• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

I don't really blame Carolina for playing this game, if they want to get back at Bergevin. All's fair and Bergevin should have factored that into his original decision to offer a useless offer sheet to Aho-should have known Carolina might try to screw him at some point.

Having said that, I've never had much use for that that Carolina outfit since Koivu had his eye carved up. No, come to think of it, before that. I never liked Hartford either....a playoff obstacle that had to be dealt with in the 80s, and a stupid theme song I had to endure when they would score and delay their eventual defeat at our hands. Its only fitting this franchise would be involved in this sort of stuff. .

So is tomorrow the day MB makes the big splash trade for another centre and says goodbye to KK?

I think he will be burning the midnight oil until the KK offer deadline.

I don't really blame Carolina for playing this game, if they want to get back at Bergevin. All's fair and Bergevin should have factored that into his original decision to offer a useless offer sheet to Aho-should have known Carolina might try to screw him at some point.

Having said that, I've never had much use for that that Carolina outfit since Koivu had his eye carved up. No, come to think of it, before that. I never liked Hartford either....a playoff obstacle that had to be dealt with in the 80s, and a stupid theme song I had to endure when they would score and delay their eventual defeat at our hands. Its only fitting this franchise would be involved in this sort of stuff. .
Brass bonanza just for you...

Agreed KK has the physical frame outline to potentially do so, but I’m getting less & less convinced he has the skills toolset to accomplish the high reward return.

Skating hasn’t really shown improvement 3-NHL seasons in, neither has his stamina to stay on his skates for more than a 2-4 game stretch after coming in fresh, and I just don’t see any type of WOW factor to his game which would signify potential “high reward return”

Skating is much improved , the stamina and man strength need work

He never had the WOW factor , we are way overestimating his upside

Same as BT , there was no wow factor .

KK was touted as a 2 way C topping out in 60-65 point range , which is fine .

Keep in mind he was a pick that needed more time than anyone else in the top 5

Last year should of been his rookie season , he needed 4 years before you assess his game .

This is a big season for him wherever he plays .

I won’t be upset either way. If they match or let him go. I honestly think it’s 50/50. That he turns into what we think. Or he is another galchenyuk.

Agreed KK has the physical frame outline to potentially do so, but I’m getting less & less convinced he has the skills toolset to accomplish the high reward return.

Skating hasn’t really shown improvement 3-NHL seasons in, neither has his stamina to stay on his skates for more than a 2-4 game stretch after coming in fresh, and I just don’t see any type of WOW factor to his game which would signify potential “high reward return”
Chronological age isn't relevant here. He's had 3 years to adapt to playing in the NHL. He is what he is. To expect improvement he needs to do more than physically mature. His problem, and why he struggles while Suzuki thrives comes down to what's between the ears. Suzuki thinks the game at a high level. KK is a friggin' dummy who gets by (sometimes) on physical talent. His hockey IQ is low and if he still can't win a faceoff after this much time in the league then it's either a work ethic issue, a lack of skill issue or both. He may wear the same number as Bobby Smith but he's never going to be another Bobby Smith. His ceiling simply isn't high enough to warrant sweating over this offer sheet. Let him walk.

At this point, what's your gut feel? Is Bergevin matching or nah?
Yes . . . if he can’t acquire another 2/3 center by 5 pm tomorrow. KK’s not worth that salary at this point but MB won’t just tank the season - you don’t sign Mike Hoffman if you’re tanking - regardless of whatever longer term problems could result by matching. He’ll deal with that later. They let Danault walk in large part because they thought that Suzuki and KK were ready to be the top 2 centers. Jake Evans is not a top 2 lines center.

There has to be some sort of “agreement” between KK and the Canes on an extension after January 1. Even Dundon wouldn’t be dumb or spiteful enough to give up a first round pick for just one year of KK as he’s hardly a difference maker at this point.

Yes . . . if he can’t acquire another 2/3 center by 5 pm tomorrow. KK’s not worth that salary at this point but MB won’t just tank the season - you don’t sign Mike Hoffman if you’re tanking - regardless of whatever longer term problems could result by matching. He’ll deal with that later. They let Danault walk in large part because they thought that Suzuki and KK were ready to be the top 2 centers. Jake Evans is not a top 2 lines center.

Hoffman signed the best offer he got , nothing to do with tanking

We needed a Tatar replacement at the right price

Nero is most likely getting ripped in trade offers right now knowing our situation

Matching will cause salary issues with Nick and CC

I'd let him walk.....

But assuming we sign him, it's also a win-win for Habs: the pressure is all on KK now to produce. If he doesn't, he won't get great offers next year.

Never say never, but I hope we never match that offer.

KK will take at least 4 years (if he even gets there) to be a $4 million player let alone a $6 million player.
I disagree with your prediction. I think he's not far off being worth $4m. If he's playing on the 2nd line in Carolina he'll prove to be worth that range relatively soon. $6m+ though? That's another level and it's a few years away imo.

Either way... you have to make moves and weaken your team to match the $6.1m. Then what do you have? A guy making at least double what he should this year and doesn't appear to want to be here.

Take the pick, trade for a replacement and hope the Canes suck.

Chronological age isn't relevant here. He's had 3 years to adapt to playing in the NHL. He is what he is. To expect improvement he needs to do more than physically mature. His problem, and why he struggles while Suzuki thrives comes down to what's between the ears. Suzuki thinks the game at a high level. KK is a friggin' dummy who gets by (sometimes) on physical talent. His hockey IQ is low and if he still can't win a faceoff after this much time in the league then it's either a work ethic issue, a lack of skill issue or both. He may wear the same number as Bobby Smith but he's never going to be another Bobby Smith. His ceiling simply isn't high enough to warrant sweating over this offer sheet. Let him walk.
Two seasons played under covid restrictions and bullshit.

Funny I don't see this being said of Jack Hughes and many others.

Back