need one

Give DD one more year for the tank

Dude needs a fair chance

Team goes to the finals even though they had no business making the playoffs

Covid / massive injuries , trying to coach a Thursday night beer league most nights

He wont hurt our mandate for 1 more year

Another coach will do squat to move the needle with these shleps we have

Massive turnover upcoming , get a better coach when you need one

There is no need to hire another coach that you don't fully believe in. But if the right candidate becomes available, then you have to move.

There is no need to hire another coach that you don't fully believe in. But if the right candidate becomes available, then you have to move.
As Hughes correctly pointed out yesterday there is no one size fits all coaches: “Trotz is the perfect fit for Isles roster, just as Cooper is the perfect fit for TBay roster”

The only way I switch coaches here is
a) someone obvs better
b) DD system is really impractical gibberish
c) Gorton has a pal in mind that could grow into the gig

Is there a chance a non francophone coach takes over

I dont see another retread shlep ever coming in

Any idea if there are any up and coming younger coaches they might be looking at

The only way I switch coaches here is
a) someone obvs better
b) DD system is really impractical gibberish
c) Gorton has a pal in mind that could grow into the gig
or d) DD is seen as a detrimental to player development.

Reactions: CH1
Back