• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

Yes . . . if he can’t acquire another 2/3 center by 5 pm tomorrow. KK’s not worth that salary at this point but MB won’t just tank the season - you don’t sign Mike Hoffman if you’re tanking - regardless of whatever longer term problems could result by matching. He’ll deal with that later. They let Danault walk in large part because they thought that Suzuki and KK were ready to be the top 2 centers. Jake Evans is not a top 2 lines center.
My sentiments as well

At this point, what's your gut feel? Is Bergevin matching or nah?
Krusty's response fits what I feel.

He'll drag it out until the last hour just because but eventually match unless a better center is available.

Either way... you have to make moves and weaken your team to match the $6.1m. Then what do you have? A guy making at least double what he should this year and doesn't appear to want to be here.

Take the pick, trade for a replacement and watch the Canes suck.

Yup

I disagree with your prediction. I think he's not far off being worth $4m. If he's playing on the 2nd line in Carolina he'll prove to be worth that range relatively soon. $6m+ though? That's another level and it's a few years away imo.

5 goal/20 point players are not worth $4million as early as next year in this market. Sorry. It will take him some time.

And I am not sure the kid has the drive to get better and prove his worth. Time will tell but I just don't like the player. I wished for David Desharnais many time when watching him the last two years.

Also, is entirely possible they've already decided to match and because of that they'll simply wait for deadline. We've all done this in the business world.

5 goal/20 point players are not worth $4million as early as next year in this market. Sorry. It will take him some time.

And I am not sure the kid has the drive to get better and prove his worth. Time will tell but I just don't like the player. I wished for David Desharnais many time when watching him the last two years.
One consideration that bothers me about matching is the pressure it will put on KK to perform at that salary level.

I just don't see them walking away though, not without a miracle and I'm not so sure Dvorak is that miracle.

He leaves you wanting more because he hasn't gotten to top gear yet. He's not the first.

Thornton was the same as was many others. Couturier too.

Also, is entirely possible they've already decided to match and because of that they'll simply wait for deadline. We've all done this in the business world.
Sure. If you're matching it does no one any good to do it sooner than required. Of course, when we told you guys that two years ago .... yeah.

It makes no real sense to match right away, or to decline. May as well wait it out and explore all your options.

Either way... you have to make moves and weaken your team to match the $6.1m. Then what do you have? A guy making at least double what he should this year and doesn't appear to want to be here.

Take the pick, trade for a replacement and hope the Canes suck.

This is the only logical choice to me. Like, if the team went and traded a 1st round pick for a very overpaid 2nd line C, I think people here would be roundly upset at that. And that's what matching would do.

I'm a lot lower on KK that others on this board. I don't see it. I haven't really even seen flashes of it. Young guys who'll become studs show flashes and need to work on consistency. Caufield and Suzuki at times have been the best players on the ice. Are they every game? Of course not, but they show flashes.

I haven't seen any flashes from KK like that. In a very small, bizarre sample size in the bubble, he was good. He's like Primeau for me. I don't see it.

He's had 3 years to start figuring it out and appears to be treading water. I don't want to hear Joe Thornton or Sean Couturier parallels. Both of those guys had experience dominating lesser leagues, something KK has never done.

I have no problem paying him 5 million on a 2 year bridge deal. This deal messes up our cap and our pay scale. How much does Suzuki ask for if KK is a 6mill player? 8.5?

The only thing preventing Bergy from taking the 1st and 3rd is the egg on his face from having his 3rd overall pick bust. If KK was the 15th pick in the draft, he'd be Carolina property already

I'm a lot lower on KK that others on this board. I don't see it. I haven't really even seen flashes of it. Young guys who'll become studs show flashes and need to work on consistency. Caufield and Suzuki at times have been the best players on the ice. Are they every game? Of course not, but they show flashes.

I haven't seen any flashes from KK like that. In a very small, bizarre sample size in the bubble, he was good. He's like Primeau for me. I don't see it.

He's had 3 years to start figuring it out and appears to be treading water. I don't want to hear Joe Thornton or Sean Couturier parallels. Both of those guys had experience dominating lesser leagues, something KK has never done.

I have no problem paying him 5 million on a 2 year bridge deal. This deal messes up our cap and our pay scale. How much does Suzuki ask for if KK is a 6mill player? 8.5?

The only thing preventing Bergy from taking the 1st and 3rd is the egg on his face from having his 3rd overall pick bust. If KK was the 15th pick in the draft, he'd be Carolina property already
Give that man a cigar.

At the end of the day, Kotkaniemi is what he is: another Timmins first round BUST.

Every time Timmins has a choice between an NHL ready player and a long term project with "upside" he just can't help himself. He's desperate for one of these off the grid picks to pan out so that he can self-gloss about how he was the genius who saw what no one else did. He's a petty, insecure person. That's why he's always in the gym pumping iron for no apparent reason. He's overcompensating. And given his draft record he should have been fired years ago.

Give that man a cigar.

At the end of the day, Kotkaniemi is what he is: another Timmins first round BUST.

Every time Timmins has a choice between an NHL ready player and a long term project with "upside" he just can't help himself. He's desperate for one of these off the grid picks to pan out so that he can self-gloss about how he was the genius who saw what no one else did. He's a petty, insecure person. That's why he's always in the gym pumping iron for no apparent reason. He's overcompensating. And given his draft record he should have been fired years ago.
busy chasing the next PK so Bergy can trade him because a lack of character. I figure Romanov has another season or 2 before he goes back to the KHL

Sure. If you're matching it does no one any good to do it sooner than required. Of course, when we told you guys that two years ago .... yeah.
That was a Dundon ego thing though.

I'll never understand insecurity from billionaires but they have them.

Give that man a cigar.

Again. Your opinion.

Back